Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Advice on a short longbed camper

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any advice re a new (to me) truck camper. We've used an F250 sb w a Lance 845 camper for quite a while and have been very happy with it.

Now we've got a bigger truck (2012 F450) and are starting to look for a new truck camper to use with it. It's a stout truck: GCWR 33,000 lb, can tow an 18,500 lb conventional trailer, 5,880 lb payload.

Just 2 of us so it doesn't need to be huge. 4 season (no slide outs, set-up for serious cold weather use). I'd like to be able to tow a fairly heavy trailer with the camper on so I don't want to have to use a hitch extension to tow. High end.

Any experience/opinions greatly appreciated!

Russell
La Plata, NM

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. I can't help you but others will be along shortly.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

I would check into the Northern Lite series TC. All models are non-slide Truck campers. You'll have to see which model is right by your perference. Some of the negitives are the smaller tanks F/W, Grey, and black, (Compared to the slide in Campers) and the price $$. They are rated a four season camper. Best of luck in your search.
Scott
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Wolf Creek, made by Northwood Manufacturing
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post
Wolf Creek, made by Northwood Manufacturing
Agree whole hardly with the Wolf creek. That is my first choice for myself.
OP with your F-450 either Camper will do. Just your preference will be your guide.
Best of luck.
Scott
Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #6

Some campers include a skylight. If you find a model you like, and it has a skylight, see if you can special order one WITHOUT the skylight - they won't be a good idea for winter camping. Too much heat is lost through them.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #8

tuckersnocat
Take a look at Truck Camper Magazine.com for ideas on truck campers and the articles on selecting a truck and truck camper.
Ben
Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #9

I was in the same boat with the hitch extension deal. Just purchased a 9" Arctic fox 860. While it does hang off the back of the bed the trailer i regularly tow has a decently long tongue and i dont THINK ill need any type of hitch extension. Havent even picked up the camper yet so i havent actaully tried it.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post
Some campers include a skylight. If you find a model you like, and it has a skylight, see if you can special order one WITHOUT the skylight - they won't be a good idea for winter camping. Too much heat is lost through them.
Why not have the best of both worlds and just put an insulated pad in the skylight opening. You can make one that has as much R value or more than the camper roof has. You then have the option of lots of light on those cloudy dreary days. I would not want to be without my skylight.