Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Airing down dually tires

Just finished an interesting article in TCM about driving the Dempster highway https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...pster-highway/.

Because of the rough road conditions the author recommends airing down the tires. I agree this is a good suggestion not only for comfort but to reduce the jarring throughout the TV and camper.

I've aired down the dually for short periods in sand and snow but this is many long miles of driving. I'm wondering if this is a safe practice to do with dually tires due to the potential for excessive of rubbing of the rear tires together. I can eyeball the tires and try to keep the air pressure high enough to keep them separated when standing still but with bounces and curves I'm concerned the rubbing over many miles might weaken the sidewalls. Thoughts?
dogbreath650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #2

You might want to jump forums to Ford Truck Enthusiast and search F450 Tire/Wheel Options There have been many discussion of issues (including the one you presented) that respond directly/indirectly to this question.

I first aired my Conti HSRs (225/70/19.5}down to 70/80 as that was the lowest in the Conti published weight chart that supported my load. That did not change the harsh ride of the HSRs that much. Finished a trip to Alaska, came home, had Toyo 920s (245/70/19.5) put on and the ride was improved dramatically (80/80psi). Other than cost, very pleased with this solution which addressed ride quality, a bit higher road clearance. My only caution with airing down is to respect the lowest psi the manufacturer stipulates for your particular tire.
grantrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #3

FWIW... remember that the duals are always moving at the same speed, so if they do press together, I'm not sure I'd call it "rubbing." It might also be worth adding a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer (assuming the wheel studs are long enough) between the duals for that occasion.

As long as speed is kept down (I'd say under 45 mph, maybe less), lower pressures should be okay. But I would still want to stop fairly regularly and feel the tires (or use an IR temp gauge on them) to be sure they aren't overheating from the load and the lower air pressure.

With my setup, I run 70 psi in the rear tires when the camper is loaded and I'm towing to ensure I stay within the tire load rating. I wouldn't want to drop below 50 psi.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #4

FWIW.... 2019 GMC Duramax Dually with TPMS screw on sensors on all 6 wheels is a TRUE PITA to air down / up. Once a week we travel an 18 miles semi-maintained road to reach civilization & shopping. Tried airing down yesterday and just got done going back to 70* front / 65* rear..... Ride aired down yesterday was HORRENDOUS! So for me I’ll pass on airing down... And that’s only my experience, yours might vary... NOTE: that was without the TC...
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath650 View Post
Just finished an interesting article in TCM about driving the Dempster highway https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...pster-highway/.

Because of the rough road conditions the author recommends airing down the tires. I agree this is a good suggestion not only for comfort but to reduce the jarring throughout the TV and camper.

I've aired down the dually for short periods in sand and snow but this is many long miles of driving. I'm wondering if this is a safe practice to do with dually tires due to the potential for excessive of rubbing of the rear tires together. I can eyeball the tires and try to keep the air pressure high enough to keep them separated when standing still but with bounces and curves I'm concerned the rubbing over many miles might weaken the sidewalls. Thoughts?

Under inflation is bad to start with, and if below the needed pressure to properly support the load, will decrease tire life and possibly lead to failure in Murphy's most impossible to service locations.

Convenience and comfort have a cost; what are you willing to sacrifice for those?
Old 08-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #6

Tires touching will cause a hole given enough time. tire squshes and then hit the other tire and conforms differently to each other and so the rubber is moving in a sense. Also rocks can and do get trapper in between the dual tires. You ever see big boulder in the middle of nowhere and wonder how they got there.... Dually truck and you don't want to be around when they fly out.... I have pulled my share of them out.
Military has moved away from dually setup and use Super singles. This is one place they really shine over dually setup...

IF you can safely air down go for it the comfort and ride will be better but you still need to carry the load maybe you can only go down 10 PSI from highway seeps but it still will ride nicer.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #7

Somewhat related:
Airing Down Duallys
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, tires