Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Alaska trip

Plan on driving to Alaska this July anyone done this trip and have any hints on what is important to bring and good routes and what to expect?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #2

Dave, we did a trip from OR to AK with our older Dodge W250 Cummins and 11.5' Caribou a few years ago. We went all over the place starting at Prince Rupert, BC with an Alaska ferry trip to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Sitka, Juneau, and terminating at Skagway. Then on to, possibly not altogether in this order, the Kennicott Copper Mine, Valdez, Homer, Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks, Chicken, Dawson City, YT, Hyder, and the trip was supposed to conclude by going through Banff and the other parks there in BC down through Glacier and back to OR. Instead of visiting the parks in BC and Glacier we made a beeline from Hyder to OR to see what was causing the pain in DW's chest. She is prone to anxiety and as I suspected that's all it turned out to be, but in my mind it's better safe than sorry. We had already visited Glacier several times and perhaps we'll get to the parks in BC later. It was a wonderful trip with much spectacular scenery.

We always take a variety of clothes for cold, warm, rain, etc. I think we needed them all. We first decided what we wanted to see then picked whatever roads took us there, some were good and some not so good, but all were passable.

While we were there I learned that, at that time, it was possible to take a shotgun through Canada if a permit was submitted and approved. This was a several month long process.

What will you be travelling in? We went in June-July, but there was less rain in July.

I think you will enjoy it at least as much as we did.

Steve

Old 12-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Customs information for you. Long guns are not an issue, but FedEx any handguns or semi auto AR-15 style firearms to Alaska direct-it isn't worth the hassle. If you have ANY doubt DECLARE IT.
What you can bring home to Canada - Travel.gc.ca
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

My brother and I did a two-rig caravan two years ago from Seattle to Fairbanks (via the Alcan Highway), Anchorage (visiting Denali along the way), down to Homer, and back to Seattle. The highway is paved (except for construction/repair sections) but some of it is very very rough, particular the 200-mile section from Whitehorse, YT to the Alaska border. Lots of frost heaves, road shifts, and potholes galore - hard to dodge them We had a great adventure, but it can be rough on the MH. We intentionally did not travel any of the notorious gravel highways for obvious reasons.

Both of us applied for and received our permits to transport a hand gun through Canada, but they really reamed me out at the border - the agent that processed my papers didn't know it was legal to transport a hand gun through Canada. After about an hour and half, she evidently figured she was misinformed and nonchalantly told me I was free to go. To top it off, we only had 7 days to make it to the Alaska border before the permits expired. Soooo, long story short, don't transport a hand gun through Canada. You must either mail it to someone that lives in Alaska or have it shipped from a reputable gun shop in the lower 48 to a shop in Alaska (for a fee I think). Long guns (rifles and shotguns) are ok to transport but check with customs to be sure what paperwork is required. Enjoy the scenery!!!!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

On the gun issue, I do remember trying to go through a small piece of Canada along the West side of Lake Superior years ago in order to get to the Michigan Peninsula. We had a shotgun and a .22/20ga OU. We were told that guns weren't allowed in Canada and as a result had to drive all the way down around Lake Superior and up to the peninsula. This could differ with the viewpoint of the person at the border, but if you plan to take a firearm I would recommend checking with the Canadian authorities several months before your trip just to be certain.

On the bright side, as a result of being turned back at the border we stayed overnight at a re-created fort near the mouth of the Pigeon River along the West Side of Lake Superior. We spent most of the next day visiting the facility and learned a huge amount about the early fur trade in that area. It was well worth the visit as was a visit to Greenfield Village in Michigan.

While I totally understand the reasoning behind not wanting to travel gravel roads any more than absolutely necessary, I would say that if you rule them out you will miss a lot. We travelled a lot of gravel while we were there and had no problems at all except the possibility (probability?) of a few paint chips.

Steve
Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

While you may wish to say you drove from Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway, it's not worth doing both ways, the Stewart-Cassiar is more scenic. The BC leg is worth adding time to. Alberta isn't so much.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
While you may wish to say you drove from Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway, it's not worth doing both ways, the Stewart-Cassiar is more scenic. The BC leg is worth adding time to. Alberta isn't so much.

I agree about the Cassiar. You can also make the round trip a rough figure eight. Start at Dawson Creek on the Alaska Hwy. at Whitehorse, go up to Dawson City and across the Top of the World Hwy to Chicken & Delta Junction. On the return, go down the Alaska Hwy to the Cassiar.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #8

Thank u all for the input we plan on 6 weeks July into august
Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

Sorry I failed to say I have a single wheel Ford F-350 and a igloo 9.5 northstar truck camper
Old 12-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

goodsamclub.com - their Open Roads Forum has a dedicated forum section on “ RVing in Canada and Alaska. “
This is a good information source for traveling to Alaska
They kind of beat the subject to death, so you should be able to find almost any information you want to know. If not already discussed on the forum, post your questions there.
I follow it regularly
Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #11

The only reason I wondered what you would be travelling in was to have some idea of the size. Your rig would probably put you in the ballpark of the $1500.00 it cost us for the ferry trip if it was something you chose to do. It is a fixed cost up to either 22 or 23 feet (I think) and so much a foot for vehicles over that. We were about .5 feet over the limit and had to pay by the foot. The only access to the towns along the Inland Passage is by water (Alaska Ferry) or air. Ferry reservations should be made in advance. IMHO, there are a number of places such as those and others you can get to that would either be inaccessible to a large MH, or very expensive (ferry) for them. We didn't have a toad, but took our TC everywhere we wanted to go.

Our truck is single wheel also. We had nearly new tires when we left and had no problems at all with them, or any damaged glass. I would guess our camper is significantly heavier than yours which should decrease your chances for tire problems.

All the best.

Steve