Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Arctic Fox 811

I am looking into getting AF 811 short bed on F350 diesel CC SRW 4x4. It has payload of about 3700lbs. AF 811 has dry weight of about 3400lbs. If I add 1000 lbs for a typical wet weight. I will be over by 700lbs. Is this too much?

Any AF 811 owners out there that can share their experiences?

Thanks much

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 01:08 AM   #2

I have the older model of the 811, known as the 860. not sure on the exact difference but from what ive seen they are almost identical. The previous owner had it on a 350 shortbed SRW but I have it on a long bed. IMO the long bed is a much better choice, weight distribution is much better keeping some weight off the rear axle. what year is your truck? what motor? by far the biggest issue you need to be aware of is tire weight ratings. a SRW truck will be about maxed out on tires even with the best tires out there. take a look though my thread, I have a good BFG blow out on me taking out the bedside.

New (to me) Arctic Fox 860!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a toyota tundra that I sold couple of years ago. Miss having a truck. I am looking to buy Ford F350 diesel crewcab 4x4 SRW shortbed. I will be using it for day to day so I do not want DRW or longbed. I just need to find the right camper that fit and AF811 is on top of my list. Lance 855S is close second. My wife and daughter will be traveling with me, so the added space of a slide would be nice. Just worried about the weight.

I have 40ft Fleetwood Revolution, but would like a TC for long distance exploring. Looking to do Banff, yellowstone, monument valley, bryce canyon, zion, and grand canyon loop from California next summer. Daughter is 10 now so, I would like to show her the country before I lose her to teenage years.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

I bet your total weight will be higher. Tires will be your greatest concern. Get the camper package, this adds a rear sway bar and is a cheap option. With the camper package, you get a slide in camper certification in the glove box. You will find that the camper certification lowers your payload by a few hundred pounds less than the door sticker states.
Look into Tork lift stable loads, these engage the overloads sooner and helps reduce sway.
You may need air bags to lift the rear a little.
Tork Lift frame mounted tie downs and Fast Gun releases will also subtract from payload.
Weight adds up quick, my camper has a dry weight(no options) of 3400lbs. With options and only 20 gallons in the fresh water tank(70 gallon capacity) gray and black tanks empty, I am a little under 5000lbs.This puts me right at my GVW. When I add my hitch extension(42"), jet boat(hitch weight 250lbs) I am a little under 400lbs over my GVW. Since I have a DRW, I have plenty of tire capacity and am under rear axle rating.
I also have a front hitch and cargo carrier(more payload eaten up), this adds weight to the front axle, which I lost because my camper is so long and the boat trailer.
Adding weight to the front axle really helps in the steering dept.
Take your new truck to a scale with your standard load of passengers and stuff. I bet you will find that your payload is less than what the brochure says, not including the caper certification.
skyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #5

Not exactly apples to apples, but I have AF811 on my 03 F350 CCLB SRW V10.

As previously stated, tires are likely to be your weakest link. I run 285's with 3750# weight rating per tire. I added a 2nd auxiliary/overload spring a couple of years ago and it made a HUGE difference in sag and handling. My truck handles the camper fine.

PM me if you'd like some pics or height measurements offline.

Good luck in your search. We love our AF811!
idaho_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Idaho Camper, do you know what your wet weight is?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #7

Fully loaded with water, food, and other supplies to last my family of 5 for 4 nights camping - including 2 6V Trojan batteries and full propane tanks - my camper likely weighs 4000#.

Keep in mind that my 811 is the long box model and does NOT have the built-in propane generator. I carry my Honda 2000 whenever I think I may need some extra electrons - which isn't all that often.

My center of gravity is about 12-18 inches (I think) forward of the rear axle.

I'm surprised your rig has a stated 3700# payload. I figured the diesel engine would eat into that rating by quite a bit. What year is your truck?
idaho_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't have the truck yet. I saw the literature that said 3700lbs. Also if I look at weight chart on fords website, they weight f350 CC SRW with diesel at 7600lbs. GVWR is 11400 so it's very close
Old 06-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

You have to take the brochure weights with a large grain of salt. For example, the brochure doesn't state whether they are talking about the lightest XL model or the heaviest King Ranch model and what options the truck comes with.
For my truck, the brochure states that I have a 5,990lb payload. I have the Lariat model, with a lot of options. With a full tank of fuel and one person in the truck and a couple of 100lbs in the rear seat, the camper certification says I have 4,990lb payload a 1000lb. difference.
Hauling a 10-14' tall camper is a lot different that hauling the same weight a foot or two above the bed rails, and that difference is reflected in the lower payload rating compared to what is stated in the brochure in addition to the weight of the different options.
The only way to get an idea of your true payload capacity is take the truck to the scales and weigh it with the # of people you travel with, stuff you normally carry in the truck and camper tie downs etc. If you have to remove the tailgate, which most people need to do you can subtract that weight.
My truck weighed 600lbs more empty than what Ford says. That # includes the air bags, compressor for the bags, stale loads, tie downs, front hitch, but doesn't include the 42" extension for the rear hitch or the front hitch cargo carrier.
Trucks almost always, weight more and have a lower payload(usually much lower), than one thinks.
skyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #10

The AF811 will be close to 3000 lbs before you load water and gear. I carried mine on a F250 while towing a 20' enclosed trailer behind me all over the the western half of the US. It can be done safely and competently.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #11

I am in the same decision space. One option I am considering is to order without a/c, generator, and microwave. Tv and antenna are also on the chopping block. Not that everyone agrees on needs & wants, but the dealer I spoke with said ordering without a/c is normal.
I am looking at the '17 super duty F350 crew cab SRW as well. 3700 ish lbs is what they end up around
Old 12-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #12

It sounds like you will be off-grid more often than not. Depending on where you plan to travel, you may want to think about keeping the AC. You don't want to get a camper then be limited where you can travel due to lack of AC. I know I cannot live in humidity without it and I had a taste of the dry heat in the SW where I was happy to have AC there too. It will complicate how you will power it - Every action has a reaction?

You may want the dual pane windows regardless of camping environment. Not only do they insulate from heat and cold, but also from sound.

Do you plan on a solar install? My 811 is prewired, but I never got to an install. My Host will have 3x160W from the factory to help recover some of my consumption...
Old 12-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #13

I personally only used a generator with my TT to charge the house battery. This is solved on a TC by using the truck. I never ran AC or microwave unless I had shore power. In AZ we head to the mountains in summer, and the desert in winter. I acknowledge you nay end up on the way somewhere and need some AC, but I would never plan to go camp where the temp wasn't pleasant. I'm not 100% decided, but those are my thoughts .
Old 12-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #14

Plan on running a dedicated charge line between the truck and camper. The standard line is insufficient for anything more than a trickle charge due to the gauge wiring used in the truck and camper.