Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #1

Arctic Fox 990

I am interested in this model, but will have to drive 6 hours to see one.
Can you get in and out with the slide in?
Is the quality of finishes higher than a Lance?
Thanks in advance.
Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswar View Post
I am interested in this model, but will have to drive 6 hours to see one.
Can you get in and out with the slide in?
Is the quality of finishes higher than a Lance?
Thanks in advance.
Chris
We, too, have looked for higher quality finishes than a Lance.

Finally found it in a Host - the Mammoth in particular. Seeing one of them would be worth a six hour drive.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

Let me first say Host, Lance and AF are all nice campers.
We were exactly in the same position a few years ago until we found a gently used truck and camper combo already put together that allowed us to see if we liked the lifestyle. We did!
We drove so some dealers and a manufacturer, flew to a another dealer to look and learn. This past fall we traded our Northern Lite 10-2 CDSE in.
At the end of the day we selected AF and ordered a new 990. Had it about a month or so. We just like the AF better than the Lance and we carry it on a dually so the extra weight of an AF was not really an issue. I think if I was driving a single wheel 3500 then I would have likely gone Lance. We really liked the layout of the Eagle Cap 960 as well but heard too many issues and a few dealers dropping them from their line up caused us to pass on them this time. Fortunately our dealer had Lance, AF, and Eagle Cap on on the lot so we could go from one to the other, to the other.
Yes, we can squeeze in to the untit w/o having to move the slide. I don't make a habit of it as it's a tight squeeze and I don't want to scratch the bathroom door or tear the upholstery on the dinette seat which you rub both to get in. We were told not to bump the slide out a few inches to make it easy to get in/out but rather, take it all the way out and then all the way in.
Good luck! If there is anything else I can answer to help, just ask.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #4

I had a 990 for 8 years. Loved it! Had very little go wrong and what did, happened early and was covered by warranty. Mine had the happijacks which I never cared for but understand the new ones have Reicos which I think will be better. Yes it is tight getting in with the slide closed, but we never had a problem popping it open a foot to make it easier to get in while in transit. If you are going to sit in the dinette, though, take it all the way out. I would strongly suggest carrying it on a dually. We started out on a F350 diesel SRW. It carried it, but I didn't realize how much my SRW was "over" loaded until I bought my dually. World of difference in stability and just overall handling. I bought a 5th wheel (also Arctic Fox) last year and traded in my camper as part of the deal. There are many days I regret not keeping it. I love the 5th wheel, but there's a lot to be said with throwing the camper in the back of the truck and driving up into the mountains through the "narrows" over dirt/rock roads until you find that special place overlooking the river 300 feet below you. You can't go wrong with a "fox." Just make sure you have a stout truck to carry it.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

Where are you located? Maybe there's an AF990 owner on here who wouldn't mind meeting you letting you walk thru theirs.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Idaho,
I am in PA. The east seems very light on truck campers. Not like the west coast. I know especially in the northwest they are very popular.
The only dealers near me are over 6 hours away in New Hampshire or North Carolina.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

Depends on where you are in PA. American RV in Grand Rapids MI and Mike Jones Motors on the west side of Cincinnati OH are AF dealers. I have been to both and was treated well. I am located on the western boarder of OH, about a half hour north of I-70 and would be glad to allow you to check our unit out. Truck Camper Warehouse looks like a great a place to deal with. I have corresponded with them but never visited.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyd View Post
Depends on where you are in PA. American RV in Grand Rapids MI and Mike Jones Motors on the west side of Cincinnati OH are AF dealers. I have been to both and was treated well. I am located on the western boarder of OH, about a half hour north of I-70 and would be glad to allow you to check our unit out. Truck Camper Warehouse looks like a great a place to deal with. I have corresponded with them but never visited.
Matty,
Thank you for the offer. I am in southeast Pa just west of Philadelphia. Was planning to go to NH this weekend, but it is motorcycle week up there and hotels are booked. Maybe next weekend.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:26 AM   #9

Although it's not the specific model you're looking at, I have the AF811. We bought it brand new in January of 2009 and it has been an excellent unit for us - a family of 5. Aside from having to have major roof repair due to tree branch falling, it has never been back to the dealership. We typically make 8-12 multi-night stays in it every year, and we've been on some very rough dirt/gravel roads.

We'd buy another AF again, no question.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #10

Chriswar-
What truck are you going to tote the AF on?
What options are you thinking of getting/removing?