Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Attaching a solar panel

What is the best way to attach a solar panel to my TC, Hopefully with no water leaks after install
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman12 View Post
What is the best way to attach a solar panel to my TC, Hopefully with no water leaks after install

What's a TC ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Truck Camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
What's a TC ?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Attaching a solar panel

I would use one of the flat frameless panels.....very light weight, and can just be glued down. They use them on boats for this reason....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426726140.088911.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	88883

http://www.aurinco.com
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 AM   #5

tc

How can one be on a Truck Camper forum and not know what "TC" stands for
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are several acceptable methods for leak-free installation of the panels to our "campers". Solar panels can fail and this was part of my planning. I used Uni-strut from Home Depot. I only had to put four small sections down and I'll be able to upgrade or change out the panels without making more holes in the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar panels installed.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	88998  
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Uni-Strut...Good idea...I would like to get into solar this year for my tt. The problem is...When we do camp at non-electric state and federal parks, I reserve a site in "full shade" to keep the RV cooler. Especially with a hybrid tt, if in full sun those bunk ends can really heat up.

I was thinking about the portable 120 - 140 watt ones (Go Power) with the extra cord to be able to move it around to sunny locations within the campsite. Even if I wanted to put panels on the roof, I have a flat roof and drilling holes in a perfectly good / sealed roof would make me very nerves.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
.....Even if I wanted to put panels on the roof, I have a flat roof and drilling holes in a perfectly good / sealed roof would make me very nerves......
You are right to be nervous. After some research I felt confident and the solar project actually helped me when it comes to taking care of the roof in general. Ex, cleaning, resealing, etc
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

If you have a fiberglass roof like a bigfoot ot northern light, then you can use sticky feet mounts that use 3M UHB tape and just glue on. Won't work with tubber roofs tho

Tags
solar, panel