Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #1

Manufacture Nov 1999. Does anyone have info on taking these elect jacks apart to clean and grease. How do the gears come off and or get the screw out of the jack cover shaft? I could not get happijac site to work or find on attwood site.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #2

Manufacture Nov 1999. Does anyone have info on taking these elect jacks apart to clean and grease. How do the gears come off and or get the screw out of the jack cover shaft? I could not get happijac site to work or find on attwood site.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JBailey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JBailey

I've had the same question for the happijac (used on Bigfoot camper)...several years ago began the following, done about every year.

(again, mine our happijac...however atwoods are probably similar).

1. Remove the jack (disconnect wiring, bolts on the bracket).

2. Happijac has two plastic plugs near the top...removed, and then pumped oil, and then rotated jack 180 degrees...several time, adding more oil each time....this is sort of messy but it gets the job done.

3. Last week I did something different. Removed the front jacks, turned upside down, drilled a 1/4-3/8 inch hole on the bottom foot. Then pumped oil from an oil can into the hole...again rotating 180 degrees several times to get oil distributed.

I put the jacks back on the camper....they really ran smoothly. No "strange" screeching sounds.

The happijac has a long threaded bolt...which moves the male portion of the jack. Very likely the screw gets dry and possibly dusty/grit/moisture and this results friction...screeching sounds coming from the jacks when operating, especially in raising the camper.

My next effort may be the following, in a few months. Drill through the male-female portions, install a grease fitting that will protrude into the threaded bolt area...next I will take a grease gun and pump a lot of grease onto the threaded bolt...then, remove the grease nipple and put place a small plastic plug (or tape) over the female portion of the jack to keep out dust and water.

I am kind of upset with happijac for not providing a good method for lubricating the threaded bolt.

The motor gears are pretty easy to grease...just remove the top cover and apply lots of grease.

I hope this helps...my happijacs are going on 9 years...I am sure if I had not taken proactive steps to get oil onto the threaded bolt, the jacks would have failed a long time ago,

HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #4

Looks like there would be some way to take them apart. I guess you have already tried. I tried to knock out the pin holding the top gear on, but would not budge. Do the dents on the bottom of the leg hold the male portion from going on out?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #5

I would suggest that you contact Attwood, via phone or e-mail, about the proper procedure.

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Steve_in_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #6

I suggest you listen to steve
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #7

Attwood was contacted. They say the screw part is not meant to be taken apart or cleaned. They sent a parts diagram to the top of the jack, but no instructions on taking it apart.