Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
Atwood manual jacks binding

I have a 95 Shadow Cruiser we just purchased. In great shape all around. Except the front right jack (Atwood manual crank) really binds up under a load. I tried taking it apart to see what may be up but could not see a way to get the vertical gear off? It has slot for a pin as the horizontal gear does but no pin that I can see. There is a small knurled shaft sticking out from the gear. The gear actually has a little slop to it on the shaft as well.

These are the kind where you push the tab in and step on them and they go to the ground. Ball screw? Except this one that binds won't go down

Any ideas on how it may come apart? Searching found a couple posts but they looked different than mine. Or if I need a new one, it seems you have to buy 2 of them as the mounting is different left to right. I don't need 2!!! I have not seen any of these on ebay but maybe I'm not using the right wording...

I should say I assume they are Atwood because they have a Atwood cap. I don't see any numbers on them anywhere. The number I find on the web is 84371 for a ball screw jack.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 35A W22
Hilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Did you check directly with Atwood? They have excellent 24 hour technical support for all their products, even if you're doing your own work. They came through for me one night with a jack retraction problem. Gave me the answers and faxed me some hand written diagrams even. Good luck.

NobodyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
I have an email in to Atwood asking for some assistance. I follow up if I get a response from them.
Thank You.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
Well the local truck camper dealer was of no help. Gave them all the info thinking they might have a better "in" than I. Not even a call back on it.

So, I did as suggested and sent an email straight to Atwood. Their response, "That thing is full of ball bearings and you don't want to take it apart", but we will sell you a new one for $360 plus shipping. Well yes, I kind of do want to take it apart and I know what a ball screw is!

So, I went at it again and found that what looked like a knurled shaft above the vertical gear is actually and nut! A very thin nut with loctite holding it in place. With that removed, the whole assembly comes apart. Mine was a little rusty. Unfortunately it is more in the recirculating ball part. Cleaning and oiling helped a little. It works but not great.

I'll keep my eyes open for a replacement but am not going to spend that kind of money on it. Other places online want $425 for 2 of them. That's great but I really don't need 2!!

atwood, jacks, manual