Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

back to a truck camper

It's been years since traveling and camping in my families 9.5' Mitchell camper, but I'm back to a truck camper. Just purchased, sight unseen, via Craig's List, a Hallmark Cuchera pop up truck camper from a older gentleman in southern Colorado. Sunday I take a 10 hour round trip to pick it up and see what I got. Yeah, pretty trusting to buy sight unseen, but I had a good feeling about this guy. I'm pretty excited about the move from a Trailmanor 3124KB, to something I can take off road. I may not be up to true overlanding just yet, but looking forward to getting off the beaten path. We'll see how the family adapts to the idea......more to come.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Welcome from Virginia. Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

Picked up camper today

Wow, 600 miles round trip in one day. "Met" our '93 Hallmark, got it loaded on the ol' Dodge, got the quick tour and instructions from the previous owner and headed home. The camper looks pretty good, some wear and tear, especially around the back door. This older model has the split door, the top portion folds down prior to dropping the top. The design is a bit problematic, no doubt why they aren't made this way anymore. The top is fiberglass and in great shape, but very heavy. It's going to be a chore to put up and down, no wonder the new ones are mostly electric. The fabric is in remakable shape for it's age, no tears, mold or damage, that's a nice suprise. Some of the screws here and there are stripped out, I'd be curious if anyone has advice other than oversized screws or packing the holes with toothpicks. Next step is to get a wiring harness made up and get a new battery. It'll probably be a few weeks before our first outing. Not much feedback from the family, I didn't get home with it until after dark.......we'll see.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #4

Top Heavy

I facebooked hallmark about the heavy top, and got a prompt and helpful response regarding possibly getting a bit more life out of the old torsion system. Thanks guys. A bit of confusion though....the top is fiberglass, I thought these older units had metal or rubber......still looking in to that, maybe a previous owner had it replaced. Oh, my wife told me today "it isn't as ugly as I thought it would be", that's a positive sign.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Fill the wood screw holes with golf tees, not toothpicks and you have good wood again.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

Truck and Camper

Found out that the Fiberglass top was an Hallmark Cuchera option in '93, a bit of a bonus, less maintenance. My soon to be 7 year old gave her stamp of approval to the camper today, wife looked it over too, and was a bit less enthusiastic, but still positive. Now I just have to get a wiring harness installed and take our first outing. I went through the owner's manual today too, not very informative, but the Hallmark guys have been really good about answering my questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0002 (2).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	9467   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0001.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	9468  

Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #7

Update on the Cuchara.....I discovered despite the fact that the bathroom has a hand held shower hose and a shower curtain over the door......there is no drain! What's up with that? The good news is that this camper doesn't have a tank directly underneath the toilet, but a space instead that allows for the P-trap. My solution... I got a laundry sink drain, a 90 degree elbow and connected it to a flexable washing machine drain hose that will be stored in the compartment under the bathroom, which is accessable from the outside, and can drain the shower into a bucket. Not perfect, but a save none the less. Also found out the the wiring harness is no longer being manufactured, so Hallmark is sending a recepticle to change out, and an appropriate plug to connect to the truck's wiring. Nothing is ever easy.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #8

Shower solution?

Here's a photo of the shower drain and hose I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0041.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	9625  
Old 04-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats DocDave...I went and picked up my first in a long time TC this past monday. I live fulltime in a A, but wanted something I could get around in some of the tighter spots. They sure have changed alot in 30 years. I bought a 2000 Tracker and am getting my truck set up for the haul. Airbags,Rancho Shocks, and a bed plug. Good luck with your find and Happy Trails..
Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Still no wiring harness from Hallmark, called them yesterday, supposed to have shipped out that day.....hope to have it soon. Weather is crappy here anyway, not likely to do much work on it anyway......
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrads, you are a better man thenI am. Couldn't live in less then our 35' A.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #12

i started out with a old holiday rambler lots of memories now i have a class a and a artic fox pull behind with 2 slides but i want a nother pu camper for ease of fishing looks like you got a deal
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #13

I'm pretty excited to get the Cuchara outfitted and on the road. I'd like to visit some of the Jeep trails in Colorado that I took with my CJ several years back, and camp on some of those spots. I remember a beautiful spot on Aspen mountian that would be really great. There's even a couple of places here in western Nebraska that I could get to, that the travel trailer couldn't visit. So many places, so little time.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #14

The wiring harness arrived finally from Hallmark last week, began the installation over the weekend, with some help from the future son in law. We got the camper all wired, some issues with the stop,tail,turn and backup lights to work out though. The truck is a bit more complex. There is a relay to install between the truck system and the camper. This allows the alternator to charge the camper battery, but disconects the systems when the truck is shut off to prevent drawing down the truck battery and stranding you somewhere. Had to call the guys at Hallmark to find out how to hook that up, but they were very helpful, and all is well. Turns out there is a battery connection, ground and a connection to a switched circut in the truck fuse box. We used the wiper circut. Also found a neat connector to slip in to replace a fuse, and add a wire. You end up with 2 fuses in one spot, pretty sweet. Also began installing the floor drain for the shower. That's going to work fine.