Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Has any one taken their TC over these hills? We plan on being out there in September and thought that this would make a great drive. Any special problems or warnings?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Has any one taken their TC over these hills? We plan on being out there in September and thought that this would make a great drive. Any special problems or warnings?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #3

Bear Tooth Pass from Red Lodge to Yellowstone is a real challenge. It would be better to go down through Cody Wy. and up from Yellowstone to Montana on Route 89. We talked to people who came across Bear Tooth Pass but did not want to do it again.

robert_cannell@sbcglobal.net
Robert Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #4

Been over it on my Harley. Don't think I would want to go over it with a TC. Unles your TC is a pop up on a short box. That road is steep & the switch backs are sharp turns. Beautiful drive though.

TankerYanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:23 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We did the Bear Tooth in June, came in from Red Lodge on into Yellowstone.

And I did it in this.

In this pic we where closing in on 11,000 ft. with the temp at 38 degrees in mid June.

Now don't get me wrong I was crapping my pants when the owner of the Red Lodge KOA told us we where crazy to even try it in our motorhome. But after a few miles in the switch backs we realized it really was no problem. The grade is about 7% and to be honest it was probably better going this direction than coming down into Red Lodge. You'll have much more braking coming from that direction.

If your rig is in good shape I say go for it!

You'll love the scenery.

Bill
Old 08-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
FranknKaren,

I'll second the "Go for it"!!!

Beartooth highway is a "Must See" item on your tour. Along with Warpath from the site, we were just out there in June this year and drove the highway from Red Lodge MT to the North East entrance of Yellowstone.

We made the drive without any problems in our 36' pusher towing a car. The pass is long and sections of it are moderately steep, but certainly driveable. The most difficult sections of the pass are due to the switchbacks rather than overall steepness. The turns are tight and with our rig's overall length approach 60 feet with the towbar and car, we did have to use all the road for swinging wide on the switchbacks.

We saw a few travel trailers, and other truck campers while driving the pass. Providing you've got a well set up camper, you should run the pass. You'll really enjoy it. If you do have any concerns while running it, there are plenty of pull-offs available to be used by slower vehicles and you can take a break along the way.

You can select my photo album to see more pictures, but I thought I'd post a couple here so you can see the actual beartooth highway.

This picture is of our rigs at one of the pull-offs while climbing the beartooths.

Decending the Beartooth highway.

It's hard to see, but at the bottom of the photo towards the right is the highway then again on the left side is the same highway carved into the side of the mountain.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the good info. We plan on being out there during the 3rd week of September. Maybe some fall leaf changes going on or maybe just Brrrr. Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #8

You have to drive that road. It is one of the most spectatcular paved roads in North America. It is not hard or difficult at all. You will absolutely luv it. It's about like Trailridge Road in Rocky Mtn Nat Park......but with grizzlies. But watch the weather, you will get some snow in Sept and by the 3rd week in Sept it may be closed. I would try to go a couple of weeks earlier. Call ahead.

If you have time, camp at one of the national forest campgrounds along the road, like Beartooth Lake CG. Perfect campground for a truck camper.

Also, stop at the "Top of the World" store. The owner is a "little" cranky because he deals with tourists all day long. But give him a little time and he's a cool guy with lots of local knowledge.

I once worked with a girl from Ooltewah. She said that was Cherokee for "Where the Owls Live". Any truth to it?

Brad
'96 Lance 500, '01 F-350 Powerstroke SC 4X4 SRW, Rancho 9000's, Air Lift Air Springs, Titan Hitch w/24" extension, Happijac Tie-downs, Line-X Bed Liner, 18' Bumble Bee / 150 ProV Yamaha, 16' Aluminum / 35 Honda
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #9

have driven it twice best was with my tc stopped a lot for coffee and VIEWS unbelieveable.....take your time...and watch the weather it changes fast....jim
Old 10-01-2006, 04:00 AM   #10

Go for it. We took our 10 ft Starcraft 1999 that weighed 3000# on an F250 7.5 single rear wheels and had no problem what so ever!! Just go slow, watch for pull offs and stop a lot. It is an unbelievable ride. Watch the weather!
We saw several motor homes and trailers on the trip. We went from Red House to Cody.