Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #1

We just got back from a 4 day camping/snowmobile trip to McCall, ID where temps. were down at approx. 20 below zero at night, around 10 degrees above during the day. Our camper did as good as could be expected. Since it's been a few years since I've really researched different campers, is there a certain brand of camper that is better for extreme cold weather camping? I know I definitely want my next camper to not have a front window! I know the newer Eagle Caps come with double pane windows - I'm sure that would help as well. Any input would be appreciated! Or is it just a bad idea to take any slide-in camper out in sub-zero temps?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2006, 01:15 AM   #2

For all I know Rockman is out camping right now, or he may answer for himself. But winter is the time they go camping in their Bigfoot. He's posted an interesting set up for solar power too. I think a search of 'Rockman' will help you out.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:00 AM   #3

hello Ryan, LK was correct, we just got back from a week of winter camping in minus 20 celcius. we off-season camp and avoid the summer months.

as far as which camper brands are better for cold weather camping, most offer a winter package but check out exactly what is included.
I have a preference for the 2 piece fiberglass shell designed campers, but that is my choice.

over the past 6 years of slide-in camping we have developed a list of refinements that make the winter months very enjoyable.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #4

I have a S&S camper built in Montana for the cold weather. I have been real comfortable in 3 degree cold, it is set up for storm windows, but I don't have them. On that trip the camper was setting off the truck on the jacks hanging exposed with nothing around it for ten days while hunting, with no problems.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Do you guys use your plumbing in extreme temperatures? Even though my camper has enclosed heated tanks and is called a '4 seasons' camper, they usually say you're only good down to around 15-20 degrees F. or so. As I mentioned, we were just camping in 20 degrees below 0 F.! I wonder if that puts alot of extra wear and tear on the camper. What extra things do you guys do for extreme cold? We have 3 big batteries, foam packed into the ceiling vents, insulation over the front overhead window, etc.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #6

You shoudl probably be looking at a Canadian built camper as they do not come with front windows.

Bigfoot & SnowRiver are the best all weather campers as far as I know. Snowriver has heat vents everywhere, even in the ouside shower compartment & closets. It also has automatic humidity removal ( a fantastic fan automatically opens & operates for a few seconds everytime the humidity rises too high) which is important when you are in an enclosed space in cold weather. Warm air is also circulated around the tanks, some manufacurers simply dump heat in there, but don't provide for it to move.

Wagon master for:
Caravanas de Mexico
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #7

I've heard Bigfoot are very solid for winter camping and Lance keeps winning that Alaska award. I've had really good luck with my AF, mine's a 2003 and I ordered it with the Front window delete option. Newer ones come standard that way. I camp in sub zero temperatures and do use my plumbing systems as my wife wouldn't go otherwise. Only problem I ever had was the cold line to the shower froze slightly but I was not smart and took the camper off the truck plus my battery's failed me at 3 AM that night and it was only 50 inside when I woke up. For really cold weather camping while using the plumbing keep it in the truck and pack some insulation in trash bags in the wheel wells. It's not necessary but eliminates that draft by your feet. Make sure your batteries are in good shape (I had let mine run dry, never again!). I also have a 100W solar panel which helps a ton for winter camping and I have the storm window option too. I put the 2" pink foam insulation sheet under the mattress since a lot of cold used to come up from the cabover and I lined the bottom of the cabinets in the cab over too, that helped. Some people put the silver stuff over the skylights but I've never felt cold air coming in from the ceiling. With two good fully charged batteries and some sunlight I can last for about 5 days with two LPG tanks. Without sunlight I have to run the generator more in the day to top the batteries up. I'm going to insulate a little more under the kitchen sink cabinets before next winter as I can actually see some daylight when I empty the junk out.

Long response but I've had 3 winters of experience with this.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #8

I also had a S&S camper and did have the storm windowa. It is very well insulated and has heated tanks and zoned heat even in the head. I liked it alot but we out grew it. Scotty.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:58 AM   #9

I just bought a Northstar Igloo 9.5 from East End Campers on Long Island. I am VERY IMPRESSED with this camper. I had planned on buying a lance but after inspecting the Northstar there was no question about what I was going to buy.Even though I have not and will not test it in extreme cold weather the owner of east end campers uses this unit for snow skiing and swears by it. All pipes are insulated etc. Call him and talk to him. He only deals in truck campers and is great to do business with.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:24 AM   #10

Where do you plan on camping this winter bboone52?

Can you match Rockman's -37'C?

Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #11

Ryan,
We had pretty good luck with the Bigfoot 10.6 camper. So far nothing have frozen up, and we kept ourselves nice warm inside anywhere between 17 to 23 C. We did however used up a 20 lb tank in two days. I can't say enough about as much batteries as you can carry. Makes it a more pleasurable and quiet stay. If you have shore power don't use an eletric space heater. The propane furnace ducts are designed to keep the holding tanks from freezing. I would however like to see propane furnace with a built in auxilliary electric heater. It would certainly reduce the frequency of changing the propane tanks.
Larry.

1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Ayeedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #12

I'm happy with my Citation...... It has 2" walls and Storm Tite double windows. I monitor the basement temps where the tanks are (wireless thermometer) and they stay warmer than the living space. No freeze ups down to -5 this winter.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #13

A little late but here is my two cents. We follow a BC Alpine athelete all winter in our Citation (General Coach) 10'6" camper. We have been in -23 degree weather alot and have had no problems. When we are connected to 110v we put a small ceramic heater in the bottom stowage area to ensure the tanks do not freeze. We pack a generator in the winter and generate about every two days. A tank of propane will last two to two and a half days if you do not want the inside of the the camper to be in the high seventies or higher. We use a propane lantern in the evenings instead of 12v lights for two reasons. First we save on batteries, second the propane lantern takes the humidity out of the air. (Yes we are aware of the need for fresh air when using a propane lantern). We also put a 3 inch blue styrofoam sheet under the cab over bed. We have been comfy and warm in this until since 1999.
Waiting for ski season

Son Mat away Racing
Ski Me Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had an AF and it was very comfy in temps down in the single digits F.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote