Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #15

They do well on pavement in the rain (we get plenty of that here), and on gravel roads, etc. though when it comes to true off road conditions, they may be a bit lacking. However compared to my previous tires which would spin and get stuck on wet level grass they are great. I can't comment about snow as I live in Louisiana and we get snow that sticks on the ground about once every 10-20 years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #16

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #17

The Discount Tire Direct rep suggested moving to tire size 265/75R16, and he said they'd fit on my current rims, and wouldn't adversely affect the transmission.

I didn't realize Nitto and Toyo don't offer a warranty on their tires, so I'm going to skip them, unless the rep was wrong.

He said he knows somebody who gave good feedback on Cooper Discoverer ATPs. Are these about the same as the Discoverer AT3s? Are the ATPs passenger tires that I should avoid, or will they work for hauling the camper around?

If I switch tires sizes to 265/75R16, I understand the load capacity will increase to around 3,400 pounds per tire, and I think he said they'll be more stable. Is the downside lower gas mileage?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #18
laj

the only downside is your wheels are a little narrow. i prefer not to pull the sidewalls in, i believe they dont wear as well, more cupping. my at's work extremely well in everything but mud. they resist rock penetration really well. before i spent money going larger tires i would find out what your wheels are rated at.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #19

How do I find out the wheel rating? I think everything's stock, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #20
laj

if they are the stock mag. for 95, i believe they are 3300 each. ford store should be able to tell you for sure.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #21

Thanks, it seems like it'd be worth it to go with the 265s, but I'll look into it.

Also, the Toyos and Dura-Grapplers do have a warranty. The Terra-Grapplers do not.

I'm currently leaning towards Pathfinder ATs, apparently made by Hankook for Discount Tire.

I talked to a couple reps about them and got this info: Have less road noise than the Cooper ATPs, including when they age. Traction tires: phenomenal traction off-road. His coworker likes them better than BFG KO2s in the snow, and will be better than the Coopers in the snow. Good for rain. $157/apiece, 50,000 mile warranty. Coopers corner better than the Pathfinders.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #22

They're the steel wheels, and the seller said they'd be fine for what I'm hauling. Hopefully they're still usable. The seller said they at least need to be painted. I'll take them down to the tire shop and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #23

Don't forget the spare

Changing sizes don't overlook the spare in your tire size change!

Tags
f350, tires