Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #1

I have been using bigfoot campers since 1991 and i'm on my third.
You have to really keep your eye on the camper in and out ,you have to strip the roof calking every year and re-do it with the self leveling stuff.The 2001 camper i had had al the small problems people hear talk of cabinet quality etc etc but how about structural failure where the camper inside is 1 in form the outside wall in other words you drop a carrot off the table and its gone,thats serious trouble,but they did fix that .
My problems now with this new one is water leaks i swore i would never get a slide out and i did and it leaks.The sattelite coax lead in throught the roof was not calked so i had a 3/8 hole and the 2008 took on a lot of water through the stereo and tank level instrumentation and right now bigfoot has reduced its staff and the staff there is rotating so there is no repairs or replacemnet parts (its what i want)These units have reached a point money wise that its if you live near the plant buy if you don't buy something else.
They do look after customers that drive in

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #2

I have been using bigfoot campers since 1991 and i'm on my third.
You have to really keep your eye on the camper in and out ,you have to strip the roof calking every year and re-do it with the self leveling stuff.The 2001 camper i had had al the small problems people hear talk of cabinet quality etc etc but how about structural failure where the camper inside is 1 in form the outside wall in other words you drop a carrot off the table and its gone,thats serious trouble,but they did fix that .
My problems now with this new one is water leaks i swore i would never get a slide out and i did and it leaks.The sattelite coax lead in throught the roof was not calked so i had a 3/8 hole and the 2008 took on a lot of water through the stereo and tank level instrumentation and right now bigfoot has reduced its staff and the staff there is rotating so there is no repairs or replacemnet parts (its what i want)These units have reached a point money wise that its if you live near the plant buy if you don't buy something else.
They do look after customers that drive in

Old 09-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #3

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say but I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and hope it all works out for you.

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Steve_in_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #4

I'm saying from looking at some threads about cabinet flaws scratches etc,water leaks and structural damages are worse and difficult to repair back to a new state.The water leaks can be avoided ,i always felt that you wouldn't have to re-calk a new camper for at least a few years,but now see its a yearly thing wheter you need it or not
Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #5

Well I definitely agree that structural issues are much more of a problem then the cosmetic ones.

Caulking should be checked every year and reapplied as necessary.

From your post is sounds like you had some MAJOR structural issues with your 2001 so if you don't mind my asking, why did you buy another Bigfoot?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #6

First time, shame on you. Second time, shame on me. It looks like you errored twice. (1)Buying a camper with a slide after you knew you shouldn't and (2)buying another Bigfoot with a prior bad experince.

Sounds like you may need to "dump and run".

RVing is supposed to be fun....not worrying about seemingly poor quality workmanship or warranty issues.
219RKS Idle Time 5th Wheel, Outfitter Apex-8 Truck Camper, 2012 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 gas e/w Air Lift Load Lifter 5000. We have visited all 50 states and all of the Canadian Provinces & seen all 5 of the Great Lakes since retiring in 1994.
magic43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #7

I have always felt bigfoot was the leader in camper build,I have looked at a few and structurally they are well built ,mind you the 1991 was a very good camper ,the 2001 with the structual damage bigfoot was eager to repair ,and while i was there traded it in on the 2008,But you're right maybe i should have looked harder else where.
I like the fiberglass build possibly they are getting a little sloppy in workmanship.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #8

Well hopefully your 08 will be problem free and you can spend your time simply enjoying it.