Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:42 PM   #1

I have been studying the Bigfoot line of slide-ins. Then I came across Northern Lite. I see that they are both made in BC. Are they just different product lines from same company? They seem so much the same altho Northern lite dry weights seem less. I am very curious about both. Any comments from owners of either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2002, 02:42 PM   #2

I have been studying the Bigfoot line of slide-ins. Then I came across Northern Lite. I see that they are both made in BC. Are they just different product lines from same company? They seem so much the same altho Northern lite dry weights seem less. I am very curious about both. Any comments from owners of either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-07-2002, 03:47 PM   #3

Tailwater:
They may look the same but that is as far as it goes. They are two different companies. Northern was started up by ex Bigfoot employees a number of years ago and is produced in Kelowna BC. Bigfoot is produced in armstrong BC which is just north of Kelowna a ways. Hope this helps yopu out. Good luck.....Steve....

PS Checkout links below for more info...... Northern Lite Truck Campers

Bigfoot Truck Campers
2002 Chevy Silverado LS, K2500HD, LB, X-Cab, Indigo Metallic, LB7 Duramax 6.6 Ltr Turbo Diesel/M-74 Allison 1000 5-Speed Auto Tranny, BD-Power X-MONITOR (Pyro & Boost) C/W Cool Engine Shutdown Timer,K&N Airfilter, Racor 445R (R90S) Pre-OEM Fuel Filt
J & S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:24 PM   #4

Tallwater:

J&S is right they are two different companies.

We looked at both campers. Both are very similar but we believe the fit and finish on the Bigfoot is a bit better. Also Northernlite while using a lot of real veneers also uses a lot of plastic edging in the interior. I believe they offer 3-way refers vice the more common 2-way in Bigfoot and others.

Northernlite heavily promotes their high RVCG quality ratings.

I have heard others say the Northernlites are heavier than Bigfoot but I can't confirm that. The Northernlite should be a bit cheaper than Bigfoot as they are a "knock-off" design.

Either way you're getting a pretty good camper and the solid fiberglass "clamshell" exteriors on most models are very durable/aerodynamic.

Good luck.
:

F350 Super Duty 4x4 PSD CC LB SRW
Bigfoot 1500 9.5
Jeeps & Dogs
God Bless America & Our Troops Overseas!!!
ourjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 09:22 AM   #5

i may be wrong, but i think northern lite is only available with 1 inch styrofoam insulation, whereas bigfoot is available with 1 inch styrofoam (1500), 1 1/2 inch styrofoam (2500), and 1 1/2 inch polyurethane foam (3000).
Old 11-08-2002, 07:11 PM   #6

I was at the area where a lot of these campers and traillers are being built.The one thing that caught my eye is that they all use very SIMILAR parts ie showers bath appliances etc,even some of the fiberglass parts (front ends),so i really wonder just what quality differences there are .They are in it for the money not to make a superior product.
But its true a lot of bigfoot employees left over the years and made there own..I saw a few other designs that i would have liked to spend the time just to really compare.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #7

The Ten2000 CD Northern lite has a dry weight of 2360lbs, Northern Lite does not use any particle or chipboard products. I wouldnt call it a knock off of Bigfoot after all how different can you be in the look of a slide in.They are in fact the only Truck Camper to receive the Five Star rating from the RV comsumers Group for 6 years running. Northern Lite carrys a three year structural integrity warranty.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #8

I wish I took a closer look at the "queen size" bed in my Bigfoot 2500 10.6, it only measures 74" inches long not 80" like the Northern Lite. On the plus side the Bigfoot has a dry bath and the Northern doesn't. Good luck to you. You couldn't go wrong with either.
Mick
Old 04-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #9

I've been in both plants and my Company just completed a contract for some work at the Bigfoot plant. Comments for what they're worth;

- I think both campers are well built and I really like the moulded two pce fiberglass clamshell construction.

- The Bigfoot facility is much, much larger than the Northern Lite facility (10x?). I don't have an opinion on whether this is particularly good or bad.

- Between me and my camping buddies, we have four Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) and have been extremely impressed with thier durability especially after our ill fated Baja trip from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay.

- The Bigfoot bed on the 2500 series is shorter than a regular queen as mentioned. It wasn't a big deal to me @ 5'11", but if you're taller than that it might be.

- The Northern Lite's that I looked at had the north/south bed intruding into the floor space rather than being farther out over the truck cab like the Bigfoot does. I suspect that this was done to enable them to use less fiberglass moulds (same for north/south and east/west configurations), but I didn't like losing the floor space.

- As always, keep the weights in mind. My 25C9.6 has a dry weight of 2350 lbs, but it weighs in at 3217 fully loaded with 50galls of water which I think is reasonably light for a basement model camper in this size with two 20lb propane bottles and 50galls or water. The 3000 series Bigfoot is heavy (over 4000 lbs ready to go).

Cheers,
Dave