Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #1

It seems that I have bit my tongue for quite some time but feel now I need to let you folks know about our NIGHTMARE with BIGFOOT and their LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE.

BIGFOOT had MANY units that had "delaminating" on all the woodwork. There are approximately 12 units at EAGLE MOUNTAIN and 10 in Nevada that I'm aware of. Our unit was one of them.

My story is quite long so I will do my best to hit the highlights. We purchased our TC from EAGLE MOUNTAIN RV IN MESA ARIZONA back in June. The salesman (who has been fired) lied to us from day one about EAGLE MOUNTAIN having a service department. They don't!!! They sub-contract out to another rv shop who's shoddy work will be seen in pictures.

Upon the purchase of our TC, we were told by EAGLE MOUNTAIN that the woodwork would be fixed. When the day came to pick the TC up and do the walk-thru, only one thing had been done on our original fix-it list. EAGLE MOUNTAIN used gorilla glue to fix the molding in the bathroom, which ran down the wall paper and ruined it. You'll see in pictures that BIGFOOTS fix was a strip of wall paper covering it.

One day (beginning of July), after dropping by EAGLE MOUNTAIN a BIGFOOT representative happened to be there (fixing the eagle mountain units) and looked over our TC. He said it needed to be fixed and he would do it. Before he could get to our unit, BIGFOOT called him back to Canada. However at this time, this BIGFOOT Rep had a list of things that needed replaced/ordered. HE NEVER ORDERED THE PARTS!!!

After his return to Canada, I sent him an e-mail reminding him of our conversation and the phone conversation plus made reference to this e-mail for his written file. This e-mail was sent AUGUST 28th 2007. HE STILL DIDN'T ORDER THE PARTS!!!

Now in the meantime, BIGFOOT decided to have EAGLE MOUNTAIN'S sub-contracted guy try to fix our delaminating cabinets. Yep, we were the guinea pigs. As you'll see in the pictures our TC came back worse. Oh, the parts that were suppose to be ordered??? THEY'RE STILL NOT ORDERED!!!

Finally BIGFOOT decided to send two factory workers down to fix the remaining units at EAGLE MOUNTAIN. By this time we have talked to 3 different people at BIGFOOT to get our TC worked on and parts ordered. Along with dealing with EAGLE MOUNTAIN WHO HASN'T ORDERED THE PARTS EITHER.

We dropped our TC off at EAGLE MOUNTAIN Saturday September 15th and as of today THE PARTS STILL AREN'T SHIPPED. By the way, the factory workers have to be back in Canada over the border by October 1st 2007.

WHY HAVE MY PARTS NOT BEEN SHIPPED YET???

WHY HAS THE BALL BEEN DROPPED OVER AND OVER???

There is more to the story but I don't have the time, room, or patience to type it all out. There have been so many phone calls back and forth I've lost count.

The pictures that follow are of the poor quality from the shop that was sub-contracted out by EAGLE MOUNTAIN IN MESA ARIZONA.

This belly pan came warped from the factory and was to be ordered back at the beginning of July. As of today, speaking with the General Manager, it is being shipped to my house because it still hasn't left the factory. Even though my TC has been in the shop since last Saturday. Plus when we called the BIGFOOT REP who we've been working with since the beginning, he claimed today on the phone it was shipped yesterday via UPS. When we requested the tracking number again, we caught him in another LIE.

At this point in time, I have nothing but anger, frustration, and disappoinment for BIGFOOT and EAGLE MOUNTAIN RV. They both have dropped the ball so many times it's unspeakable. I will NEVER give them business again.
spkncarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #2

It seems that I have bit my tongue for quite some time but feel now I need to let you folks know about our NIGHTMARE with BIGFOOT and their LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE.

BIGFOOT had MANY units that had "delaminating" on all the woodwork. There are approximately 12 units at EAGLE MOUNTAIN and 10 in Nevada that I'm aware of. Our unit was one of them.

My story is quite long so I will do my best to hit the highlights. We purchased our TC from EAGLE MOUNTAIN RV IN MESA ARIZONA back in June. The salesman (who has been fired) lied to us from day one about EAGLE MOUNTAIN having a service department. They don't!!! They sub-contract out to another rv shop who's shoddy work will be seen in pictures.

Upon the purchase of our TC, we were told by EAGLE MOUNTAIN that the woodwork would be fixed. When the day came to pick the TC up and do the walk-thru, only one thing had been done on our original fix-it list. EAGLE MOUNTAIN used gorilla glue to fix the molding in the bathroom, which ran down the wall paper and ruined it. You'll see in pictures that BIGFOOTS fix was a strip of wall paper covering it.

One day (beginning of July), after dropping by EAGLE MOUNTAIN a BIGFOOT representative happened to be there (fixing the eagle mountain units) and looked over our TC. He said it needed to be fixed and he would do it. Before he could get to our unit, BIGFOOT called him back to Canada. However at this time, this BIGFOOT Rep had a list of things that needed replaced/ordered. HE NEVER ORDERED THE PARTS!!!

After his return to Canada, I sent him an e-mail reminding him of our conversation and the phone conversation plus made reference to this e-mail for his written file. This e-mail was sent AUGUST 28th 2007. HE STILL DIDN'T ORDER THE PARTS!!!

Now in the meantime, BIGFOOT decided to have EAGLE MOUNTAIN'S sub-contracted guy try to fix our delaminating cabinets. Yep, we were the guinea pigs. As you'll see in the pictures our TC came back worse. Oh, the parts that were suppose to be ordered??? THEY'RE STILL NOT ORDERED!!!

Finally BIGFOOT decided to send two factory workers down to fix the remaining units at EAGLE MOUNTAIN. By this time we have talked to 3 different people at BIGFOOT to get our TC worked on and parts ordered. Along with dealing with EAGLE MOUNTAIN WHO HASN'T ORDERED THE PARTS EITHER.

We dropped our TC off at EAGLE MOUNTAIN Saturday September 15th and as of today THE PARTS STILL AREN'T SHIPPED. By the way, the factory workers have to be back in Canada over the border by October 1st 2007.

WHY HAVE MY PARTS NOT BEEN SHIPPED YET???

WHY HAS THE BALL BEEN DROPPED OVER AND OVER???

There is more to the story but I don't have the time, room, or patience to type it all out. There have been so many phone calls back and forth I've lost count.

The pictures that follow are of the poor quality from the shop that was sub-contracted out by EAGLE MOUNTAIN IN MESA ARIZONA.

This belly pan came warped from the factory and was to be ordered back at the beginning of July. As of today, speaking with the General Manager, it is being shipped to my house because it still hasn't left the factory. Even though my TC has been in the shop since last Saturday. Plus when we called the BIGFOOT REP who we've been working with since the beginning, he claimed today on the phone it was shipped yesterday via UPS. When we requested the tracking number again, we caught him in another LIE.

At this point in time, I have nothing but anger, frustration, and disappoinment for BIGFOOT and EAGLE MOUNTAIN RV. They both have dropped the ball so many times it's unspeakable. I will NEVER give them business again.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Since BIGFOOT is one of the most exspensive TC's in the field, with a good if not better reputaion, this is shoddy work.

This is not what a reputable Canadian company wants to hear and see. Much less the rest of us.

I personaly would take my unit to the manufacture's home base. It would be a good, worth it trip.

I would let them know that satisfaction is my sole reason for being there. No discussion, just proper service.

You have a substantial investment with their company. They owe their reputation, to fix properly a NEW tc.

Take more pictures of everything that is not up to par. Let them know you will post them if not satisfied.
Do this with respect to thier company and employees.

Let them know you mean business.
I had an issue with Lance and Atwood lifts. The coach was replaced and all was good.

My comments are harsh, yes. Everyone who purchases a PREMIUM truck camper should be able to exspect the finest of quality.

The price that is being paid for these units is on scale with the finest of coaches, utilizing the finest of materials and labor.
When you pay $25,000.00 to over #50,000.00 for an un-powerd, no chassis, 8'.5" or larger slide-in unit with an overhang, what should be exspected?
That is alot of money, no matter what year it is in.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #4

Well as of Friday September 28th, Bigfoot has NOT attempted to contact us; even though the Warranty Manager has informed other people, who are attempting to help us resolve this issue, that he would.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #5

spkncarl

It is really unfourtunate that this issue has taken a life of its own on many forums. I would hope that your dealer and Bigfoot are listening.

I'am fairly certain that many myself included will not purchase any products or services from the dealer and will look the other way when we purchase a new camper. Bigfoot is not the only manufacture of campers, and if they think they are-- time to pull their heads out of the sand.

Best of Luck
Trails2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #6

I have been involved with bigfoot campers for 16 years and I deal with the factory,a lot of dealers love to sell,also sell extended waranties ,then jirk you around and love to see you drive away.
Also your issues are not as serious as structural damage,but its a shame they use a laminate for the frames as you cannot stain these to match and hide defects .
The belley pan is strange as my first 2 campers were done well ,now i see it belleys out and does not look good
stankern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #7

We had the same problems with two sunlite slide ins and switched to S&S and were 100% satisfied. Just for future reference. Scotty.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:33 AM   #8

Spkncarl....
Thanks for taking your time and efforts to let us know of these problems with Bigfoot..I was in the process of negotiating purchase of Bigfoot with slide-out. I have notified dealer to hold everything until this problem is resolved(even then I will be very concerned) and at this point things do not look good . I cannot believe Bigfoot can afford to ignore these problems..You may have saved many potential Bigfoot buyers thousands of dollars and a lot of grief.

Thanks again,

Arlo
Arlo Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #9

Bigfoot has completely washed their hands of it. They never called, even after others contacted them on our behalf. The MANY units that had delaminating issues (in two different states that I know about, possibly more) were fixed and nobody is the wiser. They are ignoring this and hoping in time it will all be a faded memory. For all the future purchases/purchasers....Good Luck and Beware!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #10

Spkncarl,
Got your note on Bigfoot.Have definitely decided not to purchase Bigfoot camper because of the lousy deal you got(service,repair.)I am just sorry you weren't aware about service before your purchased. Can you imagine how much business they have/ will lose.I know I would be very angry if I had paid what they are asking for this unit and see the shoddy work and Bigfoot ignored it.
Seems like the Dealers would be raising a big fuss!!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #11

Arlo Smith, on Bigfoot in case you are reconsidering: overall we are very pleased with our unit; here is a summary

Because we also own a Bigfoot truck camper I know that these units are quite pricy, and thus demanding high quality workmanship as well as a quality service from your dealer is essential. I am also hopeful that Bigfoot will respond to SpknCarl, as PR and customer satisfaction would seem to be most important and essential to any company or dealer doing business.

We ordered (we are from FL) our 2000 Bigfoot model 3000 in the Jan 1999 through an Oregon Dealer (Gibs RV)"”we ordered it rather than purchasing a unit on a lot because we wanted specific options. Six months later the TC was delivered to the Oregon dealer...and through planning we arrived with our truck a couple days after the camper arrived from Canada. The dealer is full service with a very large RV service dept. The unit was prepped and looked great. I am very fussy on workmanship and so I checked everything, inside and out, and in all corners etc before we handed over the check. My wife also went through the entire unit to make sure craftsmanship was acceptable to her. As a matter of fact I recall that my wife and I discussed that the camper was even much better than we expected. The sales person handling our business spent over two hours going over all systems with us while the truck electrical wring was made compatible with the camper.

We are now finishing are 8th year of owning/using the unit. Here is a summary of some issues.

1. After about two years many of the screws etc had begun to show signs of rust; some were not zinc plated. Thus I began a systematic effort to replace every screw or bolt with stainless steel screws. Likewise the angle brackets hold the valence were bare metal (non plated) and were also beginning to tarnish or rust...so I removed all of them, painting with zinc chromate, and then with epoxy white paint. Had we been living in another part of the USA these problems may not have occurred...Florida's heat and humidity is very rough on RVs, especially if you live near the coast as we do. Similar corrosion problems became acute in the propane box because the screw heads showed signs of white powder owing to galvanic reactions because the screws were attached on or near the copper gas lines. I think I may have called or emailed Bigfoot about these problems of non-plated screws/galvanic reactions, mainly as a suggestion that they use stainless steel screws not only to eliminate future problems but also to demonstrate quality.

2. Again in the same time period (after about two years) I noticed some rust pinholes appearing on the front swivel brackets that hold the jacks. The rust got progressively worse.... so I removed the swivel brackets holding the jacks and then used rust remover, sanded, applied zinc chromate, and painted with epoxy paint. This seems to work pretty well. Apparently the powder coat was too thin. Recently on inspection I note some rust on the front brackets that are fixed on bottom of the camper itself, and I plan to remove and treat with zinc chromate/epoxy pain.

3. Then about 5 years I, and especially my wife, finally got totally fed-up with the Bigfoot back steps which were an accident waiting to happen...I found a steps manufacturer in Eugene, Oregon who agreed to construct a wide and very deep set of folding steps for our unit if we would send him plans and dimensions.... The new steps turned out to be terrific, very wide, deeper, and much stronger with a double bar system; I never could understand why Bigfoot did not solve that problem...perhaps it has by now.

4. The bathroom door hinges you mentioned.... Early I could see very clearly that the 3 hinges were not sufficient to hold the door; also we put a medicine rack on the door and thus the door could be susceptible to sag...the existing screws were small and the thickness of is wood was not sufficient to hold a larger screw. To solve any future sag problem I added three more hinges (we now have a total of six)...I found matching hinges at HomeDepot. Also, on the hinges throughout the entire I could see that the "gold plate"¯ would not last long (again we live in Florida"”humidity)--and thus we removed all hinges in the camper and then treated with zinc chromate and white epoxy pain.

5. What else, many small things, some cosmetic, others functional, we did to make the unit more useful for our specific needs; these included adding more 110 electrical outlets, adding better/stronger towel racks, installing a folding cloths drying rack, a VCR/DVD shelf, and installing a privacy current just before the bathroom door, and building radio/cd player box that would mount just below the kitchen cabinets. We also redid the gas line and power box in the gen compartment so the gen can be more easily removed...I had to remove the generator for about 4 years ago (switch stove hood failed but I thought the problem was with the gen) It was a terrible job to get the unit out because the compartment is basically undersized for the Onan generator. However, we replaced the copper gas line with a longer flexible gas line and swapped out the large electrical box in the compartment for a smaller electrical box and added 3 foot extensions to black and red power cables; all these changes made it easier remove the gen should I need to service it again in the future. When we found that the gen problem was actually a defective start switch on the stove hood, we bought a regular Onan heavy duty start switch and mounted it just below the kitchen counter and near the door so we could start the generator from outside without opening the gen box door.

Some of modifications are seen at:

http://duedall.fit.edu/yellow/bigfoot.htm

Now to our overall assessment having owned the unit for 8 years and have made 4-5 trips west with the unit, about 40 thousand miles on the unit:

We remain very happy with our Bigfoot. The unit still looks very good and all systems work well and I don't hold Bigfoot responsible for most of the changes or issues I have mentioned above; most were done because we spotted ways to improve the unit for us. Even now we have a new Holiday Rambler Class A and have made changes/improvements to that unit.

While our Bigfoot camper has been used mainly in moderate temperature/climates we found that it is great unit or cold weather camping...we have spent a few days in 10F weather, snow etc...we were like toast in the unit. Likewise, in oppressive heat and high humidity, we are comfortable in the unit owing to the good insulation properties.

I suppose if we were to buy another camper we would go for the Bigfoot 2500 because the 3000 is almost too large for our F350. I do credit part of our satisfaction with our camper with the Oregon dealer who made sure it was fully prepped, in showroom condition. While we are obviously too to ask for any service during the warranty period, the Oregon dealer has kept in contact with us on more or less on an annual basis. We did have a problem with the solar controller; we called the dealer, he put us in contact with the controller manufacturer who promptly send us a new controller and ask us to send him the cost for installation...I installed myself however.

We should say that if were to purchase another Bigfoot product we would go directly to the factory to get it, hopefully to eliminate the problems you have had and some we have experienced.

When we began our search for a truck camper in 1997-98 we had never heard of Bigfoot...however we did visit other major brands and also on a trip to California we visited a California manufacturer and took the factory tour on the assembly line. What we saw on the assembly convinced us to cross off that manufacturer for our list of campers. Later and before we got serious about Bigfoot we visited some RV shows in FL...the TCs (Bigfoots were not shown) we toured generally showed medium to poor workmanship. Later that year a friend in OR told us to consider Bigfoot and based on his recommendation along with other emails to other owners we found on the web we ordered our unit.

On the Mesa AZ dealer spoke about by spnkcarl; two years ago we were considering to upgrade to a Bigfoot Class C.... we made arrangements to visit the Eagle Mountain dealer. We visited the dealer...as I recollect it was mainly an RV lot, possibly a service building was somewhere in the back, I can't remember, The units we walked through showed excellent workmanship. Later in Oregon Bigfoot dealer near Portland we could compare the Bigfoot with other name brand class Cs....the improved Bigfoot quality was evident...however the Bigfoot price was much larger!

HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #12

Hemi..
Thank you for detailed info. on your Bigfoot.It was informative and interesting..This will be very helpful for many prospective Truck Camper purchasers such as myself..I have an older unit I bought (very resonable) to test TC camping(I like it). I have done some work on it(nothing major)to make it road worthy but basically it is suprisingly "tight" for being 20 years old. I thought unit such as Bigfoot should be at least as good const. and quality as this Hideaway unit..This will go to my son and daughter in-law when and if I buy another.. I am glad you were nice enough to write. It looks like I have a lot of "looking" before I buy.
Thanks again for your comments on your bigfoot.
The "posts" on this forum have greatly benefited me and many,many others.

Arlo
Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It looks like I have a lot of "looking" before I buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you need to follow your plan....we "looked" for several months...that fact that you already bought an older unit is even a greater plus...as you are already experienced. Good luck, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #14

Arlo, it appears that the older campers where better built campers.
My new in 1971 FRANKLIN was far superior to today's standards. It surpased my 99 and 01 Lance for quality.
When looking to purchase a new truck camper, take a look inside of every nook and cranny.
Take out the drawers, check the inspection ports for loose ends. You will be surprised at what you find. That solid secure mount sometimes is nothing more than a I-bolt fastened with a nut and washer to nothing structuraly sound. It pays to investigate.
The number crunchers have taken their toll on all of the honored manufacturing methods.
Just a little food for thought.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote