Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #1

Well, the tree's have demonstrated their ability damage the ole camper. I've already replaced the roof fridge vent cover.

Unfortunately, I've also broken a couple of those little aluminum brackets that holds that railing on the roof of the camper. You know, that railing that's at just the right level to trip you if you get too close to the edge.

Does anyone know where I can get some replacements for those?

Thanks,

Brent
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #2

Well, the tree's have demonstrated their ability damage the ole camper. I've already replaced the roof fridge vent cover.

Unfortunately, I've also broken a couple of those little aluminum brackets that holds that railing on the roof of the camper. You know, that railing that's at just the right level to trip you if you get too close to the edge.

Does anyone know where I can get some replacements for those?

Thanks,

Brent
Old 02-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
CD

I would try contacting the manufacturer. They are usually very helpfull.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #4

I've thought about that (seems like the sensible thing to do! ), but it just seemed to be a pretty common item that I thought there might be an on-line source out there.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #5

My wife drove too close to a tree last fall and I have the same issue, now! Luckily I live 1/2 hr away from the Bigfoot plant and I figure I'll just get one there if I can't get one from the Dealer (Mike Rosman RV).

Dave
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 AM   #6

good morning everybody, sorry that this is a little of topic.
was wondering if you think this rear roof rack is strong enough to hold an 18 foot canoe. I have a forward roof rack installed by factory.
I travel mostly off-road so everything must be very securely attached.
thanks for your comments.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #7

You know, I'm not sure about it.

About all I think these railings are good for is to make sure that if you are doing something on the roof of the camper, and start sliding toward the edge, is to make sure you trip and fall head first so you dont have to worry about breaking your legs or arms when you hit the ground.

But seriously, the brackets are pretty light weight, and are held on by just 2 lightweight screws per bracket.

I'm no expert on hauling things up there, but my guess is they would be good enough to hold the canoe away from the camper. I'd probably make sure that the hold down straps were attached to something a little more secure.

If you're going off road, the top of the camper is pretty high up there, so keep an eye out for those roof rack (and canoe) eating trees!
Old 03-12-2005, 05:35 AM   #8

If I had read this a couple of months ago, I could have sent you several of those brackets - I took off the old roof rack after mangling it with a tree. Unfortunately I disposed of them since the new roof rack came with new brackets.

The brackets should be available somewhere at reasonable price, the entire rack assembly and ladder was less than $100.

I would not count on the stock roof rack to do much more than keep your tool bucket from sliding off if you are working up there, as the previous poster mentioned the brackets are held on by fairly small screws and it is not all that sturdy to start with.

A caution for those who decide to remove or replace their roof racks on the Bigfoot 2500 series - since the top of the camper is curved, some of the roof racks are under tension in order to conform to it (i.e, bent into a curve). When I was taking mine loose, I had removed the brackets on one side and was working on the rear brackets, as soon as I removed one there was a SPROINGG as the rack tubing sprang back to the straight form. I was standing on a scaffold so all it did was knock my screwdriver off and make me say a few bad words (grin), if I had been perched on the roof with my face directly over the tubing it might have ended badly.

Another note - make sure you seal under those brackets to prevent water intrusion. My stock brackets were poorly sealed and a few of the screws had corroded badly.
Mike Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #9

Since most of the replies are from Bigfoot owners, let me comment that the screws in my bigfoot (3000 model) are an assortment of stainless steel, plated, or just plain iron (non-plated).

Consequently the non-plated screws began rusting soon after we bought the camper, the plated screws...about half rusted...the stainless steel no problems. I mentioned this to Bigfoot. It would seem that this company which prides itself in producing a quality product would have made the effort use stainless steel screws throughout...a small annoyance--I did replace all the screws. We are still very pleased with the unit which is coming up on its 5th "birthday". IVER
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #10

As soon as I took delivery of the bigfoot 3000 and saw the roof racks i knew these were going to be a problem.I'm talking about the open ends that the manufacturer should have bent down to the roof so a branch would just sweep over them.So I cut cedar arcs and drilled out the 1 in roof rack piping and slid them on tight between the rack and the roof ,now everything just runs over them.I also painted them white.Ripping the track off can do serious damage to the roof.
stankern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

I'm also trying to source 2 roof rail brackets for my gulfstream sunsport in uk....can anyone help? Been looking online all day & still hav'nt found any.....
richlorraine is offline   Reply With Quote