Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #1

Hello all,
We would like to take our 2 mountain bikes with us this summer, but don't know how/where to attach them.
I would like to have them on the back so that we can open the camper door without removing the bikes all the time. I have a custom winch bumper on the front that would make it hard to attach bikes to...
Is there something that attaches to the ladder? Would the ladder be strong enough?
Thanks for any input!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #2

Hello all,
We would like to take our 2 mountain bikes with us this summer, but don't know how/where to attach them.
I would like to have them on the back so that we can open the camper door without removing the bikes all the time. I have a custom winch bumper on the front that would make it hard to attach bikes to...
Is there something that attaches to the ladder? Would the ladder be strong enough?
Thanks for any input!

Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #3

Do you always tow that thing behind the camper (picture to small to tell what the thing is)?
Does it have a hitch? Good place to start. The ladder works. Some one mounted a home made one on the other side of the door started at the bumper and went up, just stablized it at the top attaching it to the side of the camper. He put picture on one of the rvnets but I don't remember which one is saw it on.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #4

Hello Don and Sarah,

We don't always tow the Land Cruiser, and have a Class V hitch on the back. The only problem with getting a bike rack-receiver combo is the 4' overhang of the camper. I guess I could extend it since there wouldn't be much weight on it, and I could stabilize it higher up on the camper somewhere...

I like the idea of having it on the side of the door opposite the ladder. There is nothing there except the bathroom window. I'll see what I can do with that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #5

Dave
Do you have an additional brake system in the Land Cruiser and if so, what kind?
I have my bikes in front of truck
Thanks

WRV of Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #6

I've got one of those bike racks that attaches to the ladder, and it actually works quite well. I figure if the ladder can handle me climbing up on top of the camper for cleaning, etc, then a couple of bikes should be no problem.

I do use a little well placed foam, and bungee cords to make sure they don't move and scratch the camper, etc...

That being said, since you do have a tow behind, you may have other options. On the most recent trip we took to the eastern sierra, I saw what I think is the most amazing piece of engineering in quite a while. I just really wish I'd taken a picture of it.

This guy had an old vw bug that he used as a toad for his MH. What was amazing, was that he had custom welded alunimum bumpers front and back that had supports welded to it for a rack/cage system that went above the roof of the bug. He had what looked like a 10/12 foot alunimum boat on top of the rack. On the back of the bug, he had a board going across that served to support the small boat motor, and on either side of the front of the bug, he had little supports going out that held up a bike on either side of the bug. He could actually drive this thing with all of that gear on it! Not sure what it would be like driving it at highway speed. The guy had everything he needed right there in one little tow behind....
Old 06-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #7

Do you use an extension to tow? The hitch type bike rack should fit the extenson either straight in or with the adaptor for the 2.5 type hitch. The extensions are good for several hundred pounds of hitch weight they should handle the bikes. Get a swing out type and you won't have to unload the bikes each time you want in the camper. Put a hitch on the back of the Toy, put the carrier in there when you tow. You can use one carrier for both set ups. Hidden hitch up front and the same carrier could be up there as well as any other vechile that has a hitch you may have.

The one the guy made was built off the bumper and was fairly stout to carry the weight on the bumper and was attached at the top to act as stablization, so very little of the weight was carried by the wall. It looked like a couple of pieces of square tubing maybe an inch with brackets on the bumper and a cross bar at the top bolted to the wall. The bikes hung sideways to keep down the leverage on the carrier.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #8

Why not have a custom made one off your winch bumper. That bumper must be strong. I made a receiver below my front stock bumper and I can lock the bikes on and I do not have to deal with them every time I get in or out of the camper. Also you can keep your eye on them up front. Also think of them as a extra crush panel if you are involved in an mva. I like having them up front and they road great 13000 mile to Alaska and back.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:34 AM   #9

Our bikes and kayak go on top using Yakima rails. Works slick!
'04 Ford F350 Lariat PSD, Ext Cab, AFE Stage 2, Gauges, Edge with Monitor, Brushguard, chip & 4" SS Exhaust, Piaas x 4 '04 Hallmark Chuchara Camper I'm decking out slowly with 22" LCD TV, generator, 4 Marine Batteries...
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:48 AM   #10

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone.

We don't always have the Land Cruiser with us, so we would prefer to have them mounted to the rear of the camper.

I'm thinking of phoning Northwood to see where the bulkheads are in the back behind the bathroom. This won't block the view out the window, the ladder or entry and exit.

Summer is almost gone now anyway. We did get through the season with the bikes on the winch bumper, but would prefer to have them on the back.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #11

If you are looking for a permanent solution you should talk to the people at http://www.loadmyboat.com

They are fairly close to you (Kelowna) and may be able to modify something for you.

If not the Yakima system works great, but we use a tandem so it may be an easier load for us.
'04 Ford F350 Lariat PSD, Ext Cab, AFE Stage 2, Gauges, Edge with Monitor, Brushguard, chip & 4" SS Exhaust, Piaas x 4 '04 Hallmark Chuchara Camper I'm decking out slowly with 22" LCD TV, generator, 4 Marine Batteries...
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #12

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hitches4less_1858_19512057

Check out this type of hitch.

I'm trying to figure out what method to cary our two bike at this time too!

I just made my own front 2" receiver hitch.....but I'm thinking a "store bought" rack might be the easiest solution for the rack.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #13

B73C,

I carry bikes behind the front seats in our crew cab. Flip the rear seats up and it will carry one bike. We also have a tandem that I don't like getting pelted with bugs or road grime so I made a mount inside the camper. It is out of site, out of mind, out of the weather. It can be in the way of using the bathroom etc. on the road. When I carry a bike on a car it is on the roof and with a cloth bra to keep the bugs and grime off. You asked! Just my thoughts.