Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Cab Over Campers

Hello, Iam a new member and I would like some advise on what size and type of unit would work for my 2013 F-250 diesel power stroke P/U. The truck has a 6.5 bed.

Thanks, Edgar

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Edgar, Even though I am not high on some Lance Camper quality, I think they have a very good site to help you chose the correct Camper for your size of truck. Try this site & see if it helps in answering your question.
Lance Camper | Truck Campers and Travel Trailers

38ft Snowvilla. Triple Glides. 2010 Ram 3500 CC Dually. to tow anywhere, anytime.
!!!!!! "RETIRED" !!!!!!.
Arctic Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
You can go to the websites for Arctic Fox and Wolf Creek and Northern Lite and Lance and download their brochures that provide information as to which will fit for a short bed and the weight. I would not worry about the weight as it is the large 10'-11' campers for long bed trucks that are going to be over 4,000 lbs. dry weight.

Good idea to take your truck to a CAT scale and get the exact weights at each axle. Knowing the weight of the empty truck on the rear axle and its rims and tires provides a baseline. 95% of the camper's weight is going to be on the rear axle. Based on the total weight of the rear of the truck and the camper you can determine whether the truck's tires can handle the load or will need to be upgraded.

If for example the weight of the empty truck on the rear wheels is 3000 lbs. and the camper has a dry weight per the manufacturer of 2500 lbs. you will have a theoretical dry weight payload of 5500. In reality the camper is likely to weigh closer to 500 lbs. more and you will want to add another 1000 lbs. for gear, water, people, etc. in the camper which add to the total load on the rear tires. With this theoretical camper the total potential load on the rear tires could be as high as 7000#. That works out to 3500 lb. load capacity tires at a bare minimum.

Ford (like GM) have rear axles and wheel bearings that will support more than 9,000 lbs. so the possible weak points are the springs, rims, and tires. Easy enough to add SuperSprings or new rims or new tires to address any weak points. When I bought my Chevy 3/4 ton truck it came with tires rated at 3195@80 PSI and I sold them on Craigslist having replaced them with tires rated at 3750@80 PSI for a load capacity gain of 1110 lbs. at the rear axle. That provided the safe margin I wanted with my camper.

At each stage I paid the $10 to have the truck weighed. It was weighed when new, after adding the Supersprings and new tires, with the dry camper in the bed, and with the camper fully loaded for a trip.

All brands of campers have their pros and cons. Lance campers have fewer flaws than most and are better insulated than most for cold weather use. What varies with the different models are the capacity of the holding tanks, provision for 2 batteries, provision for 2 LPG tanks, availability of a slider, 4-season setup, use of interior space, setup for towing a trailer with the camper in place.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Hello Everyone.

I would also like to recomend go over to truckcampingmagazine.com and click on their "Newbie" section and you will get all your questions answer.
Gorden & Angela publish 2 articles a week and this "E" magazine is free. You just need to sign up.

Mike Tassinari AKA. Mikeee
Mike Tassinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
A truck with a short box presents limitations on the size of a camper you can use. Not only weight, but the balance of the camper is very critical with a short box. If you've ever hauled tail heavy, you'll know what I mean. Some short bed units are as long as 8'5 feet, and will have many ammenities, but beware of how you load them. I would suggest that if you intend to keep this truck, you consider something 8' or less, or even a pop up truck camper, which are typically lighter. You might not get a roomy toilet, or may have to accept a shorter dinette bed, but it will hall better.
docdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
All the campers designed for use with a short bed truck place the center of gravity square over the rear axle. Not to hard to do with the forward weight of the cabover section, the forward fridge and forward furnace and the forward fresh water tank. The only think aft of the rear of the bed is the wet shower area.

The overhang of 2 feet is less than that of the 11 foot campers that are placed in a 8' long bed. Many thousands of these campers and trucks have been on the roads for decades. Surprised that so many people try to give advice who have no real world experience with truck campers.

elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote