Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #1

Camper entry from cab

Are there any campers which allow entry from the pickup, maybe from an extended cab?

Wondered about that for years.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #2

I'm not very well experienced with TC's but I'm subscribing. I think you'd have to highly modify the camper to have a window or window frame like that of a camper shell/fiberglass bed cap, then use the accordion boot seal to bridge the gap. This is how its done with camper shells. It's not a very big opening, but some small and medium size people can squeeze through. The only other way is to cut out the back wall of truck cab and front of camper and use accordion deal once again, you would be creating a walk through entry like a box truck might have. This would be an extensive, structure and strength altering modification to truck and camper and pose many difficulties dealing up with camper removed from truck. At this point maybe consider a standard RV or consider the TC a permanent addition to your truck.

Other than that I'm out of ideas but I'm anxious to see others' responses.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #3

Neither idea would work with my SunLite. The fresh tank, pump etc is under where the back window is preventing a vertical opening being made, an the sink and water heater is at an angle in the corner preventing a sideways opening to match the rear window of truck....

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had a truck / camper combo back in the 70s that would allow a very small person to get into the camper through the slider window.

Most of the newer campers have WAY too small a window and it's usually offset to one side anyway.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

A sliding window on the truck and one in the front of the camper with a boot is all that is available. There are no TCs with big doors in the front since there are no truck cabs with big doors in the back.
The easiest way to make one yourself is to buy a motorhome. If you want it look like a truck and have 4 x 4 then check out Tiger MHs.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Google truck camper pass through windows. Most are just that but some people have pets and kids go through them, some even modify them to allow an adult to crawl through!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

There used to be one

I used to own a Chevy Blaser that had a 4-Wheel Pop-up Camper attached to it. I took the back end fiberglass top off and installed the pop-up camper. You could enter from the truck doors or from a door in the back of the camper. That's the only one I know about.
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
A sliding window on the truck and one in the front of the camper with a boot is all that is available.
That is the setup I have with my Lance truck camper. I have a formed foam Lance window boot from Lance that is made specifically for my truck/camper combination. The foam window boot effectively seals the opening between the camper sliding window and the truck's sliding rear window. The Lance window boot stays in place and doesn't damage the paint on the truck cab or camper as aftermarket will-fit boots. I can crawl through the opening if I have to. It takes a little positioning, but I can make it. It would be easier if I were younger and more agile.

When traveling in hot or cold weather, I keep both sliding windows open to allow the truck cab's warm heated air/cool air conditioned air to flow back into the camper. I installed a Maxxair vent cover over the bathroom vent and I keep the bathroom vent partially open. The air flow not only keeps the camper comfortable, but aids in drying the bathroom and towels while traveling.

Bill
Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post

That is the setup I have with my Lance truck camper. I have a formed foam Lance window boot from Lance that is made specifically for my truck/camper combination. The foam window boot effectively seals the opening between the camper sliding window and the truck's sliding rear window. The Lance window boot stays in place and doesn't damage the paint on the truck cab or camper as aftermarket will-fit boots. I can crawl through the opening if I have to. It takes a little positioning, but I can make it. It would be easier if I were younger and more agile.

When traveling in hot or cold weather, I keep both sliding windows open to allow the truck cab's warm heated air/cool air conditioned air to flow back into the camper. I installed a Maxxair vent cover over the bathroom vent and I keep the bathroom vent partially open. The air flow not only keeps the camper comfortable, but aids in drying the bathroom and towels while traveling.

Bill
Could you post a picture?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Could you post a picture?
Yep, front and back side photos attached.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lance  Window  Boot 001.jpg
Views:	2772
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	37907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lance  Window  Boot 003.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	37908  

Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Was camping this weekend and a friends new Toyota platinum pick up had a rear window that totally retracts into the body of the truck. You could leave it down and go from the cab to the bed easily. Made me wonder, if you removed the rear window of a pickup and sealed the camper to the truck you would have a new kind of RV, essentially a class B but with more room!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #12

It used to be legal to ride in a camper on the road; here in B.C. anyway; seat belt and other rules now prohibit any one in there.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Was camping this weekend and a friends new Toyota platinum pick up had a rear window that totally retracts into the body of the truck. You could leave it down and go from the cab to the bed easily. Made me wonder, if you removed the rear window of a pickup and sealed the camper to the truck you would have a new kind of RV, essentially a class B but with more room!

If you sealed the camper to the truck, you'd have a Tiger which have been around for years :

They actually are considered motorhomes as you can pass through from cab to coach and consequently qualify for FMCA membership.

Tiger Adventure Vehicles - Provan Industries, LLC.

-harry
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Are there any campers which allow entry from the pickup, maybe from an extended cab?

Wondered about that for years.

Thanks.
Not removable kinds. Older Chassis Mounts from the 70s were able if they had the cutout in the cab, these days you're stuck with motorhomes like the Tiger and the Scotty .

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote