Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Camper Roof Deteriorating

I was putting some Eternabond repair tape on a few cracks near the edge of the roof of my 2005 Arctic Fox camper today. My camper's roof is a rubber like material. I noticed that the roof seems to be degrading, probably due to age and the hot weather where we live. The roof material feels rough and grainy. Any ideas out there on what I can use to put on the roof to help restore or at least slow down this deterioration?

Thanks,

Alano
2008 F-350 Crew Cab, V-10
2005 Artic Fox 990

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #2

Alano...I think you are describing a chalk like feel to the roof material and that is common to EPDM. The roof was created to deteriorate exactly like that. It will keep on doing that until the chalk like material eventually is down to the rubber that it is bonded to. If there are no signs of serious rubber cracking...you can recoat the roof with an EPDM Rubber coating like Dicor or ProGuard Rubber Roof....
For maintenance on a rubber roof....you wash with a mild soap solution (never any petroleum products) and use perhaps Comet w Bleach to remove staining due to mold and mildew.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #3

Thanks

Craig, You've described the condition of the roof perfectly. I have covered the few small cracks with tape along with the skylight edges for good measure. I will clean and recoat the roof. Thanks for the info, Alano
Alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alano View Post
Craig, You've described the condition of the roof perfectly. I have covered the few small cracks with tape along with the skylight edges for good measure. I will clean and recoat the roof. Thanks for the info, Alano
You don't have to re-coat the roof until the white chalk is gone and black material under the EPDM can be seen. Original roof life expectancy is dependent on the location/climate. Maybe 10 to 12 years for Texas/Az/Florida and 15 to 20 years for the middle US states.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof