Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
K-9

I'm new to this site and apologize if this is a silly question. I have a 1990 Eagle II that I carried on my 1989 Dodge Dakota. I now have a new F250. Because the Eagle II is 7' wide like many larger campers, (and their material says it will fit) we thought it would work. Our problem is the tie down system. We want something that goes in the frame but don't feel confident about the clearance between the side of the truck and a tie-down like Torklift. The camper is a pop-up and only weighs 1,130 lbs., but I don't want to ruin my truck bed either. Any ideas?
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
K-9

I'm new to this site and apologize if this is a silly question. I have a 1990 Eagle II that I carried on my 1989 Dodge Dakota. I now have a new F250. Because the Eagle II is 7' wide like many larger campers, (and their material says it will fit) we thought it would work. Our problem is the tie down system. We want something that goes in the frame but don't feel confident about the clearance between the side of the truck and a tie-down like Torklift. The camper is a pop-up and only weighs 1,130 lbs., but I don't want to ruin my truck bed either. Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, shy of going to Happijacs, you could use belly bars, but they'll always be sticking out, unlike the torklifts.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
K-9

Thanks for the suggestion. I had belly bars on the Dakota, but I thought I read somewhere that late model trucks like my F250 are difficult to fit--the belly bar may interfere with the drive shaft. I'll do some further checking.

--Lori
Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #5

I had a belly bar on my truck for one trip. When I unloaded the camper after I was home I had a bad vibe going down the road. The bar had scored the shaft and through it out of balance. We had no idea that had happend. No sound or feel of it.The dealer warr. covered it but it would have cost almost a thousand for the fix.
I now have the torx lift and love it. No problems with clearance.

2003 Monark w/125h.p. Merc
Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote