Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Unhappy Camper Tiedown on Utility Truck

I have a F250 utility truck with the side storage compartments. I am thinking of buying a pop-up slide in camper to go on it. The measurements will work although I will need to raise the camper an inch with a plywood sheet. The sides match well with the outer edges of the storage compartments and it ends at the back real close to the little tailgate which I will remove.

My problem is how do I tie it down? Frame mounted tie downs with chains and turnbuckles will not allow access to the front and rear compartments. I have seen pics on the net where people have done this but I am not going to just rely on the camper weight here. Seen to many sliding campers in my days fishing on the side of inclines.

Thought about going through the bed which is pretty good on metal thickness, but how? I'm thinking of welding and shoring up the inside of the end compartments with steel braces and mounting from the jack mounts?

Anyone done this before with advise?

edpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Ed

I haven't done anything exactly like this, but it sure sounds like a real interesting project!
Hope you'll post pictures- I'd like to watch the way it evolves...

Is this going to be a permanent mount, or will you need to take off/put on?
If it's permanent, can you bolt it to the bed using longer versions of the same bolts now holding the bed itself on?
Another (additional?) point of attachment that occurs to me is bolts through the utility boxes' inside back walls, presuming that the boxes are securely attached to the bed...

Keep us posted!

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Ive got an Alaskan camper being built. It will go on a flatbed. They bolt through the floor and the bed. Been doing their flatbeds like that for years. I know Four Wheel Campers, a pop top, has been doing the same. They might build you a camper that will fit you body. They do semi custom stuff all the time. Great company in northern CA.

Good luck
scottreb is offline   Reply With Quote