Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

Unhappy Can you say, "Windy"?

The one thing I can say about the desert of Deming, NM is the high winds and the past few weeks have been 60+ M.P.H. wind gusts and they can be disruptive and upset things. I don't know how my friend set it up, but mother nature huffed and puffed and blew it down from the blocks. I had ordered a 60" farm jack so it can be lifted back up onto the blocks, I think the jacks got damaged.
I have been evaluating the interior and need to replace the roof vents and window crank operators as the windows do not close. The fridge was working and hopefully still is after the camper tipped over.
This truck camper is huge and has a tag axle. I've seen pics of a similar unit called a 'Born Free' with a similar set up.
The interior is in good shape and needs minor work. Its upsetting to see it tipped over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_170942.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	197153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_171018.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	197154  

Name:	IMG_20180316_173037.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	197155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180225_141955.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	197159  

Name:	IMG_20180225_141927.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	197160  
trike lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool rig...worth saving if you can
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/im-ne...ml#post4104151

Unless you can get a forklift or similar equipment to the job, I would lift/level it just like the folks that move houses...lift with jacks and dunnage.
With the jack under a hard point on the camper, lift it the height of one dunnage block at a time then stack a board - repeat...Lift/stack/lift/stack...etc.
Aim for level first, then aim to get it to loading height.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:49 AM   #3

Although it looks daunting, with luck the damage will be relatively minor. It's kind of amazing sometimes how RVs can roll over and how little damage they sustain, particularly if the roll is at relatively low speeds which it sounds like this one was.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

Great pictures and a pretty cool video too.
Thanks for posting that stuff!
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

Exclamation That happened to me in Ohio

I was raising my old Honey slide on at the storage lot slowly & painfully, going back every day (no power on my jacks besides elbow grease). After a particularly windy night, the lot owners called me & told me the rig had tipped over. Two of the three jacks were bent so as to be unusable. The camper was 40 years old at the time. I talked them into letting me demolish the thing & haul the pieces away over the next month. I got $75 for the scrap aluminum & a few dollars for the scrap ferrous metal. I removed the windows & installed them on a DIY pickup shell.
artfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #6

It's been a long time since I posted, I gave the camper to my friends Tom and Ruth. He wants to use it when he goes to fly in with his para-glider. So he'll be restoring it so that it can be road worthy.

As for me, I am now living in a senior citizen apartment complex in Lovington, NM.
I view the forum from the side lines, so I'm still watching even though I may not be logged in.
Have a great day and a safe journey.
trike lady is offline   Reply With Quote