Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

Cassette toilets

None have a cassette toilet? How do u like it and where do you go to empty would look kind of odd walking into a restaurant or Dunkin donuts!
Dave1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a cassette toilet. Used it for tent camping for many years. These units are MUCH better than those folding seats with a bag in my opinion.

I pre-filled/loaded the water tank before leaving home (w/ water and chemical) and it would go in the back of the pick-up coming and going to camp. Once at the destination it would either stay in the covered truck bed or go into the tent at the destination - which ever provided more privacy.

Some folks move the unit away from the campsite "into the woods" but that just invited trouble to me with bugs and critters being attracted to it.

We have moved-up to a Class A now, but I am currently building a van conversion on a 4X4 chassis - a homemade Class B RV(?) and plan to use another cassette toilet in it. Will be putting a lot of time into the toilet positioning so it is out of the way, easy to use and easy to prep and clean.

If yours is built-in to a truck camper, there is little to do but make a routine to fill and empty the tanks as best fits your use of the camper.

To empty the tank, it is very easy to carry it (or roll if equipped with dolly wheels) to a toilet. No, we never carried it into a restaurant. It is also easy to use a RV dump station too. They often hold less that 5 gallons (less than 45lb) much like carrying a Jerry Can.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #3

Thank u for the info and this is in a truckcamper and I haven't got camper yet it is on order but I have been Leary on where to dump it so glad to hear u don't think they r terrible
Dave1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

I have three vehicles with cassette toilets and two with large tanks and in some circumstances cassettes are easier to manage than the big tanks. Probably not in the USA where large black and grey tanks are the norm, but even there, in an emergency it is a lot easier to dig and fill a 20 litre hole than a 250 litre hole

If you need to empty it in a public toilet, it would be good form to wait until the stalls either side were unoccupied. Preferably the whole place empty apart from you. I don't use chemicals so do need to be more aware of others in those circumstances, but even if chemicals are used, the smell can be a bit "unusual" and the sound effects rather off-putting as well.

Obviously you need to have some way of leaving the place at least as clean as you found it.

I have heard of people having a shopping bag big enough to hold the cassette and sneaking into fast food restrooms but that seems a bit overboard. Smart way to manage it is to empty it as often as possible and never wait until it is full. Another trick if you have storage space is to have a spare cassette,
Old 10-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #5

Dave,
I've read up on what some of the Pop-up Truck (Hallmark and Outfitters) campers do. Most have the Cassettes like you. They usually take them to the Dump sites at Camp grounds, Truck stops, and Rest stops. Some do take them home or dump like the above post. Just depends on how you feel about going about dumping your cassette. Tony Lee has a good idea about a spare cassette, as long as you have storage.
Best of luck
Scott

PS. I won't say what some do about dumping a Cassette but you probably can figure that out, ha,ha
Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #6

Most motorhomes built over here in the UK are fitted with the cassette type toilets, some of the larger ones have two cassettes fitted. Depending on use they need emptying every two or three days. Your RV black tanks are a much better idea. A lot of the larger european motorhomes now come with a black tank as standard and the cassette as an option
Blodwyn Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I have three vehicles with cassette toilets and two with large tanks and in some circumstances cassettes are easier to manage than the big tanks. Probably not in the USA where large black and grey tanks are the norm, but even there, in an emergency it is a lot easier to dig and fill a 20 litre hole than a 250 litre hole

If you need to empty it in a public toilet, it would be good form to wait until the stalls either side were unoccupied. Preferably the whole place empty apart from you. I don't use chemicals so do need to be more aware of others in those circumstances, but even if chemicals are used, the smell can be a bit "unusual" and the sound effects rather off-putting as well.

Obviously you need to have some way of leaving the place at least as clean as you found it.

I have heard of people having a shopping bag big enough to hold the cassette and sneaking into fast food restrooms but that seems a bit overboard. Smart way to manage it is to empty it as often as possible and never wait until it is full. Another trick if you have storage space is to have a spare cassette,

I have been looking at these units as an extra but they seem to be attached to a wall,is this the way they are meant to be, or are they really portable...?

If they must be attached, which truly portable unit would be a recommendation?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I have been looking at these units as an extra but they seem to be attached to a wall,is this the way they are meant to be, or are they really portable...?

If they must be attached, which truly portable unit would be a recommendation?
Maybe I am the one using the wrong name for these portable units vs. the built-in cassette toilets...because a quick internet search shows only built-in types...

But, there are many more portable units sold than the built-in's.
I always used one while tent camping for the ease of use and sanitary benefits.

They are made by many, many companies and sold in many different stores - Like Camping World (of course). Even Wal*Mart carries Thetford, Coleman, CampaChem, Century and others...Like:
Century Portable Toilet 2.5-Gallon Capacity Holding Tank - Walmart.com

To pick one, I recommend going to look at them in a store. The sitting height and build quality were 2 big factors for me.

Sorry if I caused anyone confusion.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Maybe I am the one using the wrong name for these portable units vs. the built-in cassette toilets...because a quick internet search shows only built-in types...

But, there are many more portable units sold than the built-in's.
I always used one while tent camping for the ease of use and sanitary benefits.

They are made by many, many companies and sold in many different stores - Like Camping World (of course). Even Wal*Mart carries Thetford, Coleman, CampaChem, Century and others...Like:
Century Portable Toilet 2.5-Gallon Capacity Holding Tank - Walmart.com

To pick one, I recommend going to look at them in a store. The sitting height and build quality were 2 big factors for me.

Sorry if I caused anyone confusion.
Best luck
No problem, I was a bit confused, but I like the idea of having a portable that can be in a bedroom for nighttime or emergencies and can hide in the closet if necessary during the day..
I thanks for setting me right.