RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #1

Center of gravity

I am new to tc, I am confused about the COG on campers. I am looking at used campers. This is the sheet for my truck which is a 2019 F350 SB
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper weight.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	249593
So when measuring the campers COG do you measure from the back of the camper? Or from from the front?
I was looking online at an old Lance spec sheet and it looks like my truck would haul most of them. Even thou Iím sure some of these are for 8í beds.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	249597
If measured from the rear dose it make a difference if itís 8í 8 1/2í or 9í shouldnít that move the COG 6Ē to 12Ē?
I plan on looking for something in the 2500 lbs range. Iím thinking that my truck would be able to handle that safely. But I want to match it as best I can.

Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

I commend you for researching the COG. The "OEM factory" COG of each camper (typically empty without batteries, propane, etc.) is certainly something to be considered; however, keep in mind it's a very dynamic stat. It's going to move (forwards or backwards) depending on where the batteries, propane, gear, water, etc. are placed/loaded in the camper for each trip. How much weight is gained or lost on the front axle of your truck ultimately determines whether your camper's COG is within an acceptable range or not.

IMO, the COG of a camper (as a stat) will pale in importance vs. the "realworld" weight of a given camper. It is shocking how some manufacturers low-ball the advertised "empty" weight of their new campers. Even the ones that supposedly weigh their campers individually when they leave the factory have been known to present some very inaccurate numbers. Be careful---read the small print. Ideally have a camper weighed at a CAT scale before purchase. It's not uncommon for a so-called 2,500 lb. "empty" camper to easily weigh 4,000 lbs. (CAT scaled) when ready to camp---even with empty tanks!!

Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stableduck View Post
I am new to tc, I am confused about the COG on campers. I am looking at used campers. This is the sheet for my truck which is a 2019 F350 SB

1.) So when measuring the campers COG do you measure from the back of the camper? Or from from the front?

2.) I was looking online at an old Lance spec sheet and it looks like my truck would haul most of them. Even thou Iím sure some of these are for 8í beds.

3.) If measured from the rear dose it make a difference if itís 8í 8 1/2í or 9í shouldnít that move the COG 6Ē to 12Ē?

4.) I plan on looking for something in the 2500 lbs range. Iím thinking that my truck would be able to handle that safely. But I want to match it as best I can.
By the numbers...

1.) Any campers I have dealt with measure the COG in inches back from the lower front vertical wall of the camper. The advertised COG on my short-bed camper is listed by the manufacturer as: 32" From the lower front wall going rearward.
Looking at the web site for a Lance 825 it has the COG listed as "Center of Gravity 32" Front". That would be measuring from the lower front wall of the camper rearward. Then go measure your truck's bed from the front of the bed to the rear axle to insure that its a number greater than 32 inches, (which on a 2019 Super Duty short-bed most certainly is more than 32 inches).

2.) As Rockies mentioned in his helpful post above the more important issue is the overall weight of the camper when it's fully equipped and "ready-to-camp".
You don't want to overload your truck, (even though most of us do).
Also... I would NOT put a long-bed camper in a short-bed truck.

3.) Not sure I understand #3 in your post.

4.) In my opinion your short-bed F350 would have no problem with a camper that has an unloaded weight of 2500 pounds.
Please look at your truck's max payload as listed on the Tread Act sticker on your truck's front driver's side door column.
See the picture below as an example...

Also as info...
The advertised empty weight of my short-bed camper is 2910 pounds.
The CAT scale weight when it's loaded and 'ready to camp' is 3700 pounds. 3700 pounds is a 'reasonable' max weight for a 3500/F350 class single rear wheel truck.

Listed below is measurement of camper's 32" COG, and then measurement of Truck's 35" forward bulkhead to axle measurement.
Note that camper's COG measurment should be at or less than the truck's axle measurment.

Thanks Rockies for your informative post, and Stableduck please keep us posted on your progress!
Regards,
-Jake-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
By the numbers...

1.) Any campers I have dealt with measure the COG in inches back from the lower front vertical wall of the camper. The advertised COG on my short-bed camper is listed by the manufacturer as: 32" From the lower front wall going rearward.

Looking at the web site for a Lance 825 it has the COG listed as "Center of Gravity 32" Front". That would be measuring from the lower front wall of the camper rearward. Then go measure your truck's bed from the front of the bed to the rear axle to insure that its a number greater than 32 inches, (which on a 2019 Super Duty short-bed most certainly is more than 32 inches).

2.) As Rockies mentioned in his helpful post above the more important issue is the overall weight of the camper when it's fully equipped and "ready-to-camp".

You don't want to overload your truck, (even though most of us do).

Also... I would NOT put a long-bed camper in a short-bed truck.

3.) Not sure I understand #3 in your post.

4.) In my opinion your short-bed F350 would have no problem with a camper that has an unloaded weight of 2500 pounds.

Please look at your truck's max payload as listed on the Tread Act sticker on your truck's front driver's side door column.

See the picture below as an example...

Also as info...

The advertised empty weight of my short-bed camper is 2910 pounds.

The CAT scale weight when it's loaded and 'ready to camp' is 3700 pounds. 3700 pounds is a 'reasonable' max weight for a 3500/F350 class single rear wheel truck.

Listed below is measurement of camper's 32" COG, and then measurement of Truck's 35" forward bulkhead to axle measurement.

Note that camper's COG measurment should be at or less than the truck's axle measurment.

Thanks Rockies for your informative post, and Stableduck please keep us posted on your progress!

Regards,

-Jake-

Thanks Rockies & Jake for the info.
We looked at a 2002 Lance 845 tonight that I think we are going to buy. The sticker on the camper says itís weighs 2319 lbs. the sheet for my truck says I can haul a 3262 lbs camper. The ccc is 4114 on the door post. So I think there shouldnít be a problem with the weight.
Now we need get it to fit my truck. I need to raise the camper about 3Ē to clear the rails and cab. Also Iím a little concerned about the clearance at the tailgate when clearing the bathroom area of the camper. The other side has a storage box. Which leaves approximately 3/4Ē
I was thinking about using 4x4s and plywood to make a base to raise the camper. But after doing some googling Iím going to try putting 2 layers of blue board insulation. It hardly weighs anything, will have full support under the camper and will add insulation to the floor. And I need to make up a cord to plug in my lights.
The people selling it seen very nice, they told us to come back tomorrow and load it up and see how it fits. If it donít fit we donít have to buy it.
We will see what happens tomorrow.
Thanks again
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #5

Stableduck, Thanks for getting back to us on this!

When you lower the Lance onto your truck, besides watching for contact at the bed rails and cab-over, also watch that the ends of the rear bumper does not contact the Lance's tank or underside.

Sounds like you have a very good handle on this. Good luck moving forward with the purchase!

Regards,
-Jake-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Stableduck, Thanks for getting back to us on this!

When you lower the Lance onto your truck, besides watching for contact at the bed rails and cab-over, also watch that the ends of the rear bumper does not contact the Lance's tank or underside.

Sounds like you have a very good handle on this. Good luck moving forward with the purchase!

Regards,

-Jake-

The deal didnít go thru. Doing a final inspection I found some rotten wood. Further investigation found it was pretty bad.
I believe the owners were not aware of it.
Iím kind of bummed. But at least I found it before it was my problem.
Well back to searching craigslist and Facebook market place.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #7

Quote:
The deal didnít go thru. Doing a final inspection I found some rotten wood. Further investigation found it was pretty bad.
I believe the owners were not aware of it.
Iím kind of bummed. But at least I found it before it was my problem.
Well back to searching craigslist and Facebook market place.
You probably already know this, but using SearchTempest is the fastest way to search Craigslist. I have used that a lot in the past.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
You probably already know this, but using SearchTempest is the fastest way to search Craigslist. I have used that a lot in the past.

We are going to look at a 2004 S&S 8.6 ponderosa Tuesday. Might be getting a little heavy, he said the sticker say 2800 lbs.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
We are going to look at a 2004 S&S 8.6 ponderosa Tuesday. Might be getting a little heavy, he said the sticker say 2800 lbs.
As I mentioned earlier, depending on how much this 2,800 lb. camper "really weighs" will ultimately determine whether it will be a good match or not. Many of these official looking "stickers" are notoriously inaccurate---sometimes to the tune of 500-1,000 lbs. IMO, investing $10-$15 and the time to visit a CAT scale can potentially be the most important part of your decision-making process. Good luck!
Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #10

I think the standard advice regarding final weight is to simply add 800-1,000 pounds to whatever manufacturer states which also allows for food and clothes. We tote a load of stuff in our cab so our CATs out 1,000 over.

Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote