Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
chassis upgrades

getting my truck ready for a slide in tc . so looking for anything i am missing. what i have done so far. hellwig sway bars front and back. coil over shocks front and back. lift 1000 in front springs, hellwig pro springs rear. new brake pads front and rear. flushed brake fluid. inspected wheel bearings . repacked front. replaced diff. oil and trans (manual 5 speed) oil. lubed all chassis points. replaced carrier bearings. so anything i have missed? I got one two week vacation this year . can not have on the road problems caused by something i could have prevented . should mention it is a 1995 f150xl extended cab. straight six 300 , that is running perfect(love that engine). thinking about doing the front end , tracks straight even at 85 but again , 135K of road those... also have four new 235/75-15 108 load rated tires waiting on some rims from the bone yard. need to sort out the alt. . want to switch to a 3rd gen. and get the truck to slide in connector sorted asap. good threads on both those mods though.

mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Hello, in your post you haven't mentioned if your truck is a long box and your campers, size or weight.
There are limits to what a 1/2 ton can safely carry, and a camper in a short box, extended cab.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Check out the smaller Hallmark or Outfitter, pop-up campers. That's about the only Campers you will be able to put on your 95 F-150. Any camper with a slide will require a 3/4 or 1 ton Truck depending which model and manufacturers you go with. Go on the TC Sites of Arctic fox, Lance, Eagle cap and Northern Lite check the weights for the slide out TC's.
Good luck in your search.
Scott Stielow IC1(SW) USN Retired
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
suspension upgrades

understand gross weight and center of balance... was hoping someone here might read what i have done to my truck and see something i missed on the suspension.
example on the 4.9 straight six forum i got this gem when stating i flushed my radiator and added super cool to the antifreeze as part of prepping the engine systems.. a member suggested beyond flushing the radiator you have to make sure the expansion tank is cleaned out . turned out mine had a inch of sludge that would have been sucked back in the freshly flushed radiator and new antifreeze with wetter added. that tank is constantly being filed and drained as the fluid in the radiator expands and contracts with engine heat. another reason to have a fresh radiator cap with the proper pressure rating for your cooling system.
any tips on suspension set ups for t/c's beyond what i have already done?

long bed / why i replaced the carrier bearing and the u joints.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
How heavy a camper are you planning on?
Do you have a 7 pin connector in the bed for the camper lights?
Do you have tie downs on the truck?
Do you have wide mirrors so you can see around the camper?
2005 Chevy CC Dually D/A, 2003 Fleetwood 11X truck camper, 1997 Larson 206SEI boat
KD4UPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
focus on suspension upgrades

Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
How heavy a camper are you planning on?
Do you have a 7 pin connector in the bed for the camper lights?
Do you have tie downs on the truck?
Do you have wide mirrors so you can see around the camper?
all good subjects for other posts.
-yes on 7 pin in bed /upgrading alt to 130amp 3 gen. will post up in another thread
-tie downs, bumper happy jacks rear front torque-somethings to frame, all four corners spring loaded happy jack turnbuckles best in a post about tie downs
-mirrors again another post and i need to address this asap
-camper weight is less of a matter then the motor cycles , boat, hot rod on a trailer and all the crap i will put in the camper. i have access to four tire scales from a circle track buddy . so am good with weight distribution and gross.