Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Regarding shipping costs, manufacturers normally charge the same shipping costs to all their dealers to avoid putting one dealer or another at an advantage or disadvantage., unless that is something that has recently changed.
I would agree with you if we were discussing the auto industry. The RV industry charges the dealer based on distance - Even if paperwork does not reflect it, that FL dealer buying BC built campers will be paying more than the WA dealers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
I would agree with you if we were discussing the auto industry. The RV industry charges the dealer based on distance - Even if paperwork does not reflect it, that FL dealer buying BC built campers will be paying more than the WA dealers.

If the paperwork does not reflect a shipping charge, is there a way to substantiate which of us is correct? I know the RV industry has stated in the past that shipping charges are the same across dealers and the breakdown for my camper with options does not show a line item charge for shipping. Perhaps it was a deception? Don't know, but it is an interesting point.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #31

The last three new campers I have purchased all showed shipping charge based on distance and that it was a multiple load. I believe Host campers are about $1.50/mile but you can halve or third the cost on a multiple unit delivery.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
The last three new campers I have purchased all showed shipping charge based on distance and that it was a multiple load. I believe Host campers are about $1.50/mile but you can halve or third the cost on a multiple unit delivery.
Thanks. I wonder if it is that way for everyone. I searched all the Norhstar dealers before purchasing and could not find a relationship between price and distance from the manufacturer. Maybe the charge is somehow hidden. There are so darn many factors that go into pricing. The cheapest dealer was hundreds of miles farther from the factory than the closer dealers.

Just one of those interesting factoids.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #33

Some dealers may hide it in overhead or some other fee, but the two dealers on my last three purchases did not. The best purchase price is not always the closest to the manufacturing location. When I shopped for five Host price quotes, the closet dealer was the second most expensive and the farthest dealer the second least expensive. Like I posted early, even if a dealer quotes a better price, the overhead for your drive there and back may make it less of a deal.

I chose a dealer that has five locations and one of those is very convenient for me. The fact they they were price competitive and provided me a good experience with a prior purchase sealed my choice.

Knowing that cost of transport has be factored in somewhere on the cost of doing business, leveraging shipment time with other orders saved me or the dealer some money. I know my toy hauler was shipped on a low boy with a second smaller trailer and both my truck campers came as a shipment of three from the factories.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #34

Hi Randy,

I just picked up my Bigfoot 10.4, went through the same decisions you did, and also rented various RVs in preceeding years (including Cruise America Lance 650).

I just looked at the AF online, wow, they changed the interior and I like it a lot better than before (country kitsch).

Not sure if you pointed out:
- Alde,
--runs at 90% or so propane efficiency vs. 75% or so on regular heaters
--takes a while to heat up, so you don't fire it up in AM and get instant heat
--can run it at night (supposedly) and not suck up your batteries, which won't be issue anyway if you go with Lithium style batteries
-- only heat the hot water you need vs. 6 gallons for regular heater
-- biggest surprise when I picked up my camper, fired up the 30k BTU Atwood or whatever it is and it was QUIET! I was shocked at how quiet the new Atwood is. In the rental RVs, its sounds like a jet engine throttling up and scares the dog when it flips on! So a perceived negative of the old heater no longer applies.

AF, water heater under sink, long run to shower? That means you'll be collecting more cold water in a bucket for dishes or toilet!

Cirrus, the freezer space is really limited, depends on how long you plan to stay out. That was a large negative for me.

AF, fewer seams in the wet bath. Sad to say, saw a 920 in Phoenix where one of the shower panels didn't have enough glue and was not adhering. After that, I really appreciated the single piece/zero seam construction of my Bigfoot!

The good news though, if you're full-timing and enjoying the outdoors, either of these campers will be a great choice!

Good luck!
Dave (retiring end of July ... )
Camp_Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp_Woof View Post
Hi Randy,

I just picked up my Bigfoot 10.4, went through the same decisions you did, and also rented various RVs in preceeding years (including Cruise America Lance 650).

I just looked at the AF online, wow, they changed the interior and I like it a lot better than before (country kitsch).

Not sure if you pointed out:
- Alde,
--runs at 90% or so propane efficiency vs. 75% or so on regular heaters
--takes a while to heat up, so you don't fire it up in AM and get instant heat
--can run it at night (supposedly) and not suck up your batteries, which won't be issue anyway if you go with Lithium style batteries
-- only heat the hot water you need vs. 6 gallons for regular heater
-- biggest surprise when I picked up my camper, fired up the 30k BTU Atwood or whatever it is and it was QUIET! I was shocked at how quiet the new Atwood is. In the rental RVs, its sounds like a jet engine throttling up and scares the dog when it flips on! So a perceived negative of the old heater no longer applies.

AF, water heater under sink, long run to shower? That means you'll be collecting more cold water in a bucket for dishes or toilet!

Cirrus, the freezer space is really limited, depends on how long you plan to stay out. That was a large negative for me.

AF, fewer seams in the wet bath. Sad to say, saw a 920 in Phoenix where one of the shower panels didn't have enough glue and was not adhering. After that, I really appreciated the single piece/zero seam construction of my Bigfoot!

The good news though, if you're full-timing and enjoying the outdoors, either of these campers will be a great choice!

Good luck!
Dave (retiring end of July ... )
Thank you so much Dave.
Very good points you mentioned.
Randy
RandyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote