Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #1

Cirrus 820 Looking for Opinions

Hello,

I used to be pretty active on IRV2 years ago, however we took a bit of a hiatus from RVing, and now looking at getting back into it...

We've owned several RV's, and were full-time in a MH for many years. Getting back into all this again I am impressed that we are finally starting to see some really cool innovations from the RV Industry, and so much has changed in regard to efficiency. Our camping desires have changed as well, and now we are looking at a truck camper.

We have a 2018 Chevy 3500HD SRW 4x4 Shortbox, Crewcab. The truck is somewhat limiting to what I can haul. I have spent a lot of time looking at weights and what is available right now both used and new. We have really come to the conclusion that we'll need to buy new. We narrowed it down to a few models, then finally to the Cirrus 820. I really like the modern thinking, the Alde System, Azdel, and the design for the most part. Our closest dealer is 250 miles away, and we are going to "look" this weekend, however I am hoping to get some information from the Kind folks here on iRV2!

My Questions for you Cirrus 820 Owners:

What do you really love?
What do you really hate?
What are the real world weights? I know things will be close with this combination, but I am thinking I will still be under (just).
Where did you buy, and if comfortable sharing what did you pay (We can do this in email, or % off MSRP is cool too!)
Would you have bought this rig again?
What did you compare it to?

Finally the fun stuff... What upgrades did you do?

Thanks All in Advance!
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

Although I don't own a Cirrus, I do like the Euro design and heating and wish others went in that in direction. Having owned two truck campers now, there are some things in the Cirrus I would not like:

1. Large rear bumper requires a long extension if you want to tow
2. I prefer a dark bedroom for sleeping, so keep away from skylights in the cab over
3. I still like conventional dual pane glass windows in a sliding track over plastic or flip windows.

Be aware that the Cirrus is narrower than many of the campers which are 8' wide. This makes for a more aerodynamic camper but takes away some interior space. Some people that have the Cirrus on DRW's and SRW's with wide tires have had to customize wider swing out brackets since the stock swing outs put the jacks very close to the truck body work when loading.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #3

The Cirrus is tempting for the reasons you noted but a recent review on truckcamperadventure.com sure noted a bunch of problems including a fairly major one with the Alde. Clearly, as with me, looks aren’t everything.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the input-- Are you referring to the review from Lonnie and Guther on July 22nd? From what I am reading it all sounds pretty minor...
Old 09-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

Yes, that review.
I guess our views of ‘minor’ differ. When I buy something new and supposedly high tech I expect it to work well. It isn’t like those things are cheap! What puts me off them, besides the problems, is the small tankage as I am a boondocker or plan to be soon.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

I looked at this truck camper on YouTube. I am intrigued as it looks very modern and I like the way it is built. I will be in Ohio and Pennsylvania next week. I see that is where they have dealers. I will try to stop at a dealership to take an in person look.

FWIW - I looked at the Lance campers and they were heavy.

Have you though about trading your truck on a 2020 gas powered 3500 SRW with a lot more cargo capacity?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

Yeah, No. Sorry, The difference between the Gas and Diesel is 131lbs of payload in a crew cab shortbox SRW configuration. Gas is 4058, Diesel is 3927. While Yes, 131 is something, it isn't enough for me to give up 901 ft lbs of Torque. Also the GVWR of the Gasser is 10800 vs. 11500, so while it is lighter, can can't call that much more. That said, yes, I wish I had a big enough garage, and didn't need to use it as a daily driver, going to clients, etc. if that was the case I would have gotten a dually... But, we need to make compromises...
Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #8

Earlier this year we looked seriously at the Cirrus 820. Very nice unit. The 2 issues for us were the bathroom and dinette table. Although the bathroom is very functional, it did had a large amount of crevices and seams that looked like they'd be a real hassle to clean for the long haul---not to mention the leak potential. As for the dinette table, it had a large compartment (box?) underneath the dinette table that took up maybe half the legroom---looked really out of place. Enough room for two people to sit, but definitely not four. Other than these two issues, we really liked it a lot.
Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #9

I too looked at Cirrus and decided that $27,000 was more than I wanted to spend. I bought a Palamino HS2901 at $22,400 with Thule side awning installed as extra. It has been good but not without problems that should have been taken care of at factory. We all know there is not a RV out there that does not have something wrong with it from factory and the dealer. Can be very frustrating. The other TC I looked at was Travel Lite. They are the only company out there that uses an outside inspection company for inspections before it leaves factory. Good luck
pbrockmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

Here is a pretty good review of a fulltime couple on YouTube. They like their Cirrus, but they have several problem areas, bathroom sink leaking water down bathroom wall when folded up, Aldi heating system problems (I have even heard some of the Cirrus pull behind campers having problems with Aldi), heating and a/c thermostat is mounted over the stove area which makes it hard to get heating and a/c set correctly.
Hope this helps.
2 Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #11

cirrus820

hi Moder2 wondering if you moved forward with that purchase? I am in the same boat now with a ram 3500 srw shortbed and also looking at that 820.
sftcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moder2 View Post
Yeah, No. Sorry, The difference between the Gas and Diesel is 131lbs of payload in a crew cab shortbox SRW configuration. Gas is 4058, Diesel is 3927. While Yes, 131 is something, it isn't enough for me to give up 901 ft lbs of Torque. Also the GVWR of the Gasser is 10800 vs. 11500, so while it is lighter, can can't call that much more. That said, yes, I wish I had a big enough garage, and didn't need to use it as a daily driver, going to clients, etc. if that was the case I would have gotten a dually... But, we need to make compromises...
Only 131 lbs payload difference in diesel vs gas?
Longshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftcamper View Post
hi Moder2 wondering if you moved forward with that purchase? I am in the same boat now with a ram 3500 srw shortbed and also looking at that 820.
Yes...inquiring minds want to know...
Longshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #14

2019 820

I have a 19 model. I love it overall.
Plenty of items to nitpick and the videos do a good job of hitting those. I use mine more in the winter and take it to some of the most extremely cold environments. Has yet to ever freeze up any waterlines or tanks at -5 to -10 F. Even frig keeps working.
The alde hydronic heating system was the #1 reason I went with cirrus 820. I can change a lot of things on an rv but the heating system is a bit much. 😁
First thing I did when purchased was put 2 lithium batteries inside under dinette seat.
Later added full inverter charger.

I can answer specific questions if needed.
Wvherb is offline   Reply With Quote