Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:09 AM   #1

good morning everybody.
just returned from spending xmas and new year's camping in central bc.
up north they do not salt the roads, they use sand and gravel.
upon returning home and trying to clean the outside of the camper I noticed the road spray has stained the back of the camper.
tried the usual automotive type cleaners but you can still see discolouration of the fiberglass compared to other areas.
any suggestions?
thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:09 AM   #2

good morning everybody.
just returned from spending xmas and new year's camping in central bc.
up north they do not salt the roads, they use sand and gravel.
upon returning home and trying to clean the outside of the camper I noticed the road spray has stained the back of the camper.
tried the usual automotive type cleaners but you can still see discolouration of the fiberglass compared to other areas.
any suggestions?
thanks.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #3

I trust you all had a good outing, Rockman, with lots of great white stuff.

You say sand and gravel, but how about the frequently used calcium chloride or anything else to keep the sand and gravel flowing. Some of the larger buildings in town use calcum chloride to melt the white stuff.

Here they have salt in with sand, because otherwise the moisture in it would keep it frozen and from being spread on the roads.

It would be nice to hear what your roads maintenance people say about that.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #4

Rockman,

Your "stain" problem.

This is a long shot but you might try a solution of sulfamic acid normally used to clean the grout glaze that one gets after installing ceramic tile.

The sand/gravel that was used on the road may have included some coal fly ash (or crushed limestone) which when wet acts as a cement and thus would create film that could be very hard to remove using regular car cleaners/waxes. On the calcium chloride mentioned by Little Kopit...this too could create a problem...the Ca in the calcium chloride will react with with the fine-grained sand to also create a film.

I don't think the sulfamic acid (a weak acid) will hurt the gelcoat...but to be sure try to clean a small spot underneath the bigfoot.

If this works or does not work let us know.

HEMI (Bigfoot 3000)
Old 01-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #5

There are many boat color restorers and polishers that work well. Star brite is one I have used successfully in the past and can be had for about $10.00 at wally world.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #6

my bigfoot is getting old but was proud of the fact no matter how muddy i managed to get it,
it always cleaned up white again.
this is the first time i was unsuccessful.

i am a little nervous about using anything caustic around the camper decals and sealants.

i have seen the starbrite products so maybe i will give their marine cleaner a try.

thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #7

Rockman, i think you will be fine with them i have used them for years on my boats with no negative efects. Scotty.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #8

I've had excellent luck with, beleive it or not, Mr Clean magic Erasure. It takes some elbow grease, but this stuff takes the fiberglass back to the original white. It works nicely inside as well.
'04 Ford F350 Lariat PSD, Ext Cab, AFE Stage 2, Gauges, Edge with Monitor, Brushguard, chip & 4" SS Exhaust, Piaas x 4 '04 Hallmark Chuchara Camper I'm decking out slowly with 22" LCD TV, generator, 4 Marine Batteries...
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #9

My experience with Mr. Clean regular on enameled wood surfaces is that it takes off more than dirt. With care, one is just lightening up the paint job, but the paint colour definitely came off in the cleaning water.

So, Rockman, with that experience for me, I wouldn't use Mr. Clean on my moulded fiberglass camper. The outermost coat on my TC is auto paint.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:04 AM   #10

it is definitely a staining of the gelcoat and not a layer bonded to the surface.
it is strange that other sections of the camper which get road spray but are not stained.
it is only the rear section that is affected.

walmart did not have starbright, will try other stores.
tried black streak remover but it had no impact.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is definitely a staining of the gelcoat and not a layer bonded to the surface. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My camper is not made by the manufacturer, but I certainly understood that the outer layer on mine (also moulded fiberglass) is automotive paint, not gelcoat.

Can you ask Bigfoot?

Old 01-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #12

I have a Bigfoot...the fiberglass is covered with gelcoat.
On staining: I once left a bolt or nut or something sitting sitting back ledge (I have the BF3000) by the door. As a result a small rust stain developed on the gelcoat. I found it very difficult to remove the stain. Can not recall what I used to remove the stain but when I finally did remove it that small area of gelcoat "lost" its shine.

It may be that rockman's rear section (that stained) was not recently polished with wax and thus the road spray did not bead off.

HEMI
Old 01-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #13

Mr. Clena Magic Erasure is a new product and not to be confused with the liquid. They are small pads.
'04 Ford F350 Lariat PSD, Ext Cab, AFE Stage 2, Gauges, Edge with Monitor, Brushguard, chip & 4" SS Exhaust, Piaas x 4 '04 Hallmark Chuchara Camper I'm decking out slowly with 22" LCD TV, generator, 4 Marine Batteries...
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #14

I have also used a product from NAPA it's a hand glaze very light compound that I have used with good results.Try a marine store for the star brite -West Marine/Boat US/ marine USA etc. or their brand of same stuff. Scotty.