RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

Cold weather camping

I have a chalet triple slide n plan to stay by my buddies house up in NY state lake George next week and temps look to go down to 13 at night maybe 32 or a bit more during the day, I have 20,000 btu heater can add a plug in heater also since I will be plugged in to 110 am I going to freeze only been in like 25 degree nights before, any ideas plan to keep it on the truck so can seal it up some.I know I have to run the forced air heater to keep tanks from freezing, I just like my own house n bed instead of staying in there house.Plan in staying 5-6 days

5050racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is Your basement ducted with heat or does it use a fan that runs when the furnace is activated?

I had an AF that the fan to "heat" the basement only ran when the furnace was on....

So Long story short. if you use portable heaters to heat your rig the warm air may not get to the basement because the fan that needs to run is connected to the furnace which will probably not turn on cause the portable heaters are warming up the TC.....

I ended up putting a manual switch on my basement fan so it would run when the furnace was not on.....

camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Basement ducted and heated
Old 11-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #4

I will definitely let the furnace do most of the work just wondering how long my 60lbs of propane will last I’m bringing one extra 30lb with me total 90lbs
Old 11-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #5

I camp occasionally where the daytime temps are 40 degrees but nights are 25 degrees. I use about 30lbs of propane in 5 days running the furnace just at night. I am in a 25' travel trailer with a 35,000btu furnace.

You are heating a much smaller area I would think 30 lbs would last 7 days if just heating at night. I also use an electric blanket to take the chill out of the mattress.

I supplemented heat with a little electric heater also.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:19 PM   #6

Awesome reply that’s what I was wanting to know about how long a 30lb would last I realize things are not all the same but a good idea I’ll have 90lbs of propane the camper holds 60 in a roll out drawer n lll bring a extra 30 In a vented area may stay longer thanks for that info, I’m not that much smaller believe it or not 12.5 wide 21.5 long opened up the slide take a lot to keep warm
Old 11-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #7

Living in Colorado we camp in the cold all the time. We head to the Mountains and camp in night time temps hitting 0 or lower with no AC power. The Propane heater in our Lance 1181 works just fine keeping the camper at 68 all the time. We usually burn through a 30lb bottle in 3 - 4 nights depending on how much we use the stove and the on board generator. My basement is ducted like yours so no holding tank issues. The only thing we do a little different is that we bring our water up in 7 gal camping jugs and we do not use the water tank and water system. Partly because I'm too lazy to de-winterize and then re-winterize after our trip and partly to eliminate the risk of freezing a waterline in the wall. We also keep all the cabinet doors cracked open a little to allow warm air to flow throughout the camper. We have never had an issue. Have a great trip.
ChallengerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #8

Great idea like leaving the cabinet doors open in a old house that has bathrooms on north side, thanks for the reply
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5050racing View Post
Great idea leaving the cabinet doors open in a old house that has bathrooms on north side, thanks for the reply
You will be fine - just Keep the Propane FULL as possible - as running out would be a disaster.

Also check to see if you could possibly get to a second separately fused extension cord - allowing an electric heater on it's own circuit - to just give you a little Boost.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #10

Thanks I’ve set up next to his house couple times in late October n just used small electric heater temps went down to high 20s so as not to use propane much at all just to confirm it works power cord fine camped here many time just never this cold
Old 11-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #11

+2 on keeping your propane tank full. We ski/camp in Colorado each winter and used Blue Rhino bottles last year. Had to swap them out every 3-4 days in our 33 ft rig with nighttime temps between -11 and 7. If the tanks are too cold a lot (30-40%) of propane will remain in liquid form, and will not feed your line. I have a plug-in propane tank heating wrap to keep the propane warm enough to fully gas off.
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #12

Great ideas I will have 3-30lb tanks

Tags
camping, cold weather