Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #1

cold weather camping

I have always appreciated the info posted on this site. It has always been very informative. Thanks. I am relatively inexerienced in RVing, but I have made a few trips with a Lance 835 slide in camper over the past two years. This year I would like to travel from the Northeast to Florida in FEB. My plan is to flush the antifreeze the day before I leave, and run the furnace the whole time, to prevent damage from freezing temps. I do not have a winter package, but I have access to most of the plumbing by open the doors. My thought was to leave the doors open, run the heat, and maybe add a drop light into the void space by the tank. I will leave CT early and be in North Carolina by the first night fall. Any thoughts, concerns, ideas, would be appreciated. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
CD

RVRD
I don't know what temps you will be dealing with but I would just leave antifreeze in until warmer temps. If your camper is like ours there are pipes that are exposed to outside temps or close to it. One day or so of using rest stops etc would be better than fixing something.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

Thanks, maybe I will wait 'till the 7 day forcast is in range and consider it then.-RD
Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRD View Post
and maybe add a drop light into the void space by the tank.
What is the power source for this light?

Since you will be moving South, the chances of freezing is diminishing as you travel.
219RKS Idle Time 5th Wheel, Outfitter Apex-8 Truck Camper, 2012 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 gas e/w Air Lift Load Lifter 5000. We have visited all 50 states and all of the Canadian Provinces & seen all 5 of the Great Lakes since retiring in 1994.
magic43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #5

I made this trip successfully in between the two major February snowstorms in the mid-atlantic states this year. I brought the drop light, but did not use it. My plan had been to plug it in one of my camper outlets and leave it in the bathroom cabinet. My camper has an inverter, so I have 110 power available as long as the camper is plugged into the truck(while running) or on the deep cycle.

I ended up buying a cheap wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer at the hardware store before I left. I put the transmitter inside the 'outdoor' shower cabinet, kept the reciever with me in the cab while on the road, and by my side in the bunk. I figured that would be the best indicator of the temp in the wall of the camper. With the furnace on about 68-70 degrees, and all the cabinets inside open, the temp never dropped below 40 degrees in the wall. We had some days that the outside temp was in the teens but never below that. Coldest night was 21 degrees in FLA, but not long enough to freeze up. Even without a cold weather package, the Lance camper is pretty airtight.

In the end we stayed 12 nights below North Carolina, and all but two had dropped below 32. We had no freeze ups, but did have to top off the propane once along the way. I carry two 20lb tanks, and I used almost four during the trip. It was worth it to stay comfortable and for peace of mind.