Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #15
The 350 & 450 each are rated at 6k for the front and 9650 for the rear. ( box delete 2011)

2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
...Even the largest 11' slide in camper with slide outs is not going to have anywhere near the living or storage space of a 5th wheel or even a 20' TT. Easy to do the math when you have a 7' width and a 11' length and compare that to a 20' long TT or 5th wheel. Slide-outs add to the living space but also can take away from the available storage space...
Even my 10' TC is nearly 12' width with the full wall slide out, length is 20' front to rear. Storage is a compromise, but even so I have never filled all the closets/cabinets when travelng, but have to pack light as everything loaded adds to the total load on the truck.

98 3500 Ram 4x4
05 Arctic Fox 990
FF1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
What camper do you have that is 10' wide. I was looking for a new camper last year and none exceeded 8' width. You cannot compare the living space in a 20' TT with that of a 20' camper that has 11' of true floor space length and 70% of that is taken up by the bath, fridge, stove, and cabinets. Lastly a camper is going to have a total loaded weight of 6,000 lbs. or less if it is going to go on any standard 1-ton pickup truck which does not come close to the total weight that can be carried with a TT or a 5th wheel.

I choose a TC over a TT or a 5th wheel or a MH as I like to travel "light" and wanted a rig I could take almost anywhere without a second thought, and that includes narrow NFS roads cut by a CAT with hairpin turns where I would not dream of pulling a trailer of any kind or driving a MH. But I appreciate that a TT provides the most bang for the buck of any RV.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
Not 10' wide, 10' floor length with an AF990 & deep full wall slide.
98 3500 Ram 4x4
05 Arctic Fox 990
FF1063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
Walkthrough: Eagle Cap 1160
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for all the responses...

What I gather is that to get what I want is a $50K proposition..Its not the camper cost, its getting the right sized truck!

Thanks for all the guidance

Just a bit too spendy for me. I don't have much more than that invested in my DP!
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
If you use searchtempest.com to scan the craigslist listings in your area you may spot some deals where people are selling a truck and camper together. I have seen some great deals where people bought a 1-ton truck and large camper and for various reasons have had to stop traveling (spouse dies, kids grow up, ill health, etc.).

In such a purchase the truck has had tie-downs and air bags and wiring for the camper and possibly upgraded tires and or rims. This can save you a significant amount of money and effort. With a truck dedicated for camper hauling the mileage tends to be a lot lower than when the truck is also used for around town use. Even if the truck and camper are a few hundred miles away it is a much simpler operation to get in, adjust the side mirrors, and drive away with the RV.

As with all RV's the resale value is largely a function of age and not wear and tear or miles driven. With campers there is also the huge increases in the price for new ones over the past 10 years. The model Lance 845 I have first sold in 1999 for a MSRP of around $12,000 but by 2008 the price was up over $18,000 and it has been replaced by the model 855 which starts at over $27,000. A used 2001 camper has been paid off long ago by its owner who is happy to get $5K-8K for it. Same applies to a truck that is 7-10 years old.

You can also save $5000 by getting a gas powered truck instead of one with a diesel engine and if the truck has a 4.10 rear end it will handle the load nearly as well most of the time.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Current owner of a 40' DP (see signature picture)

We are looking to go into places we just can't get into in the MOHO, and I don't want to pull a trailer. I got a trailer for motorcycles and ATV's.

Looking for lots of water and waste storage,
lots of battery space and generator space

I am willing to get whatever size truck I need with 4X4 to get to those dispersed camping sites in the NFS.

I LOVE the EarthRoamers, but they are a bit pricey

What do I need to look for and know before I begin shopping?

Thanks in advance for the help
We owned a 45' motorcoach, towed a 28' enclosed trailer that hauled my garage adn off road jeep.

We now have a TC, AF 1150 and have NEVER looked back, would not trade our TC for any MC, TT, fiver built, no way, no how.

I like getting in the outback and with our F 350 4x4 CC, LB dually we can. It not a Jeep but it will let you get back to the rear, your biggest issues will be overhead limbs and stuff THINK before you drive 12000 lbs of truck/camper into mud or creeks.

We personally like the Arctic Fox 1150 for its layout, and we have lived in it for as long as 3 mo along with our 4 dogs. No issues, no regrets and plenty of storage for everything we needed. Our 1150 is a dry bath and has one slide, 2500 genset and 100w solar panel...NOTE you will NOT run AC/HEAT off solar on a TC.

Look very closely at layout, go for a 4 season unit...

Let us know what you chose
... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
One day when time and money are more plentiful, I'd like to build my own all terrain motorhome. Ingredients:

Military 2.5 ton truck rolling chassis with heavily modified suspension
Whatever cab and doghouse you prefer
Cummins diesel engine, size/model/modifications to be determined, as well as transmission (personal preferences come to play)
Top notch RV appliances
Probably 16' long cabin
1/8" steel plate outer skin
200 gallon fuel capacity
Onan diesel genset
Dual 13,500 btu ducted rooftop air units (the steel tank will get hot) with steel plate shield/shroud
Everything else will be 12V and/or propane capable and efficient.
200 gallon FW capacity
50 gallon black tank
150 gallon gray tank
Awning will have steel shield to protect it when rolled up
Outside kitchen
Outside shower
Outside speakers
Possibly a cargo deck for toys/gear
This will be rolling on 46" Michelin XL military tires to increase overdrive ratio, ground clearance and overall stance. The wheelbase will need ground clearance and before anyone says anything about it driving like crap, I can't speak for how a 2.5 ton deuce & 1/2 drives but I had these tires on a 3/4 ton dodge diesel and they drive better than most oversize light truck tires I've ever been on including 35x12.50x17 load range E BFG's so I'm sure they would be great on the 2.5 ton platform.
Back to the ATMH :
Maybe Lexan windows?
Any outside accessory would be steel shielded. The interior would be much like any motorhome as far as amenities.
The under belly area would have underbody toolboxes, generator, battery compartments (huge battery bank, inverter, solar system, etc)
As well as holding tanks and fuel system. All would have massive steel shields and skid plates.

Ok we might have to upgrade that chassis to a 5 ton lol

But you get the idea.., it's not gonna be overloaded or inadequate, it'll have a lower profile than most any TV or MH as well as being tough enough to battle any limbs and terrain it would be subject to. Much like an earth roamer but on a budget and built exactly to specs. Plus it would go places one ton duallies couldn't dream of going especially loaded to the gills. If they happened to make it out the other side, they would be broken an badly battered, lucky to be roadworthy and functional.

If you want, I'm even willing to build your dream rig. It won't be $20,000 but it won't be $250,000 either. I love building things completely different and custom. If I had the money I would've already started building the rig I described.
If money was no object the design could be entirely different, lighter weight, whatever ya like.

The allure of a TC has always had a pull on me, but I'm very Leary of its short comings and disappointments.
1988 SunLite Hideaway 9.5' TC project

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
I do a lot of forest service road traveling. I have lived in Wash and North Idaho my entire life. We have lots of gravel forest service roads here. I do a lot of back county exploration in my jeep. i do cleanup for the forest services districts to help keep trails open for fire fighting.
I have had a lot of different setups and am currently in the middle of a change. My 31 foot class A did a nice job.
No matter what you get! you do not want to try cruising forest service roads in a big RV of any kind. Anything can happen on the roads. I had tree fall across the hood of my jeep when I was stopped once.
Most forest service camp grounds are only a few miles in on gravel and get pretty wash bordy.
Up here you can't drive around with just anything. Forest service access roads need to have a street legal, licensed rig. There are designated trails areas for quads and dirt bikes. (different and complicated subject) Thats why I have towed a jeep and not cycles.
I am changing to a camper myself. I was at a dealer here in Spokane and they showed me the biggest TC I think I ever have seen. It was a tripple slide and had a huge platform deck on the rear that tied into the truck receiver for towing. The manufacturer would only let it be sold to someone with a 1 ton dually or larger. This thing had way more storage than my 31' class A.
The right rig is defenately out there. Just have to figure out what makes sence for you.
Good luck
Stumpbumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #25
I happen to be starting a company with a product that might solve your motorcycle hauling issue. I want to respect the advertising rules on this site, but it is directly related to your post.
Its not in any production yet, I would like to get feed back from professional RV'ers on it first. i4 Mechanical Deisgn Inc Homepage I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post websites in threads, the rule list was very long.
i4 MDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #26
First of all the F-450 actually has a lower load carrying capacity than the F-350. The F-450 for the most part has a lower rear end gear ratio to increase its towing capacity, with the engine and drive train otherwise identical to the F-350.

Where people go wrong is in looking at the GVWR of the truck. A current 1-ton and 3/4 ton with diesel truck will have a rear axle with a load rating of more than 10,000 lbs. but a rear weight capacity factory rating of less than 4,000 lbs. with the 2700 lbs. of the rear of the truck. Why the 3300 lb. or greater discrepancy? Quite simple actually as the factory specified gross weight at the rear axle is based on the weakest component which is the tires. Most tires on these trucks have a load rating of around 3000 lbs. at 80 PSI. But if you change the tire and or the rims you can increase this up to 4500 lbs. per wheel. This is why people have been able to drive around with campers loaded to weights that exceed their GVWR by a couple thousand pounds without any problems.

Regardless of the camper you buy you will want to upgrade the factory supplied tires and the factory supplied shocks. In some cases you may want to add air shocks and a rear anti-sway bar and possibly even go to 19.5 rims and tires. It all depends upon the load you want to carry.

For your needs I would be sure to get a long bed truck and a camper that comes straight from the factory with dual LPG tanks and dual batteries. If I was buying a new camper I would be sure that the manufacturer provided 8 gauge wiring from the roof to a location for a solar panel charger controller and to a proper location. Most, including Lance, use 12 ga wire and run it to crazy places that are not appropriate for a charge controller.

I have spent the past 10 days camping in campsites in NV and UT and MT where anything longer than 28 feet would not have fit. I have been over roads where a trailer would not be practical to tow. I forgo some space and amenities but have maximum flexibility in terms of where I can go and where I can camp.

An alternative practiced in the western USA is to stow an ATV inside the bed of a truck and pull a travel trailer. For some areas this has definite advantages.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #27
If your thinking of gettng a TC start looking at trucks to see how much payload you can really carry. It has been a while since I looked at new trucks, so things may have changed. I know Ford has a camper package and part of that is a cert of how much weight the truck can carry. Based on the certs that I have seen I would bet that most f250 with hard sided campers are over the Ford cert weight. I think if you are going with a hard side camper you going to need to get a DRW. The cert weight is going be different on every truck since its based on gvw and the weight of the truck.

What kind of camping experience do you really want? Are you looking at just driving a mile or 2 down a dirt road? Do you want to beable to drive several miles in, where you might not see anyone for days? Also when you are camping is the truck the only vehicle that you have to expore with? Do you want to drive several miles down a old dirt road that someone may not have been on for several years? A 4x4 DRW and EarthRoamers are cool trucks but if you really want to get off the beaten path I won't want one. These are just too big, I have been on several dirt roads that I need to turn around on and I don't think I could have done it with one of these.

Have you thought about getting a pop up truck camper? You will be giving up a lot with one of these but gaining more flexibility. Check out this web site to see of these in action: Wander the West. These kind of setup will help you 'get to those dispersed camping sites in the NFS.' Someone brought up that they needed a hard sided camper for a camp ground due to bears. I have been camping in the west for 30 years so far I have only seen this in one camp ground. And this campground was so front contry that you won't need a 4x4 to get to.

The other thing you asked for is water/waste power storage. Since you already have a RV how much of these do you use everyday? Do you keep track of it? You might not need as much as you think you do.

Just some food for thought.
joez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
Originally Posted by Chief 2 View Post
You can have the best of both worlds within reason. We use to travel in our 38" Mobile Suite 5'r. We now travel in our Lance 1181 TC with a Chevy 3500. With the slide there is plenty of room for the wife and I. We love it. Storage is an issue, but you just bring less stuff you probably wouldn't use anyway. We also tow our bass boat with it at times.
We too are in the planning stages for a TC setup. Still working on the specs for the truck/camper, but want a 4X4 CC, LB, SRW and a TC w/ slide. Really want one that sleeps 5-6 and a dry bath. Your set up sounds ideal, but wanted to know what you've done for suspension improvements, airbags, shocks, swaybar? Is yours a DRW or SRW
Thanks, lots to consider before plunking down some serious bucks!

CAJW is offline   Reply With Quote