Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #15

Thanks for the advice Harold. I got the camper weight rating on a sticker in the glove box. mabe it is missleading like the ford so I will look into that. I'll be heading to the scales soon and putting in a little more reserch into different options.

Ryan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harald:

I'm curious where you got your camper weight rating? Does Chevy supply a camper loading sheet with new trucks? I know that the Ford version is a little misleading in that they assume that there's a 150 lb person sitting in each seating position to come up with their rating. If you are only carrying 2 people in your 6 person capacity cab, then you can legally add 600 lbs to your rating(4 x 150).

Your biggest worry should making sure you don't overload your rear tires because that's where all your weight is going. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GM puts a sticker in the Glove box giving a slide in camper weight rating. For example on my dually it is 3165 pounds. GM also figures each seat to have 150 pounds in it. I have put my truck on a scale full of fuel. If I subtract the weight of the truck from the GVWR and then subtract the 750 pounds of people GM thinks will be in my truck I come with in Ten pounds of their camper weight. It will only be me and the wife in the truck so I can safely add 400 to 450 to the camper weight rating if I want to.

GM also gives you a location they want the camper center of gravity to be on your truck. That makes finding the right camper even harder.

I have also found I will have a hard time finding a 10 foot or smaller TC with a center of gravity far enough back for my Dually. The Centor of Gravity for my truck is to be at 39 inches from the rear of the bed. Most 10 foot campers have it at 48 to 52 inches. The Lance 1181 has it at 39 inches, but it is 4000 pounds dry, with no options.

Rear tires are no concerne for me. The 4 E load range tires added together are more than the rear axle is rated for, the two on the front are rated for more than that axle.

I have had corrispondence with Lance, Okanagan, Eagle Cap and Apenlite on their campers, and weights. The dry weight is for a base camper with no options. The sticker on them that gives the wet weight is for the base camper with water and propane only, not options or batteries or such.

Every dealer told me the wet weight sticker on the unit was for the camper as equiped with full fresh water and propane. I beleived them until I was on a lot that had 6 of the same floor plan TC's. All 6 had the same wet weight, yet one was a base unit, no generator, TV or anything extra. The other had a generator, up sized fride, inverter, solar power, two six volt batteries, TV, DVD, Satilite and such.

I have pretty much figured out if I get a TC that will keep me under GVWR I will end up overloading my front axle as the Center of Graivty is to far forward. If I get a TC with the center of gravity near where GM wants it I will go over my GVWR but should be able to stay under the front and rear axle ratings.

[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:12 AM   #17

Dave, I suggest that you consider air springs on the rear springs. While they will not improve your GVWR, they will improve the ride because you will be able to level your unit once the camper is on your truck. Before we added air springs (Firestone brand), the truck/TC had a significant sag owing to the weight of the camper. With the air springs we leveled the unit and the ride really improved. Also, a few months later we added rancho (with the adj feature) which improved ride and stability even better.

On camper weight, we have the Bigfoot 3000; with all the options, water in tanks etc, the weight increased by over 1000 lbs.

Hemi
Old 01-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #18

Just one note on center of gravity. Not all manufactures measure it the same way. Be sure to ask the camper manufacture it the measures from the front of the camper or the back. And check your truck to see if they measure from the front or the rear of the bed. You may have to do the math not just compare the numbers if they are measured from oppsite ends.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #19

Actually Brakes can be upgraded along with everything else you might want to improve. Larger, slotted drilled discs, with improved pads and dual actuators can be installed if brakes are a concern. I have a 4000 lb camper pulling a 27' searay 10000 lb boat and trailer. 265,000 miles on the truck, Been from illinois to arizona, mexico and california. All driven without a breakdown. Proper maint and preparation, I believe make trips worry free.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don and Sarah:
Just one note on center of gravity. Not all manufactures measure it the same way. Be sure to ask the camper manufacture it the measures from the front of the camper or the back. And check your truck to see if they measure from the front or the rear of the bed. You may have to do the math not just compare the numbers if they are measured from oppsite ends. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is very true, good of you to point that out as many people will never realize that.

Lance measures from the rear of the bed. Okanagan and Eagle Cap measure from the front of the bed.

My truck gives the location for Center of Gravity from the rear of the bed.

If you know where the manufacture measures from you can do the math to figure out where it is on your bed.

What they do not give you is a generator in the rear will move the center of gravity towards the rear. Again I have found their center of gravity is for base units, not optioned out units.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #21

FWIW here is what I did for about 7 years. I bought a brand new (back in '99) F-350 Single rear wheel. At the time I had an old 9.5 slide in. About year later I bought a Lance 1030(10'11") and I added a Reese titan V receiver and extension to the truck to tow my boat (5500# with 550# on the tounge). When I loaded the camper it was HEAVY. I scaled the truck and camper loaded except no water. I came in at 10900. Gross was 9900. Add the boat to that and I went even higher. I added some Firestone Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000's and stayed with E rated tires aired up to 80-90 psi and kept the speed to 65-70 on the highway.

I felt safe, sure a dually or F-550 would have been much better, but I made due.

I only had one problem, a firestone tread seperation on the rear. No big thing other than getting to the spare with the camper on the truck.

I recently moved up to a 35' trailer for more space and thought I would sacrifice a little weight, but I ended up buying an ATV rack to haul my two large 4x4 machines. With that rack, firewood, generator and the trailer loaded up I now hit the scales at just over 18000 with only 7500 of that on the trailer axles.

Bottom line...I am overweight, but not concerned. I don't exceed any of my axle (although very very close on the rear)or tire ratings, just my GVWR for the truck.

I wouldn't think twice about getting a large camper on a dually. Especially when you consider if you bought a 2 wheel drive, regular cab, small gas engine you would probably save enough weight to get that certification sticker to give you the number you want. Big truck & big motor needs big toys to go with it.

Just my humble opinion.

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I'm trying to sell my Lance 1130 and the thing that keeps folks from buying it is the weight!

3780 DRY!!!!!!

Chet
Old 06-15-2007, 02:52 AM   #23

I plan on pulling a small car on Tow Dolly.Will I be putting a lot of tounge weight on truck..Seems to me that most of weight will be on Dolly axle.

Thanks,