Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #15

Have you ever looked at Torklift hitches? I have a Torklift Superhitch on my Dodge 3500 and with the hitch I have the 36" supertruss extension. I tow a 24 foot Baja cuddy or a car trailer with a jeep and a ton of extras on it. I have never had a problem with stability or wandering. Check out Torklift.com.
Give them a call and tell them what you want to carry and haul and they will get you set up. Very nice people to deal with. By the way, my camper is 11 1/2 feet.

Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Rick,

I have looked at the Torquelift system, and it looks very rugged.

I use to sell and install Pullrite hitches, back when they were introduced in the 80's, and that's a good product also, however of some installs there is no room to mount the spare tire.

What brand of camper do you haul?

We are still unsure what we want to do. My first choice would be to buy a late 80's to early 90's Airstream TT, 24 to 26 feet. The problem with a TT is having to have two tow vehicles and two drivers. Hence the idea of the TC.

I also thought about a 28 foot enclosed 5th wheel type race car trailer. It could be ordered with 10K axles, a heavy frame, and hitch. It could replace the trailer that I haul my classic Trans Am to the shows in. It could be ordered with insulation, heat and AC, and a gen set. I could install a bedroom, small bathroom and a basic galley and still have the 18 feet necessary for the car. I could tow the boat behind the 5th wheel.

Then we get into the issue of the double/triple tow and the various laws in different states. Plus 5K of boat, and 9K of trailer and car would be a load for an F-350 to tow, so fuel economy would be poor.

Thanks for the Tip,
Charles

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #17

I have a 1992 Fleetwood 11XX camper.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsprayjr View Post
Hi Rick,

I have looked at the Torquelift system, and it looks very rugged.

I use to sell and install Pullrite hitches, back when they were introduced in the 80's, and that's a good product also, however of some installs there is no room to mount the spare tire.

What brand of camper do you haul?

We are still unsure what we want to do. My first choice would be to buy a late 80's to early 90's Airstream TT, 24 to 26 feet. The problem with a TT is having to have two tow vehicles and two drivers. Hence the idea of the TC.

I also thought about a 28 foot enclosed 5th wheel type race car trailer. It could be ordered with 10K axles, a heavy frame, and hitch. It could replace the trailer that I haul my classic Trans Am to the shows in. It could be ordered with insulation, heat and AC, and a gen set. I could install a bedroom, small bathroom and a basic galley and still have the 18 feet necessary for the car. I could tow the boat behind the 5th wheel.

Then we get into the issue of the double/triple tow and the various laws in different states. Plus 5K of boat, and 9K of trailer and car would be a load for an F-350 to tow, so fuel economy would be poor.

Thanks for the Tip,
Charles
Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club