Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Do Dually trucks fit under ALL 8ft. + Campers?

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post in the Truck Camper section and would appreciate some advice on hauling a camper with a dually truck.

I have just purchased a 1989 GMC extended Cab Dually 4x4 for pulling my newly acquired 34ft 5th wheel but also want a used 9 to 11 foot used truck camper to enjoy short trips and areas where the 5th will not go.
I have not owned a Truck Camper in 25 years and have never owned a dually.

My questions:

1) Will the wide fenders of a dually clear the jacks on the above mentioned campers? Do you need special length belly bars to clear these wide fenders?
2) Some of these Campers I see have a cradle type jack system installed.
In the pictures it seems that you back over the support bars to get underneath the camper. Do these bars act as belly bars? and what modifications do you have to make,if any to the underside of your truck?

These cradles do not seem wide enough to back into with a Dually truck.

Do I need to look for a specific camper to fit a Dually or make modifications? or am I just seeing it wrong and there is no problem backing under any camper with this truck?
I have not yet gone out to physically look at Campers or measure them yet. all my recent research has been on Craigslist and kijiji.

Thank You everyone. Brian. Mission BC.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

What you need are dually specific jack extensions.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Any camper will fit as long as it is equipped with swing out jacks on the front of the camper to allow the duals to clear when loading and off-loading. Most belly bars are adjustable and as well the rear ones will not line up over the dual fender flare so clearance with tiedowns should not be an issue.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
CD

Go to an RV dealer/supplier and they should have the hinges mentioned above. You just remove the front jacks and install the hinges and install the jacks to the hinges.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #5

on the jacks you need to space out the jacks from the mounts. if you have a 3 jack system you need to space out 2 jacks , i rear ont one side and the other side just space out the single jack . 4 to 6 inches just use some 3x6 steel tubing is what I used when I made mine . if a 4 jack systen just widen the rear jacks the same way . Tim
Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim brown View Post
on the jacks you need to space out the jacks from the mounts. if you have a 3 jack system you need to space out 2 jacks , i rear ont one side and the other side just space out the single jack . 4 to 6 inches just use some 3x6 steel tubing is what I used when I made mine . if a 4 jack systen just widen the rear jacks the same way . Tim
Unless you have a flat bed truck, you don't need to extent the rear jacks. If you don't use the hinge type on the front you will be close to 9' wide.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

Yes, you need them on the front of the camper. Don't need extensions on the rear. Be careful about your GVWR. I have had a dually crew cab for 20 years. It has a 11ft 6inch camper. The center of gravity of the camper gets moved back 2ft for a super cab and 4 ft for a crew cab. That makes a huge difference in the amount of weight carried on the rear wheels. Campers are also very heavy and can easily put you over your axle weight rating or your GVWR rating. If you go this way, you are going to need air bags on the rear to keep the rear end from dragging low. Forget about helper springs and other helpers...been there and done that. If you decide to tow the big trailer and haul the camper at the same time, I'm pretty sure you will test the limits of your truck, so be careful with your choice of camper. Get one that doesn't hang over the end of the truck more than a foot. It will keep the weight down and allow you to use the truck receiver hitch without jumping through hoops with extensions, etc, etc. Done that, too. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
"All" campers cannot be easily loaded onto a dually. Even with swing out brackets on the front jacks. There are many "Lite" version campers that are only 84" wide, or even less. Even with the widest swing out brackets these won't work on a dually without adding width to the front corner brackets.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

I have a 2000 Lance with swing out jacks and had a 1995 Ford 1 ton. The camper loaded and fit good. I traded the 95 ford for a 03 ford and the camper has a little tighter fit. The width of the wheel wells and bed as well as the height of the cab, you have to be a little more carefull. With the 95 it was no problem loading on level or unlevel surface. With the 03 it needs to be more level and you better watch the top of the cab. The inner sides of the bed on the 03 show many scratches. I would like to have some type of thin plastic slide material to fit on the bed's back verticle inside corner post that would slide easily on the camper.