Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #15

Dry bath makes this nearly unattainable. I agree the Bigfoots are nice rigs and some of the 2008 or earlier 3000 series with a slide could fit the bill.

You may want to consider doing a mod to a dinette model and removing it and putting a sofa in its place. There are a number of models that would fit that concept. For the highest quality I personally think the following list is about it.

Bigfoot
Northern lite
Host
Eagle Cap
Arctic Fox

One additional problem, is the newer the design, the heavier and more complex they get and multiple slides are becoming more common, but as you are aware, many of these great floor plans cannot be accessed with slides in.

I still think the Host Mckinley is you best bet, and forget the dry bath, it is a waste of space in such a small rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Wow - "elitists"?!?!?!
The OP has a long list of must haves. By his own admission he is having a hard time finding something that meets all of them. Someone chimes in to support that it may be challenging and is tagged elitist.
Seems inappropriate.

Apologies. I reread the post and my reply and it was a bit harsh. I presume the OP was looking for suggestions, not "You can't do it". The OP will be able to meet some of their requirements but not all.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #17

Thanks Garbonz,

Is your recommended list in order of highest to lowest, or do you just think all of these manufacturers make a good product?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaryq View Post
Thanks Garbonz,

Is your recommended list in order of highest to lowest, or do you just think all of these manufacturers make a good product?
All of these manufacturers make good products, and probably should add Lance to the list, but they are kinda cookie cutter and high volume rigs so I didn't.

Newer Mfg, like Camplite and Outfitter are pretty good to, probably, and are pretty light, but don't really have the kind of layout you are looking for.

The Host Yukon is another possibility with a dry bath, if you are willing to do a little modification and replace the dinette with a sofa. I really don't think that is a very big job and REALLY expand the offering that you have available. I talked to the Pres of Host at the Denver RV show last year and was impressed by the company and their construction, especially the slides. They do custom work, I hear, and maybe they would convert a dinette model to a sofa for you. Just a thought. Don't come cheap tho, but some of the 5-10 year old units are not TOOO pricey.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #19

The only slide in I have ever seen that somewhat matches your requirements I once owned.
It was a late 70's Conestoga 9'. Large dinette , sofa , queen cab over berth , no bath.
Never seen another one like it.
Sure loved that camper. For a wood frames unit it was well built and roomy.
Fairly light , if I remember right it was under 1300lbs dry.
As all old campers do , it became to much of a maintenance hog for me so it was sold to a nice young family that still uses it to this day.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Wow - "elitists"?!?!?!
The OP has a long list of must haves. By his own admission he is having a hard time finding something that meets all of them. Someone chimes in to support that it may be challenging and is tagged elitist.
Seems inappropriate.
I agree and I dint read another post. Brain lock by some I guess. By the way I also own a slide in camper.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #21

Don't get me wrong, I love TCs and we have had them since the late 70s, but I'm thinking waXyxm may have a point in that it will be difficult if not impossible to find all the OP wants without going to a bigger rig, i.e. a MH. We've been happy for 23 years by just adding a gen and AC to our 11.5 Caribou over the previous 11.5 Security. I'm thinking the perfect camper may not be out there without making some compromises, but there's nothing wrong with looking.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #22

Check out this thread, New member Astoria OR perhaps that would work?

Steve
Old 01-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #23

Well, we looked at a lot of truck campers and came to the realization that we could live without the sofa seating (we aren't full-timers). We really like the Northern Lite construction quality and simplicity (no slides)...and recently ordered a new Northern Lite 10' 2" dry bath. We're excited to say the least...should take delivery at the end of February. Thanks to all for helpful comments...
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #24

Good luck. and happy trails.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #25

As mentioned, Host has the largest, nicest and most expensive units I've personally seen. Triple slide, gas fireplace with TV on top in the middle of the unit with other amenities surrounding - couch, swivel chair, kitchen, and bed. Really nice self contained unit. Also washer and dryer.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #26

We picked up our new Northern Lite dry bath model a few weeks ago, and so far -- so good. Out right now on our initial trip (5 days)...other than sleeping in the driveway a few times. We're impressed with the finish quality and functionality. Our punch list is really short -- just can't get the battery disconnect switch to shut off the 12 volt to the unit. Tried many things including unplugging TC from truck, unplugging shore power cable from gen set, attempted at night to exclude solar panel -- will likely have dealer take a look.

Keith
Old 04-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaryq View Post
We picked up our new Northern Lite dry bath model a few weeks ago, and so far -- so good. Out right now on our initial trip (5 days)...other than sleeping in the driveway a few times. We're impressed with the finish quality and functionality. Our punch list is really short -- just can't get the battery disconnect switch to shut off the 12 volt to the unit. Tried many things including unplugging TC from truck, unplugging shore power cable from gen set, attempted at night to exclude solar panel -- will likely have dealer take a look.

Keith
Nice unit! I'm currently looking at a Bigfoot which I believe to be the same ownership group and construction method. Congrats!