Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2002, 10:08 AM   #29

While on this biological subject and after reading info from;
http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.htm .

Phrannie recommended instead of using chemicals in the black tank, set it up as an operational septic tank system by using bacteria as used in home septic systems to break down waste and control odor. I assume this would apply to only those using their rig for long periods of time and not to the weekender.

Phrannie describes the set up and maintenance of such a system. This would seem to be a preferable method as it would avoid the use of all the various chemicals that are now used to "pickle poop" and then dumping into waste systems. I would guess that if you dumped these pooped out chemicals into a biologically active septic system that it might actually kill the system.

Has anyone used or know of anyone using the biological septic method for their black tank?

Carl&Jan We are not camping! This is how we live 99 Hallmark Slide-in popup. 00 F350,PSD,4x4,Crew. 01 Arctic Fox 27F TT.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2002, 10:44 AM   #30

Here is a page on Marine Toilets...way more than you probably want to know about Sewage.Near the end of article they speak of the Bacteria in sewage,why it stinks,why it doesn't.Oh well..too cold to work outside.

I have been using the stuff from CW..Odorless,I think it is called.It is bacteria..works OK.
But I am going to try the Crestline product
www.rvchem.com
Fuzz

2003 36'Travel Supreme 5er36RLQSO
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 06:10 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would guess that if you dumped these pooped out chemicals into a biologically active septic system that it might actually kill the system.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly what happens. This causes excessive cost to maintain a septic system and is the reason so many dump station owners are beginning to charge for the use of the facility. I am ging to use the rvchem.com product this next season also. I'll let you all know how it goes.
RVinMeMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:09 AM   #32

Boondocker,
Did you get your pump?Wondering how you are going to hook it up.Portable or permanent.Also how you hooked up or will hook up the hose to outlet.
I really would like to improve on my setup.
Thanks
Fuzz

Y2K Dodge 3500,4x4,Cummins,6spd,3.54RearEnd
275Injectors.Edge EZ
King Of The Road Royalite 29ft
Travel with Crystal a BlueMerle Shelty.

Old 01-28-2002, 12:43 PM   #33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuzz:
Boondocker,
Did you get your pump?Wondering how you are going to hook it up.Portable or permanent.Also how you hooked up or will hook up the hose to outlet.
I really would like to improve on my setup.
Thanks
Fuzz
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Fuzz, I just got the pump and will use it as a portable for now. It looks to be just what i wanted. To try it out, I will run a short piece (2-3ft) of 3" sewer hose from the tank outlet to the pump inlet. The 3" sewer hose will slip onto the macerator pump inlet. I'll secure it to the pump with a hose clamp. I guess the pump will just lay on the ground or maybe I'll mount it to a board. The macerator outlet is 1" as you know.
I just read that you can use a "water thief" as an adapter clamped to the pumps outlet 1" barb then connect to a garden hose. However, the directions say don't go smaller than 1" . So not sure about this yet. It would be nice (and a lot cleaner) to install it permanetly. Wish me luck!

Carl&Jan We are not camping! This is how we live 99 Hallmark Slide-in popup. 00 F350,PSD,4x4,Crew. 01 Arctic Fox 27F TT.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:55 PM   #34
Boz

Boondocker -

If your macerator pump is anything like the ones I've installed on boats, you'd better mount that sucker (no pun intended ) on a board, and if you use a "water thief" as described on the discharge side, do yourself a favor and fasten it tightly with hose clamps. Otherwise, when you turn that thing on, you're gonna see the torque of that motor send the macerator into wild gyrations, and you'll have you-know-what all over the place if the discharge hose pops off from the pressure!

Ed

'98 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab SLT Long Bed, 4x2, Cummins Diesel, A/T, 4.10 rear, Air Lifts
'00 Damon Challenger 33MLB Fifth Wheel

God Bless and Protect the Armed Forces of the U.S. and our Allies.

Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 03:19 PM   #35

Boondocker,That's how mine is now,but I do have it on a 2x6 board along with a heavy duty switch.
I used #8 wire and put battery clamps on the ends to reach the batteries.
Boz is right that little bugger has some torque.
On the outlet,I purchased a hunk of 1" hose,like
heater hose,it works but to heavy,expensive and hard to store.So I will probably try the water thief idea.But as Boz stated,whew,what mess if it came off.
Northern Tool(Hydraulics)has some 1"discharge hose made for pumps.Would like to see it.Might work.
I somehow have it in my head that some of the pumps are available with a hose bib on the outlet.
Wonder if could just buy the endpiece with that on it.

Old 01-28-2002, 04:49 PM   #36

I have a marine style macerator pump mounted to a 2x6 and have a switch hooked to a starter relay since the pump draws so much current.

I found the garden hose and 1 inch hose really caused the motor on the pump to generate excessive heat so I use a sum p pump outlet hose (purchased at Lowes @ less than $5). This hose is about 1.25 inch and does not restrict the flow. This hose comes in 50 ft lengths and can be connected to reach any length. (don't buy this hose by the ft. its expensive)

I plan to mount the pump permanently using the diagram from phred, as soon as I have the time.

a

Give me a sense of humor, Lord... Give me the grace to see a joke... To get some humor out of life... And pass it on to other folk." --Anonymous
Old 01-28-2002, 06:43 PM   #37

Thanks "IS".
Guess I need to look at the hose at Lowes or someplace like that.
It would be better mounted permanently.Maybe get around to that someday.I assume the Marine ones have a hose BIB on the outlet.I haven't used a
relay maybe just lucky.I have the highest rated Cole Hersee switch I could find.20A I think.So far so good.

Old 01-29-2002, 07:39 AM   #38

No the marine pump don't have a hose connection. Its a 1 inch outlet. The only difference is the inlet, which is 1.5 inch.

I went farther than most on this setup. I used a oneway valve on the outlet to keep the stuff from back flowing and my electrical connection is mounted in the battery compartment (which is over my waste valves). I just plug it in, flip the switch, and away it goes.

I've posted pictures at:

http://homepage.mac.com/josntme/PhotoAlbum8.html

Any questions let me know.h

Give me a sense of humor, Lord... Give me the grace to see a joke... To get some humor out of life... And pass it on to other folk." --Anonymous
Old 01-29-2002, 09:00 AM   #39

Thanks for the pics.That sure gave some good ideas.I was locked into clamping outlet hose on with a hose clamp.Don't know why I didn't think about some pvc and a union.Thanks again
Fuzz

275Injectors.Edge EZ

Old 01-30-2002, 09:08 AM   #40

Getting a lot of good info on maceratores. Thanks. I think befor i fire my pump up i had better make sure it is secure! As for using a water thief to make the outlet connection to a garden hose, it is far to restrictive! It appears to throat down to about 3/8". So forget that.

IS is sure providing some good pictures Thanks IS. I went to a plumbing shop and got about 8" of 1" ID hose. Then plumbed that down to a 5/8" male garden hose connector. But now that i see what IS used, that looks much better. We'll get this mud slinger working yet

Old 02-04-2002, 07:19 AM   #41

IS,
I've had this darn thing for long time and really never utilized it.(Mascerator).
I started hunting down some fittings to do as you have.My question is what fitting to use for the 11/4"sump pump hose.Seems ID 1" is too small outside.
Also how do you terminate it at the outlet end?

Don't think I will try for a permanent mount as
everything is enclosed.(no guts,HA)
I do appreciate your help.
Fuzz

275Injectors.Edge EZ

[This message was edited by Fuzz on February 04, 2002 at 03:03 PM.]

Old 02-05-2002, 03:02 PM   #42

I'm away from home right now in Dallas and am flying to Mexico Thursday....I will give you the info you need next week when I return home
o

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...