Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

finding info on the franklin

i'm trying to find out how long franklin coach built truck campers..and how many models not having any luck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Many years ago I owned a 1971 Franklin TC. From the window configuration it was probably very similiar to the unit that you have. Franklin is a good coach. The TC's are heavy, but are made very well. Mine was decked with plywood under the roof, so that the roof was solid to walk on. It made the perfect camper for watching races. As for how many years Franklin made TC's I believe that it was 4 or 5, maybe 6 years at the most. Thick walls with good insulation. One piece bathroom with a good amount of space. The latest one that I have seen was a 72 or 73 model, adn that was in the 80's. Ours was filpped on its side in a hurricaine. We rolled it back upright, and used the jacks to get it high enough to load it on the truck. A few scratches and a slightly bent corner was the only damage we ever found. One tough old rig! Enjoy.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

thanks for the info..was thinking they must not have built the tc's very long i was suprised by the 1 1/2in thick walls mine has the plywood on the roof not sure i will walk on it though as i am a big guy at nearly 300lbs
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Unless your camper has some water damage, the roof will hold your weight. We had as many as 6 on top of ours at the same time. Your Dodge seems to be supporting the weight of your camper very well. When I first got my Franklin I tried to haul it on a 1972 Chevy C-20 Custom Camper Special truck. The truck was stout but the camper was way too heavy for my truck. We ended up getting a lighter camper, a 10 foot camper, and stored the Franklin for a couple of years before we bought a 1 ton dually.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

when i'm done it won't..i had to build a new frame work for it do to severe wood rot
Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
For a camper that old that has spent a lot of time out in the weather, one would expect some water damage. Go for it. It is time consuming, but straight-forward to remove the skin, repair the damaged structure and replace the original skin.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

i started to redo the inside and started finding damage so i started over with the framing.. it is mostly rotted away plus it was sitting on the ground for years so the ants got in and made it home ate up one whole corner