Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

First piece of the puzzle....

***First timer here*** Rookie, finally dipping my toes.Would love to hear everyone's feedback. I bought a truck strictly in mind for a truck camper. I don't plan on doing any towing or hauling (ever). Mountains / Hills and the West coast probably only 50%. There for I did not go diesel. I couldn't justify the extra money and costs. I got a really good deal on this left over 2018. And didn't want to push myself into the diesel. I know its a long debate. Let me hear it, the good the bad the ugly....

2018 GMC SIERRA Double cab 3500 DUALLY 6.0 GAS 4X4

I'm ballpark about a year out before purchasing my truck camper. Have really only checked out Lance in person. Really like the Lance 995. I hear and see alot about Lance and Artic Fox.

Anywho...Im really excited for the next chapter....Getting closer to being able to live that RV life (part-time) and make some moves !!!!
BIGDREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDREAMS View Post
***First timer here*** Rookie, finally dipping my toes.Would love to hear everyone's feedback. I bought a truck strictly in mind for a truck camper. I don't plan on doing any towing or hauling (ever). Mountains / Hills and the West coast probably only 50%. There for I did not go diesel. I couldn't justify the extra money and costs. I got a really good deal on this left over 2018. And didn't want to push myself into the diesel. I know its a long debate. Let me hear it, the good the bad the ugly....

I'm ballpark about a year out before purchasing my truck camper. Have really only checked out Lance in person. Really like the Lance 995. I hear and see alot about Lance and Artic Fox.

Anywho...Im really excited for the next chapter....Getting closer to being able to live that RV life (part-time) and make some moves !!!!
First, good decision to pass on diesel. Yes, they're awesome power but you'll never get enough fuel savings to recover the up front cost
Lance and AF are both good builders. I started out with a Lance 1121 and found out that we loved the travel convenience. Eventually we decided that climbing out of the bed was a PITA and not having chairs got old. We moved up to a 27 foot class A and love it.
It's a great place to start RVing.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #3

Truck Camper Magazine has a really good article on matching a truck camper to a truck.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/newbie-articles/
RBBRTRMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDREAMS View Post

Welcome to iRV2 BIGDREAMS glad you are here!

About your truck. . .

1.) Gas or Diesel?
Who buys a "recreational vehicle" to save money?
I never felt buying a boat, or ATV, or camper, etc.. was an effective way to bolster your savings so I think it's more a matter of personal choice.

2.) The 6.0L Vortec is a proven gasoline engine specifically designed to be used in a Class-3 truck. They can be a little "thirsty" (see #1 above) but I think you'll be very happy with it's performance as long as you stay within the truck's GCWR.

3.) Thank you for buying a proper truck for a truck-camper.
That dually will allow you to have a much wider selection of campers to choose from than any SRW truck will.
A dually will also handle the top-heavy sway of a slide-in camper much better than a SRW truck.

If time permits post a picture of your new truck. It's probably beautiful!
Regards,
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run an old gas F350 dually with a matching year TC. We can eek out 10.5 mpg if we try REALLY REALLY hard, but run around 9.5 most of the time.

Great choice for a truck...fill it up and go weigh it to get a baseline. I run 600lbs or so over GVWR, but am well under both axle ratings, Red handles it without issue with just stableloads and Bilsteins.

Make sure you have front and rear swaybars, they help ALOT!!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #6

Well....Here she is!!! What a beauty. Searched high and low for a left over double cab (rather than a full crew cab) saves a little length and a little weight. But boy is it tough to come across a GAS and a DUALLY that is not a work truck trim package. It is already camper / 5th wheel prepped. Has the bed mounted 7 pin connector and sway bars.

ps. new to the forums clearly- and i find it amazing how many views, yet only 4 comments. I'm sure alot of those viewers could have some insight for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCK.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	218710   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUCK2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	218711  

Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

Nice truck!!! I have been starting to look at replacing my old truck. Do you mind sharing the door sticker GVWR and GVCWR. I'm interested in what kind of payload and 5th wheel towing capacity the newer gas trucks have.
ChallengerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #8

No problem at all. In fact I'm sure I will be educated by some comments and others.

Things to keep in mind, this is a double cab. They no longer offer it in 2019+ for a 3500 dually. Now they only have full crew cab or regular 2 dr cab.

From my research on GM and thru dealer. I cannot get exact answers, so I am excited to get this puppy weighed.

This is copied from the dealer website listing ..." It has a maximum conventional trailering capacity of 20,000 pounds, maximum fifth-wheel/gooseneck rating of 23,300 pounds and a maximum payload of 7,153 pounds.".....hmmmmm?

However, everything I find on GM websites, says that maximum payload is for the regular 2 dr cab. Hard to find info on this Double Cab.

Let's here the feedback!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door stick.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	218726  
Old 09-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

13K GVWR nice. It will be interesting to see how much it weighs but I bet it will be between 7 and 8K so that gives a nice payload payload that should more then handle most any camper on the market.
ChallengerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

Nobody with a brain buys a diesel to save money or fuel...it's purely about needing power and it's worth 10 times the extra money in that scenario. I had a Lance I bought new in 1993...loved it and went everywhere. Nice you can "drop it off" and have the truck to run around. If you only get one option...make it electric jack stands. I had the crankers...lots of work!! Nothing better than sitting on the stool, making a sandwich while you do the dishes. Small but fun!! I've been through several "campers" since but still see a need for the fun of the truck camper every now and then.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #11

Lack of responses are probably a couple of things: pickup campers aren't particularly popular in the east coast so not nearly as many people have experience with them, and two, you're on the right track so most people read the postings and move on.
No news is good news.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #12

Well..... Get me back to the west coast !!!!! Still a year out and dreaming... I have definitely got those vibes and realized that spending time down here in south Florida... Can't even window shop
Old 09-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice truck, and I've looked around for a gasser late model dually...they are VERY hard to come by. As I said next step is to see what it sits at...then get a TC!!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

weights for 1 ton daully

I have a 2007 3500 GMC sierra crew cab diesel/auto dually 8 ft box and the door sticker was swabbed to remove it's GVWR soooo I contacted GM and gave them the serial # and got back a # of 11411.113 lbs which left me wondering why I got this truck. We towed a 5th wheel with it with no problem and when we turned to T/Camping we were really restricted to weight on the over all unit. I have weighed the truck loaded with camper and ass. weight and come very close to MAX. The truck handles well with about 45 lbs in the air bags and still rides level and the braking, with the speed brake engaged , works exceptional. I'm guessing that this is what is needed to travel safely. NOW when I attach the enclosed trailer, do I used the load leveling attachments to try to transfer the weight to the front axle? We all have different gremlins to deal with.
Jade Racing is offline   Reply With Quote