Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #1

My 2000 PS Diesel with 38,000 miles died with no warnings! Like someone turned the key off while I was driving on the highway...
Just got it out of the shop with a failed camshaft posistioning sensor CPS.
Come to find out its a fairly common problem and several owners are carring an extra sensor in the glove box...Any of you have this problem yet? Care to tell about it? I'm thinking of carrying an extra too now.

Bruce

http://irv2review.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=95
ArcticFox 860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #2

My 2000 PS Diesel with 38,000 miles died with no warnings! Like someone turned the key off while I was driving on the highway...
Just got it out of the shop with a failed camshaft posistioning sensor CPS.
Come to find out its a fairly common problem and several owners are carring an extra sensor in the glove box...Any of you have this problem yet? Care to tell about it? I'm thinking of carrying an extra too now.

Bruce

Old 03-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For the insight on this engine look at The Diesel Stop.

Do not buy them from Ford...a major rip off and Ford charges way too much to diagonis and repair. It is a 20 minute job which includes getting out the tooks and putting them up. You can usually pick up a nes CPS on E-Bay for about $85.00. International truck dealers sell them fro about $120.00.

They ususally do not just out right die, but will start by the engine stopping at an idle or right after starting, but will crank right back up. It gets to be more often as the problem worsens.

My 1997 had the CPS start acting up about 80,000 miles.

Ken
Old 03-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #4

The CPS in my 2001 F350 went out last year while I was driving to work. My truck is a crew cab dually and I worked downtown at the time (big truck, small streets, crazed rush hour drivers.) You can imagine my stress levels as the truck started to act up under those conditions.

Luckily I was able to hop a curb and get the truck out of the way. Eventually it started up again and I got to work. I ended up changing the CPS in my employers parking garage. It wasn't difficult at all.

Carrying a spare CPS and a 10mm wrench is wise.

Westhaver Associates, Inc.
WesWesthaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #5

I have also heard that this is a common problem but haven't had any trouble yet on my 2000. had a 99 before this with no problem. Scotty.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:11 AM   #6

Bruce, this happened to our 99 PSD with only about 1000 miles on the unit...in other words after a few months of driving. Cruising on I95 in Central FL...just shut down...no warning.

After I opened the hood I could see some oil near the bottom of the engine. The cam sensor unit gave way...I believe the engine shut down because it sensed loss of oil or oil pressure.

A local Ford dealer fixed it. Truck now has ~60,000 miles on it; the problem never occurred again...but I must say that I do think about this problem creeping up again.

Others...thanks for the tip to buy a spare; I will find one.

IVER
Old 03-09-2005, 04:33 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
This does seem to be a common problem with no rhyme or reason as to when or why it fails. Carrying a spare is a good idea. It beats a big towing bill and what the dealer will charge to fix it.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #8

It is a good idea to also carry a glowplug relay. It can cuase the truck to not start.It is not difficult to change. It is near the fuel filter.

2002 SD F350 PSD CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.10 LS, NORTHSTAR 10.5 LX slide-in camper. Michelin LT235/85R16 LTX, Rancho 9000, Ride Rite air bags, pillar gauges, SCMT 60 HP
Ron in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #9

My CPS when out about a month ago at 70,000 miles on my 2001. Made it to the dealer to have it fixed.

I think I replaced 2 on my 1996.
'96 Lance 500, '01 F-350 Powerstroke SC 4X4 SRW, Rancho 9000's, Air Lift Air Springs, Titan Hitch w/24" extension, Happijac Tie-downs, Line-X Bed Liner, 18' Bumble Bee / 150 ProV Yamaha, 16' Aluminum / 35 Honda
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #10

Fortuneatly, my rig is still under warranty so I was only out the deductable this time. Dealer ran their tests and came up with code P0340 in the memory which is "CMP Sensor Circuit Failure". Ford calls the part a Synchronizer sensor Assembly. It runs just fine now.
Just ordered a spare to carry in my glove box, or as some call it their "CPS Box" Got it from Powerstrokeshop.com for $79.00 plus shipping, should be here in a week or so.
Glove box is filling up fast...CPS unit, Glowplug relay, Fuel filter, tools,...bottle of Extra Strenght Aspirin !! lol

Happy Camping, Bruce

Old 03-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I was very fortunate when my CPS died. It happened just as I entered the exit lane. There was a large diesel garage right at the exit and I literally coasted in. As I recall, it ended up being about a $200.00 adventure. The CPS itself was about $100.00.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:12 AM   #12

I own a 2001 PSD and i would sure like to see some pics that show what and where the CPS goes.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a picture, but facing the front of the truck, the CPS is located close to the crankshaft pulley at about the 7 o'clock position. You can easily see it if you crawl under the front on the right side of the truck. You will see a two wire lead with a plug near that are, so folow it up toward the 7 o'clock position. The CPS is held in with one bolt and clip. There is a plug about 6" from the CPS.

I believe there are some pictures of this over on The Diesel Stop.

It is about a 15 minute job to change it.

Ken

Ken
Old 03-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #14

Here is another photo,

http://www.forgotton.net/mods/cpsframe.html

or try looking up CPS Failure in your search engine.

I ordered my extra one from thepowerstrokeshop.com

Bruce