Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Full timing in a truck camper

Very many of you full time in a truck camper? We are thinking of going this route with a 24 foot enclosed trailer to haul our two Harleys and various other assorted items.

smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Go for it, life is short.

Joe Myers (Retired) GOD Bless Our Troops.
2000 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW 4x4 6 Spd Man. 3.54
2003 Lance 1121 1999 Taco 4x4 Toad V6 5 Spd
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Very many of you full time in a truck camper? We are thinking of going this route with a 24 foot enclosed trailer to haul our two Harleys and various other assorted items.
Hey, there's a lot of people full timing it in a cardboard box. If you can handle the small space (and I would hope that you would be in a warmer climate so that you can be outside a lot) then go for it.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
I tried ours but didn't last long. I couldn't spend more than about 3 days of rain inside. Just not enough floor space. We had a 21 toyhauler with an electric bed in the back. I think that's about the minimum for fulltime with toys.
If you don't want to get shot by the police, don't be a criminal!
Winnebago adventurer 37g, 96 tracker
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We full timed for a year in a 30 foot Class A and had to admit it was too small. We're now in a 38 foot. I honestly think two people in a truck camper in bad weather will be climbing the walls in no time.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

Full timing in a truck camper

It's all about perspective.
We met a fulltime couple in Maine with a 15 foot truck camper, and nuthin more. Going to town? Pack it up, but they were used to it and took it all in stride.
Storage space? Dang little, but what they did not have, they did not need! They were the epitome of "minimal".
They had been F/T for 10 years and enjoying the heck out of it all over the Continent.
Go! You can always change the travel venue. 😃
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
Just joined this forum. I am also thinking of full-timing in a truck camper. Just me and 2 dogs. Going to buy both truck and camper so can match them up. Also thinking of towing a small cargo trailer. Looking at some of the big truck campers needing one ton duallys. Any thoughts there as well?
Dee Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
smarty - You won't know until you try it - go for it.
Dee - I would start simple with just the truck camper. Add Trailers later if/when needed. Maybe look at a 3/4 ton truck with extended cab - don't buy the minimum size truck you need or you'll probably be trading it in soon (at a loss).
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
full timing in a truck camper

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
We are going to give it a whirl and see where it takes us!
smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
We met a couple in S. Texas full-timing in a pop-up camper, towed with a pickup hauling stuff in a camper-shell. They said they loved the lifestyle. IMO they better get along well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Full timing in any Rv means being able to spend extended time periods inside before cabin fever sets in. If you can do that you might be OK.

I don't think I could do it in our MH, let alone any of the campers we had.

My last camper was a 10' Arctic Fox with a full length slide out. It was great as long as we had stuff to do outside most of the day.

A rainy day at the race track here and there drove me up the wall.
Dick & Theresa
2007 HR Endeavor 36 PDQ
Lots of power to pull the toys I don't have time to use!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
We are going to give it a whirl and see where it takes us!
We once owned a powerstroke pickup with overload springs that carried an elkhorn camper that hung off the back by 4'. We towed a boat, and only used it as a camper for no more than a week at a time. It was fun while it lasted, which was about 2 years.

We now have a 33' class-A, and tried to full-time in it. That only lasted for just under a year.

I just asked the wife how we would do in your situation, and she simply smiled and said that I would probably be sleeping in that trailer of yours, so make sure it is comfy. Hopefully you folks are young, full of energy, and really, really, really enjoy the outdoors.

You did not mention if you already own the pickup and camper, so just consider what other options you could purchase with the same money. Whatever you folks decide, please keep us all informed! Sounds like a fun adventure no matter what you go with. And that is all that matters!

Bruce and Judy
Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
Vintage RV Owners Club
Make sure that you have the most HD truck you can find, as you will always haul more weight than you initially plan to. Dual rear wheels should be required by law. I blew a rear tire on a single wheel truck with a TC many years ago. It's a miracle that it did not turn over on its side... I had a flat with the dually a couple of weeks ago. We could feel it wobble, but it did not make the rig dangerous. We were able to slow down a little and exit safely.

We are just weekenders, and can't imagine living in our Lance 1010. It's just too tiny. We haul the 2500 lb camper on an F-350 Crew Cab Dually, 4x4, with a Powerstroke diesel.

You mentioned someone hauling a 24 foot trailer. When we tow our 24 foot Pace Shadow enclosed trailer hauling a Pontiac Trans AM show car we are loaded as heavy as I dare with this truck. We are using a Torq Lift Superhitch with the 36 inch extension to haul the trailer securely. Even so, it is a whole lot of weight to haul with a one ton truck.

Betty and CharlesS
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
I think the full-timing in a TC is a very individual thing, so it would depend upon he dynamics of you guys as a couple. I once knew a couple who full-timed for 15 years in a VW Westphalia Campmobile. They spent a lot of time visiting friends with showers, and warm campgrounds with showers as well.

On the vehicle/trailer, I carried a 3000 pound (dry) Lance and flat-towed my Suzuki Samurai with my '03 Ram Quad Cab Cummins dually 6spd manual. I have Torque Lift "Steady-Loads" and Firestone air bags (without them the truck bottomed badly), and it was acceptable, but I felt the camer was a bit much in some ways, though power and handling were fine.

I now have a BigFoot 9.5 truck camper (about 2000 pounds dry) on the same truck (up from 16mpg w/ the Lance and 2500 pound Zuk) and tow a 3200 pound single axle trailer with the same vehicle and it feels a lot more comfortable, though I still only average about 17.5 mpg or so even when I drive between 50 and 60mph. Since I have my bedroom reserved no matter where I am, I am not that concerned about forward speed.

If you can downsize your trailer, you could have an economical duo.

I mention this because unless you are prepared to use a much bigger (450/4500 truck) with more power or a lower geared differential, you might end up spending more more money on fuel than you want to, in which case you might consider a motor home as your tow vehicle instead, which would likely provide more comfortable living accommodations. I prefer to compromise w/ a 1-ton truck as it does double-duty w/ the camper off, but if you're full timing, a dedicated camper (motor home) would be OK. I've often thought of finding and restoring an old Airstream motor home and retrofitting a Cummins engine, or even an older 7.3 liter Powerstroke, also a superb engine) in it, but I digress.

Many folks w/ a TC towing a big trailer report only 10-12mpg or so. Beside, even w/ a dually, with a TC on the back, consideration of an enhanced hitch like a Hensley Arrow might be wise. I use my Hensley when towing more than my 3000# trailer with my TC as my standard WDH and friction anti-sway bar seems marginal.

And yes, wintering in the rainy Pacific Northwest (I lived there for a decade) in a truck camper might not be a great pick of venue. Being in a nice warm, sunny place would make full-timing in such a tight space more cheery.

Good luck w/ your plans.

bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote