Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:01 PM   #1
JS

What is the best way to hook up a portable generator to my camper? My 820 is generator ready but I did not purchase a genset to be "built-in". The generator I have just has two 110v outlets and a 220v outlet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
JS

What is the best way to hook up a portable generator to my camper? My 820 is generator ready but I did not purchase a genset to be "built-in". The generator I have just has two 110v outlets and a 220v outlet.

Old 01-16-2002, 06:24 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with slide-ins, so forgive my partial ignorance, but it would seem to me that you have a shore power cord that you plug in when camping. Just plug this into one of the 110 outlets on the genset.

Do NOT plug it into the 22 outlet, you'll fry a whole bunch of stuff in the camper!

If you don't have a power cord, then the second idea would be to plug a car battery charger on the genset, and hook the battery charger to the onboard battery of the camper.

What I think you are really wanting to know is how to use the microwave or AC when no ac power is available, in which case do what I first said.

<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font>,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 02:48 AM   #4

JS,

The only way to use a portable generator is to hookup your shore power cable to it while setting outside on the ground where it can get ventilation. Portable generators are not compatable to operating in a compartment. Not only will they overheat in the compartment, they give off deadly carbon monoxide gas and the exhaust must be properly vented away from the camper.

The '94 Lance 990 we previously owned was "Generator Ready". At the time, Lance was using an Onan MicroLite LP generator. I purchased one and it fit perfectly, all the predrilled mounting holes lined up, the intake and outlet ventilation holes were already there, the wiring was in place along with the propane line. All I had to do was mount the generator, purchase the flexible hose and connect it to the propane line, hookup the wiring, and install the exhaust system. It was easy to start from the vent hood controls, worked perfectly, and gave good service. The downside is that the built-in unit costs more than a portable unit and added about 135 lbs to the rear of the camper.

Bill

'01 Lance 1140 Camper, All the Goodies, TorkLift Tiedowns, Rancho 9000, Air Lift 5000, 2000 Dodge 3500, Cummins, 6 SPD., Q-Cab, PacBrake, Retired 8+ years
Old 01-22-2002, 05:30 AM   #5
JS

OK, that answered my question. I should have clarified and said "Besides plugging in the shore power cord." I won't put it in the compartment until I buy one that was made to go in there. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:36 AM   #6

I too would like to know where to plug in a Honda eu1000, as I don't want the eventual thief to see it plugged in the shore power plug. This Honda doesn't need air circulating around, it is encased in a soundproofing shell, i can put it in an exterior compartment, with a tailpipe extension to keep fumes away, but where to connect It?

Gipsy
Old 01-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #7

I think you are wrong about putting the EU1000i in a closed compartment but let us know how it turns out.
You could pull the shore power cord under the camper and feed it up into the gen compartment and plug it in or you could use an extention cord that would be a little smaller and route it from the gen around to the shore power compartment.

2000 Lance 1130
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:09 PM   #8

GIPSY, THE DOG, is right.If you are putting out 500 watts of electrical power you need to get ride of more than 500 watts of heat from the gen. set. If you enclose it, it will over heat and could result in a fire. Please do not do enclose a generator in an inclosed comparment. Jim

Silverado 2500HD Dmax/Allison
Lance 1999 1010

SnowRiver 2007, 10-2
sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 11:13 PM   #9

I understand your concerns, but of course I would see that the compartment would be vented by floor and side vents. My idea is to use the compartment that held the 2 gas cylinders. (I relocated larger ones in another part of the camper) (don't ask where)
even the strongest chain cannot prevent theft, because i learnt that thiefs simply smash the plastic handle...and my cat only scares small birds...
I thought of the roof too but can't picture myself going thru the escape hatch etc...
Old 01-28-2002, 09:15 PM   #10

GIPSY, Please don't tell me where you put the propane tanks, but I sure hope that they are outside of the camper shell. Jim

Silverado 2500HD Dmax/Allison
Lance 1999 1010

SnowRiver 2007, 10-2
sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:07 PM   #11

Ok, i'll say where they are, In fact it is the previous owner, a German off road champ, who made a sealed compartment in part of a large closet used to hang clothes. However, it is vented thru the bottom. The only drawback is the backbraking task of inserting the two large gas cylinders thru the inside closet door. I am thinking of having an exterior door cut out for that purpose.
The advantage is that I get twice the gas capacity, and i love to boondock.

Gipsy

Silverado&Bonair 10'5 slide-in
Old 01-30-2002, 04:39 AM   #12

We mainly use ours (honda eu1000) to power a schumacher 15 amp smart charger to keep the 12volt batts charged. I have hooked up to the shore power but find this ineffeciant as the fridge will switch automatically to ac and the the on board maganatek charger is ~5amp. I can see hooking to shore power if you have a larger genset to power AC, microwave etc. As far as theft we use a bike cable and heavy padlock hooked to the fiver bumper . Yes, this just keeps otherwise honest people honest. If we're in an uncomfortable situation I will tuck the little red suitcase in the truck box between charges (not an option with a slide in I realize).

Cheers,
Paul

97 Okanagan 22ft 5er
94 GMC SLE 1500ext. 5.7L
Paul, Tracy, and Faith
Clancy

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 03:16 AM   #13
Art

JS,
I ordered my Lance with the generator option. The generator's output is available inside the small door where the shore power cord is stored. There is a large three element receptical around which I have to coil my shore power cord. The cord is always left plugged into that receptical. When the generator is running, it supplies 110v through that outlet.

If your 820 is pre-wired for the generator, it seems that (maybe) that receptical is installed in your shore power cord storage area and the wires that are attached to that receptical must be available somewhere in the generator compartment. Those wires can be attached to your generator's 110v output and you will have power to your camper without even opening the shore power compartment.

Of course, the generator pre-wire option may not include that receptical. I don't know.

1999 Lance 1130
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 QuadCAB 6x6 5.9L gas
Old Town Camp 12 foot 35 lb. canoe
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 09:55 AM   #14

We have our Honda EU3000is generator mounted on a cargo carrier that is mounted in the rear trailer hitch receiver. I built a generator mount that allows the generator to be locked to the carrier and have a lock on the hitch. The generator isn't going anywhere. A homemade cover goes over the generator and also locks to the carrier when the generator is not in use. We plug our "shore power" cable into the generator with a "cheater cable" I made to allow a 30 amp connector to power the 50 amp cable. We can run all the appliances and A/C without a problem with this generator and it is super quiet.

G.L. Obenour
2000 Lance 920
2000 Ford F350 PSD XLT Crew Cab 4x2 LWB DRW 6-spd
24' Open Car Hauler "Fun On Board"

Grayden is offline   Reply With Quote