Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I had such good luck on "Beartooth Highway" I thought I would try another one. We understand that the limit for vehicles on the Going to the Sun Highway is 21 feet long. If that is the case, my truck which is 21.5 feet long plus the 4 feet long overhand in the rear for the TC may be too long. In your experience, how closely is the length monitored? Should I leave the TC at the campground?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I had such good luck on "Beartooth Highway" I thought I would try another one. We understand that the limit for vehicles on the Going to the Sun Highway is 21 feet long. If that is the case, my truck which is 21.5 feet long plus the 4 feet long overhand in the rear for the TC may be too long. In your experience, how closely is the length monitored? Should I leave the TC at the campground?

Old 08-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #3

When I was up there two years ago, as a passenger in a mini-van, it seemed very tight. There was also road re-construction in progress at that time that made some spots more difficult.

There is also a rather limited width restriction if I recall correctly.

This may be a case where going by the strict numbers is the best idea.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #4

The buses with the retractable tops and trained guides are well worth the price. You can see so much better and you will hear many interesting things as you travel across the Going to The Sun Highway. Parking is plentiful at the visitor's center near the east entrance.

robert_cannell@sbcglobal.net
Robert Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #5

Franknkaren,
Believe me, you do not want to take your rig over the Going to the Sun Hwy You have to hug the overhanging wall pretty close in a couple of places.
Ever wonder why they picked 21' as the limit? My wife's cousin worked there and he told us the limit was going to be 20', until someone thought to measure the length of the park services four door pickups they used - yep, 21'
Loren
Old 08-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Seen it done year before last, Extended Cab F-250 with a 10.5' Wilderness. Passed them going up the road from the south as they were going the opposite route.

In all honesty, you really don't want to bring it up that road, too many rock outcroppings from the south to North side.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #7

Park it in a campground and rent a car for the day or take the tour.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #8

Hi FranknKaren,

I too have a 21.5' vehicle, not including the 4' overhang... They take the overall length measurement, so both you and I are way over. No leeway allowed.

Wasn't aware I could have taken the Park bus tour. Next time we'll do that.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #9

FranknKaren

Michelle and I spent two weeks in Glaicer in 2003. We got there after the big fires were out and most of the West side was in a minimal status. We wound up going around the southern end of the park as our rid (2001 Dodge dually and Lance 1161) was too long for the GTTSR. Once we were at St Marys, we off loaded the camper at the St mary's campground and took the truck on the GTTSR from East to West. Thank goodness we were there after Labor Day. The road was narrow and would have been some issues had traffic been heavier. That time of year is low useage as most tourist are back in school and summer vacations are over. Park your rig and off load the camper and stay a while. It's a beautiful park with lots to do.

The last leg of our stay was returning from Waterton Peace Park on the Canadian side, and we hit a pretty significent snow fall. It went all the way through Browning, WY and into Two medicine. We stayed in the campground at Two Medicine and enjoyed about an 8-10 Snowfall over night. What a joy it was.

Hope you have/had a great trip!

BF