Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #43

Enjoy !!! Post a pix when you can...It's all about fun !!! Lynn

219RKS Idle Time 5th Wheel, Outfitter Apex-8 Truck Camper, 2012 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 gas e/w Air Lift Load Lifter 5000. We have visited all 50 states and all of the Canadian Provinces & seen all 5 of the Great Lakes since retiring in 1994.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #44

Camper69- Congradulations- you have made an informed choice. Good Luck

Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #45

Congratulations, I am not familure with either unit, we are new to TC'ing, but it is exciting to get a new camper. I hope that you have the best of times with it.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #46

camper69,

Congratulations, you could not have gone wrong with either brand. Post some photos.

Brad
'96 Lance 500, '01 F-350 Powerstroke SC 4X4 SRW, Rancho 9000's, Air Lift Air Springs, Titan Hitch w/24" extension, Happijac Tie-downs, Line-X Bed Liner, 18' Bumble Bee / 150 ProV Yamaha, 16' Aluminum / 35 Honda
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #47

I like the little sunlite pop up. They are lite and fine for the price ,, just go around and caulk everthing up good ,then take it to a body shop and have the top sprayed wwith rino coaating , Never leak , lol
Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #48

After picking up my Hallmark camper in April, I almost forgot about this forum. It was an interesting ride to Colorado from Illinois. I traded in my truck last year (94 F250 460cc, 3:55) for a 2006 F250 with a 5.4. My reasons for the smaller engine were based on the current specs on that engine versus what I had with the 460. Well, needless to say, I was a little disappointed when I first got the truck. I got a Superchip and re-programmed the engine. A very noticeable improvement to say the least. So I took off for Colorado. Everything was fine until I got to about North Platt Nebraska. I started noticing a lot of down shifting when I left the cruise on. By the time I got to the Denver area I felt like I was running on 4 cylinders. I figured it was the alititude but I figured I couldn't be the only one in Denver having power problems. I suspected the Superchip but of course I didn't have it with to de-program the engine. Needless to say, I had a hard time getting around until I finally got back to North Platt and down to a reasonable altitude. (More on the truck later.) They were waiting for me at Hallmark when I arrived. I'm glad I was a curious customer constantly going back to the shop because I was not happy with the way they were going to attach the camper. I wanted Tork Lifts and they had already installed them. What I didn't want however was a chain attachment on the front tie downs. That's what they were planning on doing. I stopped them before they installed them and told them I wanted the spring loaded rods. (I snapped a chain once on a previous camper.) They scratched their heads a lot but finally figured out a way to install the solid rods in the front. The clearance to the body of the truck is very tight so you really have to center the unit to get it right. But it worked fine and it looks great. The next problem involved my over load springs. There wasn't enough weight to engage the over loads so all the weight went on the mains. The solution to that came from Tork Lift when I got home. They sell large pads that replace the factory ones putting the over load springs very close to the stops. When the camper goes down, the over loads make contact very quickly. That solved that problem. The only other problem I had was solving the roof rack arrangement. I ended up with 6 foot Yakima tracks starting from the rear. I had no other option in placing the tracks since the AC goes right in the center of the roof. I later put a cargo rack to one side and a small covered roof carrier to the other. This solves all my 'where do I put this?' problems since there are no outside storage bins like I was use to on the Lance. It's a very nice arrangement with one major draw back however. You can only have limited weight on the back when raising the roof. No problem with the roof down or up, but raising it with that kind of weigh can cause major damage. The problem is all the torque from the motor raising the roof comes from a motor situated at the back of the queen over bed. That doesn't leave a lot of strength at the very end of the camper when the roof is being raised. As a matter of fact. Hallmark says no more than 20 pounds on the back when going up. That 20 pound allowance is about over with just considering the weight of my cargo rack and cargo box. So I have to take stuff down before raising it. That's a real pain if all you want to do is pull over and take a quick nap or must make the stop a quick sleep over in a rest area. I also kind of support it as it is going up, just to be safe. That's probably my only major complaint with the entire camper. There were a few minor flaws in the unit but nothing major. I had to re-center the table post for one. My only other big complaint has to do with the quality of the foam rubber for the dinnette. Very cheap. When you sit your butt hits the wood. I checked locally and to replace these cushions with quality foam is close to $400. So far I have I have elected to do nothing. Because of work and a very bad season of bugs, I have only had the unit out twice. I plan on going more in the fall and most importantly it will be all set and ready to go for next season. By then all the bugs will have been worked out of the truck and the camper. As far as the truck goes...I am happy I stayed with the 5.4 engine. I put an Airaid intake filter on and I replaced the muffler with a Gibson high performance exhaust. I may not have as much power as a diesel or a V10 but I can get from point A to point B without any difficulty. I am very satisfied with my choice in a Hallmark camper. While not as roomy as my previously owned Lance Lance it more than fits my needs for something mobile and certainly more agile. No way would I have considered the Lance a rig that easily could go to the store for milk. The truck feels very stable with the Hallmark on top and even my wife doesn't feel freaked out driving it. The composite roof by the way really is a giant plus. That unit is water tight when down. Rubber roofs always made me nervous. The metal roof on the Lance was a much better choice than rubber but certainly the composite roof is the major plus.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #49

Thanks for posting the update.

Interesting comment on the weight limit of the roof. That is something I think potential buyers would have liked to been made aware of BEFORE they laid down their money. Strange that hallmark doesn't mention it on their site.

I have a large roof pod right at the rear edge of my Apex9.5 and even when loaded (approx 80+lbs) Outfitter's electric lift mechanism handles it fine. Granted that corner is the last one up and the first one down but that is to be expected. The motor is in the same position as yours.

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #50

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for posting the update.

Interesting comment on the weight limit of the roof. That is something I think potential buyers would have liked to been made aware of BEFORE they laid down their money. Strange that hallmark doesn't mention it on their site.

I have a large roof pod right at the rear edge of my Apex9.5 and even when loaded (approx 80+lbs) Outfitter's electric lift mechanism handles it fine. Granted that corner is the last one up and the first one down but that is to be expected. The motor is in the same position as yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again, Outfitter should be divulging the same information about lift system bars and torsion system. I would be happy to put anyone interested in contact with "Heco" lift systems to verify the information.

"Heco" the mfg. of the lift system bars that all pop-up mfg.'s use does not recommend using the torsion system to lift excess weights in the rear of the camper.

Hallmark's roof can withstand 10 times the weight of the Outfitter roof without failure but is bound by the same lift system bars. Hallmark does manufacture its own reinforced front lift system bars to make our power lift system more useable and strong.

I took the liberty of showing a picture.

I wouldn't try this unless you put sticks in the roof in the rear to keep the side rails from bending.

<sub>Edit: Removed the flaming commentary.</sub>
Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #51

Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #52

Old 08-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #53

Wildcamper
Thanks for sharing the information and photos- this is an AWESOME setup.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #54

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wildcamper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve_in_29:
Thanks for posting the update.

I have a large roof pod right at the rear edge of my Apex9.5 and even when loaded (approx 80+lbs) Outfitter's electric lift mechanism handles it fine. Granted that corner is the last one up and the first one down but that is to be expected. The motor is in the same position as yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again, Outfitter should be divulging the same information about lift system bars and torsion system. I would be happy to put anyone interested in contact with "Heco" lift systems to verify the information.

"Heco" the mfg. of the lift system bars that all pop-up mfg.'s use does not recommend using the torsion system to lift excess weights in the rear of the camper.

Hallmark's roof can withstand 10 times the weight of the Outfitter roof without failure but is bound by the same lift system bars. Hallmark does manufacture its own reinforced front lift system bars to make our power lift system more useable and strong.

I took the liberty of showing a picture.

I wouldn't try this unless you put sticks in the roof in the rear to keep the side rails from bending.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outfitter hasn't left me in the dark. While it's correct that the stock HECO system has weight limits, those limits are not applicable to a company such as Outfitter that builds their own upgraded lift system in-house with thicker tubes and double torsion bars to handle the roof load (even at the rear).

The pictures don't address the issue. The problem mentioned isn't whether or not the roof can support a load once it has been raised. The comment he made was that hallmark said there was a weight limit of 20lbs at the rear of the roof WHEN THE ROOF WAS BEING RAISED/LOWERED and that fact was apparently only mentioned as delivery was being made.

I notice that this hasn't been disputed.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #55

I have seen the so called modified Outfitter lift system (More than once) and it is a HECO lift system.

I know the rear of the lift system can raise 100 to 200lbs. I also know the toll that takes on the lift system. I know that you have an extra torsion bar and modified bars. Hallmark has their own modifications. The lift system lives in the same HECO lift system world.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #56

Nice pic. As I said it's NOT a question of what the roof will take once it is fully up but what it can be raised/lowered with. By the way it's AMAZING how straight and taut that softwall stays, almost like there was something propping it up from inside. It seems the campers in the background might not have been assembled to the high standards exhibited by the one in your group photo, since their softwalls have noticeably more slack in them. Might want to have a talk with Quality Control guys about that.

Closed Thread