Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #1

Jack is binding so I lubed the gears on the electric motor but I can't figure out how to oil the shaft. Their website sais "anytime jack seems to labor more than usual, place a few drops of light oil, ie: 3 in 1R into the oil hole in the crank socket then run the jack to distribute the oil." Mine doesn't seem to have an oil hold in the crank socket. It is a 4500 purchased in 2001. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #2

Jack is binding so I lubed the gears on the electric motor but I can't figure out how to oil the shaft. Their website sais "anytime jack seems to labor more than usual, place a few drops of light oil, ie: 3 in 1R into the oil hole in the crank socket then run the jack to distribute the oil." Mine doesn't seem to have an oil hold in the crank socket. It is a 4500 purchased in 2001. Thanks

Old 08-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #3

There isn't a hole per se, just drop a little oil behind the socket where it meets the jack.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:02 AM   #4

Near the crank part (happijac), you may find plastic caps. I removed the caps and pumped a lot of oil into the holes. Make sure the jack is extended so the oil finds its way to the threaded part. This was a partial solution.

If you don't have these holes and you don't wish to drill your own, you might wish to remove the jack, turn it upside down and then pour oil down the shaft, hopefully oil will find its way onto the threaded bolt.

Others, re Stan Kern on this site, have had this problem. IVER
Old 08-16-2004, 06:25 AM   #5

Here is the website for Happyjac maintenance https://www.happijac.com/jax/maintenance.php It describes how to lube your screwjacks and at what intervals. Good luck.............................Steve...
2002 Chevy Silverado LS, K2500HD, LB, X-Cab, Indigo Metallic, LB7 Duramax 6.6 Ltr Turbo Diesel/M-74 Allison 1000 5-Speed Auto Tranny, BD-Power X-MONITOR (Pyro & Boost) C/W Cool Engine Shutdown Timer,K&N Airfilter, Racor 445R (R90S) Pre-OEM Fuel Filt
J & S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #6

the happijac maintenance site is at best a poor joke (close to the quailty of their product) put some lube fittings in a sensable position on these things ,they certainly cost enough to expect better quailty than we are getting.My hj's were totaly refinished by Bigfoot because they (bigfoot)were ashamed of how bad the rusted
hj's looked on a 2 year old Bigfoot
Old 08-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #7

Suds, I had the same problem, rusting happijac. The powder coat on the front swing outs was too thin, rust began to appear within months after purchase of the BF.

I decided to do the job myself (wanted to avoid all the shipping etc) using phosphoric acid to remove the rust, zinc chromate primer as an anitrust paint, and finally spaying with white epoxy paint--four years and no rust. IVER
Old 09-09-2004, 05:22 AM   #8

About a month ago i wrote lots of disturbing emails about the electric jacks by happijack.
Mine were acting up and the solution became that i might have to replace one at $600.00 each , my camper is 2001.
It was binding and of course its my fault as it was supposed to be worked frequently.(yes ,right).The maintenace is a joke as the lub does not get to the centre screw.I extended mine almost fully and drilled a hole through both tubes and added 1 1/2 oz of oil and worked the jack using a 1/2 drill ,this helped a lot .I did not replace the jack.
I'm going to store them now at different postions as they do not like to sit at the same lenght for long(i think).
I am also going to lub the other three that were still ok.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:24 PM   #9

The HJ jacks can be disassembled by removing the electric motor, then the "differential" gear. The manufacturer techs sent me a drawing of the jacks assembly. The most important part is the Torrington thrust bearing. If this thing rusts the jacks begin to bind. I will try to get stainless steel thrust bearings next time.
Larry.

1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Ayeedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Well this is certainly not good news!
My Lance has set along side the house for over a year now...on the jacks....not moved.
I hope I can get this thing up on the truck with out a jack failing!
Chet
Old 03-07-2005, 09:23 AM   #11
SM

CyberVet, you shouldn't have to worry as your Lance has Atwood jacks.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yer right! Getting all upset over nothing!
Thanks for pointing that out.

p.s. Welcome to the Site!

Chet
Old 03-08-2005, 04:12 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberVet65:
Well this is certainly not good news!
My Lance has set along side the house for over a year now...on the jacks....not moved.
I hope I can get this thing up on the truck with out a jack failing!
Chet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chet,
I don't think you should worry either. Replacing the thrust bearing doesn't take too much time. In 5 years I had to repair two jacks. I was told these jacks are sealed to prevent moisture getting inside. That is virtually impossible to do. However I think the thrust bearing should be stainless steel. This bearing only costs couple of dollars, I can't see the stainless steel version be that much more! Do you here me HAppijack?
Larry.

1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Ayeedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 AM   #14

I recently removed my happijac jacks on our Bigfoot 3000 to touch up a few pin-hole rust areas. Used the opportunity to add oil via the small hole near the top (you need to remove the plastic cap); I also inverted the jacks and let oil dribble to the inside screw bolt hoping the oil would find itself in the screw mechanism.

Remounted the units; they sound great. I do this maintenance ~ once/2 years.

Yes, the happijac support page on this issue is not very helpful.

IVER D