RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Hellwig or Roadmaster sway bar?

I have a dodge dually with no rear sway bar, I'm going to add to my torqlift upper and lower stable loads. I would like to have almost zero roll and I'm close.

What do people prefer and maybe the why behind it please.

Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
laj

Hellwig or Roadmaster sway bar?

well both have good reputations for high quality. both of my dodge dullies have factory sway bars, both front and rear, so i donít need to make that decision. However if i did i would probably use road-master. the main reason is i have their tow system, it has had no issues, and i can go to the factory and have it installed there.

If you donít have one from the factory you will probably need to have brackets welded to your axle.
TCM has a great article on when they installed one on their dodge.

laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #3

I thought they just bolt on? So I will need welding on top?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
laj

not sure what your setup looks like. some just bolt on, while i have heard some require installing brackets. easiest to be sure is just call roadmaster in the a. m.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

We chose the Roadmaster over the Hellwig for our '16 Ram 3500 SRW.

On our truck the Hellwig sway bar required u-clamps to be mounted around the axle, right next to the differential housing. On some Rams the u-clamps interferes with the routing of the brake lines.

The Roadmaster sway bar mounts underneath the bottom shock absorber mounts (and uses existing pre-drilled holes)---just like a lot of OEM applications---no u-clamps needed. The mounting points on the RM sway bar are also 4-5" more outboard (on each side) vs. the u-clamps used on the Hellwig. This more outboard mounting point gives the RM sway bar better leverage vs. the more inboard located u-clamps used on the Hellwig.
Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
laj

great clarification. thanks, makes life easy
Old 10-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Thanks thats good info
Old 10-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #8

You will love this I contacted RM today about a sway bar and they said they have not built one for my truck yet would I be willing to give them the truck for a week so they could build one and pattern it free sway bar, I said yes when I contacted there person to set it up they already had someone coming in next week Now I have to wait until they make one and then put it into production. Maybe Hellwig here I come.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #9
laj

now thats sad. sorry for the loss of a great deal. last time i checked hellwig didnít make one for my gm.
hope you are able to get one.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

To close out the post, I installed Hellwig sway bar today and will test it next weekend. Roadmaster is going to be a while for them to make them and Hellwig was a easy install.

Tags
roadmaster, sway bar