Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #1

Hi guys, I just upgraded from my 1989 F-250 4x4 XLT 460 EFI zf-5 spd SWR to a 2000 F-350 4x4 XLT, 7.3L PSI ZF 6-spd, DWR, SuperDuty, Supercab.

I have a 1996 S&S 8 ft. self contained slide in. I'm anxious to see and feel the difference going from a 3/4 to 0ne-ton and from single rear wheels to duallies. And from gas to diesel.

However I have to purchase and affix some dually extenders to the front camper jacks to clear the dually fender wells.

All reasearch on price for this item has blown me out of the water so drove me to want ads and Craiglist. I found some used ones for sale for $ 60.00 approx a two hour drive away. I have made plans with the seller to pick them up tomorrow.

Can anyone here with a slide in and dually give me any heads up as what to watch for. I am an experianced RV'r just not with my new hauler/tow vehicle.

I just a minute ago discovered on this forum something that hadn't occured to me and might have cost me $$$$ and a headache if I had loaded without noticing and if I hadn't spotted it here while lurking.

How do I rectify the possible clearance issue between the SuperDuty Cab height and the cab over portion of the S&S slide in?

I assume there are spacers but what is the best route for the long term. Also the best for a temp (cheap) solution?

Any and all ideas are welcomed. Is there any chance that the used extenders I'm commited to for tomorrow may not provide the needed clearence? If not are there spacers avail or home made that will solve the issue? Thanks in advance.

John 3:16........2000 F-350 XLT 4x4, ZF6-spd, DRW, 7.3L PSI, BD Powers shift stick mounted Exhaust Brake, 4 in. SS exhaust, SuperChip, SuperHitch 17,000 lb. Gooseneck, SS fenderwell liners, Stull SS running boards.
CharGriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #2

The extenders for your camper depend on the type of jacks you have.

I believe there were some posts here regarding adding plywood to the bottom of your camper to add clearance for your cab lights.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #3

Thanks Ron, I just got back from measuring and the new truck cab height from the bottom of the bed is APPROX 45 ". That's four or five inches taller than my 1989 F-250! Plus because I now have a SuperCab (sorta like a quad cab) I'm not sure if the cab over portion of my camper will even extend out to the cab lights? I think not.

On the F-250 there was a little over hang but now? I tried taking some measurements while the camper is on the saw horses (special built) but because of the curve and measuring solo it's difficult to get a precise measurement. But it's waaaay to close for comfort. Does anybody know how much clearance (space between the top of the cab and the bottom of the cab over of the camper)is recommended to allow for the independent flex and sway that occurs between the cab and the pickup bed?

Even if it clears I don't want to find out the hard way that isn't enough to allow for flexing on uneven terrain?

I thought of building a 2x3 light weight frame and screwing it to the bottom of the camper. I may need way more than screwing a few ¾ inch plywood sheets together might give me. Though I guess I could layer them like pancakes for the needed height if need be. Maybe I’ll get lucky enough for some other 2000 F-350 owner to chime in to their solution.

As for the jack extenders it appears from the pics in the ad that the bolt holes will match up. I just need two holes top and bottom on one inch centers and a bracket approx 14 inches long…. …I……………Think.
John 3:16........2000 F-350 XLT 4x4, ZF6-spd, DRW, 7.3L PSI, BD Powers shift stick mounted Exhaust Brake, 4 in. SS exhaust, SuperChip, SuperHitch 17,000 lb. Gooseneck, SS fenderwell liners, Stull SS running boards.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #4

Clearance has been discussed on other forums. See here and here and here and here.

Generally, it looks like 3" is a good amount to try for. As to the platform, you can read in the above links that some kind of 2x frame with plywood on top is a good solution.

Rick
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #5

Rick, that was VERY helpful. Thanks so much for the extra effort. It was very much appreciated. I can see if I do (and I will) have issues they are readily solvable with very little effort and expense. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
CD

CharGriller
My solution for the jack extenders was to buy 4 pieces of 2 1/2" X 3/16" X the length of the extender (2 bars for each side). I sandwiched the jack and the extender with 2 bars and drilled the holes to match. This gave about 1 1/4" on each side. You will need to measure the fenders & jacks in the extended position to see what if anything you will need.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by CD:
CharGriller
My solution for the jack extenders was to buy 4 pieces of 2 1/2" X 3/16" X the length of the extender (2 bars for each side). I sandwiched the jack and the extender with 2 bars and drilled the holes to match. This gave about 1 1/4" on each side. You will need to measure the fenders & jacks in the extended position to see what if anything you will need.
Hey Cliff...any chance you could post a picture? If not that's okay..I appreciate the tip. I'm leaving tomorrow morn to pick up some used extenders. I'm not sure how much they will add. I might need to do something similar.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
CD

I will try to get picts tomorrow. Then I have figure out how to post them.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Easy to follow, step by step photo instructions are posted HERE.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
CD

Pictures of extentions I made to extend Jack out to clear dually. I used (2) 3/16" X 2 1/2" steel bar on each jack. This gave me a total of 2 1/2".

Dirk
Thanks for the help. I don't think I would have made it with out the detailed instructions.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #11

Dirk, thank you for the help and guidence! Cliff Kudo's for your help! You went the extra mile for me and it's much appreciated. Who ever said a picture is worth a thousand words was right on.

I came back with my used extender hinges yesterday so will be attempting to determine today if I will have to add more to them or not to obtain the needed fender well clearance.

I want to thank all the guys again who responded to my call for assitance on this thread. You all are an example of the brotherhood of RV'rs everywhere.