Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Help with beaver/Monaco slide problem

well the story goes somthing like this, on the first leg of our last trip I noticed a pretty lagre puddle of oil under the front of the Rig. I checked the oil tank for the power steering as it was close to the steering box and it was fine so we continued on. we got back fine and opened the slides at that point I noticed the driver side forward slide struggling a bit I thought maybe that might be part of the issue. Well today I fianaly got a chance to clean it all up and went to pull the slides in and the bedroom was fine and the curbside front was fine but when I went to close the drivers side it wont move, I looked at the ground under the coach and it was leaking real bad from above the gas tank of all places!!!! I repair most stuff myself but Im not dropping that fuel tank!!! My problem now is how to close the slide to get it to a reapair shop? the book shows some release valves at the pump but says it takes several people to do it. I dont now but that slide looks damm heavy! Is there a chance I could fill it up with oil and it will shut? is the tank and pump one unit? If that might work what oil does it take? also if all the oil has leaked out why did the other 2 slide work? sorry for all the questions but this is my first problem with slides. Thanks for any and all input

2005 Beaver Patriot, Cat C9, with Tag!
2005 GMC Duramax Diesel Toad
Beaverfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Beaverfamily -

Just had similar problem over Memorial day holiday. There are MANY posts on this forum detailing with the issue of leaks in the Lippert pump seal. I can't say for sure that you have a Lippert pump on your rig, but there has been a long history for several years of these pumps blowing the seal where the motor shaft goes into the pump. When that happens, you get all the symptoms you describe, including the puddle under the rig, and eventually the pump quits working, and if yours is like mine, the motor burns up. Unfortunately, you are no longer in warranty, and if this is your problem, and you don't have extended coverage, a replacement pump and motor is about $1,200.00.

However, this thing is pretty easy to repair and I followed the great directions that were posted here by Happycarz

Lippert Seal Replacement

and repaired my in a couple hours. I had to get a new motor, since mine was burned up, but it was covered by warranty, otherwise $600.00.

Other posts dealing with this issue can be found here -

Lippert Hydraulic Pump Issues

And my story about fixing mine can be found here -

LCI Hydraulic Pump - Good Experience

As for retracting the slides now, there is an emergency procedure. Monaco supplies a tool, which, hopefully, you can find in your coach. It's a chrome flexible drive shaft that is designed to provide torque to spin the motor shaft and bring in the slides. You need a socket to put on one end to engage the nut at the end of the motor shaft and an electric drill to spin the drive shaft. It didn't work for me, because the pump was too far gone, so the other method is to crack the hydraulic lines loose where the go into the pump manifold and let some fluid drain out. This will release all pressure on the slide pistons, and you can then push the slide back in. It can be done pretty easily with two folks so long as the coach is level. My wife and I did ours, even the long one.

Once you get the slides back in, you will need to secure them with a cargo bar. On my coach, Monaco was kind enough to supply ONE for the two slides. So, we had an exciting time when the curbside decided to deploy on it's own half way home. There is a post here somewhere that describes that fun trip, but suffice to say I now carry TWO cargo bars.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Regards and best wishes,

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Dan & Linda, 2008 Camelot PDQ, 2008 Jeep Wrangler
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Beaverfamily -

I noticed that I didn't answer much in regard to your specific questions, so here goes -

1. The fluid you need is regular ATF fluid. Buy the cheapest kind you can get, it doesn't matter. If the tank is completely empty, it takes four quarts (at least mine does). When the slides are deployed, most of the fluid is in the cylinders and as they come back in, it returns to the tank, so if you slides are deployed, and the tank is empty, I would not fill it more than half full (about two quarts) or you will have a mess if the slides do come in and the tank overflows.

2. From the symptoms you describe, I would not be too optimistic that adding fluid will solve your problem at this stage. I'm thinking your pump/motor is shot.

3. The tank and pump are one assembly consisting of a tank, then e pump, and then the motor. Check the posts I gave you for pictures.

4. If you are referring to your rear slides working, if your's are like mine, they are all electric while the front slides are electric/hydraulic. The all electric slides in the rear are not impacted by your problem.

Hope that helps.
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Dan & Linda, 2008 Camelot PDQ, 2008 Jeep Wrangler
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You'll get more response if placed in the "Monaco" area. This "slide in" area is for pick-ups and the small campers that slide into their beds.
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote