Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #1

Here's yet another weighty question!

We're seriously considering a new Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath Camper but to do so we'll need to upgrade our truck.

Today we looked at & drove a nice 2018 Silverado 3500 HD Crew Cab Long Box 4WD SRW.
It's a bit of a find (after searching long and hard), the price seems good and it has only 12,501 miles on it.

Could this truck be made to be able to handle this camper? If so, how? I know the 1150 is heavy and might be pushing the edge but that doesn't bother me as long as it is safe...

The weight specs are :
GVWR 11000 lbs
GAWR FRONT. 4800 lbs
GAWR REAR. 7050 lbs

The truck itself has a GWV of 4994 lbs

I also know while the 1150 has a dry weight of about 3500 lbs, the "wet weight" could quite easily end up pushing 5150 lbs.

I thought I might just tap into the collective knowledge of these who have already played with beefing up shocks & springs, installing air bags, heavier rated tires, and any other tricks that might make this work...

Thanks for any input,
Philip
philippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

What does the yellow sticker in the door jamb state for the actual available payload for that particular truck as optioned? Add the wet (loaded) weight of the camper plus your passengers and anything else in the cab and it shouldn't exceed the payload on the sticker.
I once had large slide-in camper that I used on two separate F350's of the same model year; one was SRW and the other a DRW. It was night and day regarding stability, especially with side winds.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
laj

the dry weight of the 1150 is closer to 4200lbs. that does not include: batteries, water, propane, a/c, solar, gen, tv, any personal items, or other opts. from a/f. your ready to camp weight will be closer to 6000lbs. now i’m not of the brotherhood of weight police, but that camper will put you over the two weight limits i do watch; raw, and tire. now if you will be towing anything it just goes farther south.
is the p/u gas or diesel? nice camper, just huge. good luck with your endeavor.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!

Here are pics of the two stickers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_181034-1521x923.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	235127   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_180920-1521x739.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	235128  

Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

There is absolute nothing you can do to alter the MFG weight sticker. That was placed on the vehicle by the mfg as a certification to the feds that the vehicle will perforn safely up to the weight as posted on the sricker. Can you alter the vehicle? Sure, 19 inch wheels, new springs, load the camper and go. There are however a few places in North America that if you travel there and IF you get stopped and weight checked besides a ticket you will be parked umtil you can get under the MFG weight sticker.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

So I take it the MFG weight sticker is the white one, with the numbers (GVWR, GAWR, etc) that will also be indelibly printed on the registration for all these who might "ask" to see same...and the yellow sticker refers to the maximum weight that the tires currently installed on that vehicle can handle?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There is absolute nothing you can do to alter the MFG weight sticker. That was placed on the vehicle by the mfg as a certification to the feds that the vehicle will perforn safely up to the weight as posted on the sricker. Can you alter the vehicle? Sure, 19 inch wheels, new springs, load the camper and go. There are however a few places in North America that if you travel there and IF you get stopped and weight checked besides a ticket you will be parked umtil you can get under the MFG weight sticker.

Got a link...any link to which states?

OP
Axle weight is gonna be the real issue
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 AM   #8

Since discussions of "legal weight" and enforcement come up across the Internet, has anyone ever bothered to call the agency in their own state which governs the issue of noncommercial weight limitations and enforcement? Something from the horse's mouth so to speak seems like it may be helpful.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There is absolute nothing you can do to alter the MFG weight sticker. That was placed on the vehicle by the mfg as a certification to the feds that the vehicle will perform safely up to the weight as posted on the sticker.

Can you alter the vehicle? Sure, 19 inch wheels, new springs, load the camper and go.
There are however a few places in North America that if you travel there and IF you get stopped and weight checked besides a ticket you will be parked until you can get under the MFG weight sticker.
Thank you 450Donn for wading into controversial waters here.
Suggesting that its unwise to blow past a vehicle's posted weight ratings on a RV forum is always a dangerous place to put yourself in.

And to jump into this myself I'll answer the question that was posed to you...

The place these posted weight ratings would be enforced is in a court of law.
Be involved in a catastrophic MVA involving loss of life or limb and you'd be surprised what 'facts' will be brought to bear by insurance investigators and attorneys.

My truck's GVWR is 11,700# and I hit the scales at 12,200# when loaded with full gear & water. I know it's wrong, and I know that I risk losing everything I've ever attained in my life if fate goes against me...
But at least I'll admit its wrong.

IMHO if you can stay under your posted GVWR with food & gear (but without water) you have a workable situation.
*RV payload threads are wonderful!
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #10

How do you calculate that?

I apologize for high jacking the thread, but I have a related question.
I expected to see a combined weight spec for both TV and TT on the tow vehicle sticker. I don't see it.
Is 11000# the combined maximum for both vehicles? Or, is the 11000# weight of TV and TV cargo?
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #11

My bad! the Arctic Fox 1150 is a truck camper, not a TT. Please disregard.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Thank you 450Donn for wading into controversial waters here.
Suggesting that its unwise to blow past a vehicle's posted weight ratings on a RV forum is always a dangerous place to put yourself in.

And to jump into this myself I'll answer the question that was posed to you...

The place these posted weight ratings would be enforced is in a court of law.
Be involved in a catastrophic MVA involving loss of life or limb and you'd be surprised what 'facts' will be brought to bear by insurance investigators and attorneys.

My truck's GVWR is 11,700# and I hit the scales at 12,200# when loaded with full gear & water. I know it's wrong, and I know that I risk losing everything I've ever attained in my life if fate goes against me...
But at least I'll admit its wrong.

IMHO if you can stay under your posted GVWR with food & gear (but without water) you have a workable situation.
*RV payload threads are wonderful!
-Ej-
Enforced provided there is a law on the books right?

And you are right, in a civil suit all factors will be brought to bear. :(
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #13

To philippo, the OP: We're Off topic 'yes' but this payload stuff is irresistible.

I have a RAM 3500 with a payload of 3705, (I wish my SRW truck had your Chevy's impressive 3950 Lb GVWR).

Anyhow...
I haul a Northstar Arrow-U camper with a dry weight of 2910#
It hits the scales at 3800# when loaded to the max. Typically I can get that number down to 3600# without much fuss.

My SRW 3500 truck is registered at 12,300 Lb and I hit the CAT Scales at 12,280 Lb. when fully loaded. (legal right?)

My OEM alloy rims (wheels) are rated at 3500# each which gives me a max rear axle capacity of 7000 Lb. Fully loaded I run the rear axle at 7160 Lb.
(not good, but I seldom run maxed out anyhow)

So philippo,
Check out this link. . .
Arctic Fox 1150 dry bath weights

It would seem that with a suggested wet weight of 5129 pounds I'd say it would be a bit much for any SRW truck.

Regards,
-Jake-
Old 02-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Enforced provided there is a law on the books right?
And you are right, in a civil suit all factors will be brought to bear. :(
I have an idea Mr_Fixit,

I should install an emergency 'dump-valve' so if there is an air-bag deployment all my holding tanks instantly dump!

That would certainly put me under GVWR at the moment of impact.
Happy Camping,
-Jake-

Tags
weight