Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Home built truck camper

I,m concidering of building a slide in truck camper. We allready own a 36 foot fifth wheel, but I would like to take this camping to a different level. Like towing a pleasure boat. I,m very handy when it comes to building. I,ve been kicking the idea around for few weeks now. Has anyone built there own unit? And if so what plans did you use? Glen-L has prints, but are there any others out there? I used glen l prints on building a 10ft hydro-plane race boat and was very pleased. My big thing is I get more enjoyment of building then the enjoyment. Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

Check out Truck Camper Magazine | Truck Campers Go Anywhere and see what you can find out. From reading a bit, I do know center of gravity is a huge area of concern for truck campers.

rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

You will never get the light weight and strength of a quality TC, they have been refining it for ever
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I built a cabover several years ago when wood was used. I LOOKED AT SEVERAL UNITS BY DIFFERENT manufacturers and not finding a suitable unit, decided to design and build my own. Slides are used now, so that may be a different consideration. You can easily decide what features you want and need. Good luck with your decision-making.
David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

Well after checking several pictorial,s. And gathering information around net. Seeing pictures of home builts, was proof enough that you don,t need a production line to build your dream. Just some common sense and some old fashion work ethics.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_coupe 34 View Post
Well after checking several pictorial,s. And gathering information around net. Seeing pictures of home builts, was proof enough that you don,t need a production line to build your dream. Just some common sense and some old fashion work ethics.
and that is the formula that is missing for a lot if people these days.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
GRD

Quote:
I,m concidering of building a slide in truck camper. We allready own a 36 foot fifth wheel, but I would like to take this camping to a different level. Like towing a pleasure boat. I,m very handy when it comes to building. I,ve been kicking the idea around for few weeks now. Has anyone built there own unit? And if so what plans did you use? Glen-L has prints, but are there any others out there? I used glen l prints on building a 10ft hydro-plane race boat and was very pleased. My big thing is I get more enjoyment of building then the enjoyment. Joe
I built my own in 2004 and still using it today. It has a little over 100000 miles on it and looks like it did the day I completed it. The design is my own, it was built to fit a 2003 Ram 2500 and now is in my 2006 Ram 2500. The total length is 15' with 9' of floor. The total cost was just over $3400. Empty weight 1960 Lbs. If you need some info I would be happy to help! I am new to the forum, I tried to upload a photo hope it works.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
GRD

Home built

I built my own in 2004 and still using it today. It has a little over 100000 miles on it and looks like it did the day I completed it. The design is my own, it was built to fit a 2003 Ram 2500 and now is in my 2006 Ram 2500. The total length is 15' with 9' of floor. The total cost was just over $3400. Empty weight 1960 Lbs. If you need some info I would be happy to help! I am new to the forum, I tried to upload a photo hope it works.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Back when I was ambitious I bought a set of Glen-L plans. That's as far as it went :-/
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #10

We are finishing up a home built slide in (well, slide on, it is a flatbed) truck camper.

It was not cheap. We built it to last. The roof is one continuous piece of aluminum with zero holes and then covered with truck bed liner. Probably will need to check it in 20 years or so. The camper has a welded steel tube frame and skinned with 0.062 aluminum. We used 2 inches of polyisocyanurate insulation and isolated the metal from the interior. The roof will have 1100 watts of solar panels which attach to a rack bolted from the sides of the camper (to keep the zero holes in roof).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loftviewkitchen.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	65370   Click image for larger version

Name:	driverside.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	65371  

Click image for larger version

Name:	passengerside.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	65372  
Old 06-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
friends help too..standing the walls and assembling the roof can be tricky by one's self.. I built my own using a 68 Franklin 11fk as a template doing 95% of the work by myself..
Old 08-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Have you done any more research on the subject of building your own TC? I have always wanted to build a TC myself. I am not impressed with the construction techniques used in most RV's built these days. I work as a registered nurse now, but many years ago I was an RV service technician. I did the side wall repairs, accident repairs, electrical work. I have rebuilt motorhomes that had their roofs torn off by a tornado. Over the years there were several TC's that came in with serious water damage. I de-skinned them and rebuilt them back to useable condition. My father and I converted four busses into custom coaches. I know that I have the experience and skill to design and build a good coach. The best way to build a TC is to construct an aluminum welded framework like the HRC TC's, Avion TC's, Silverstreak TC's and a couple other brands used before bonded construction became the norm. My problem is that I don't know how to weld. Wood framed construction is still a valid method to build a rugged coach. Some of the current brands designed for off road use are made the old fashioned way, wood frame with aluminum skin. If built right, those units hold up well. Bonded construction is good for weight savings. Weight can be a real problem with TC's. Center of gravity and balance are another issue. I have thought about using 3/4 inch plywood, bonded, doubled for a 1.5 inch wall. Wood is a better insulator than Styrofoam. If the panels are staggered, strength would be outstanding. Windows, doors, access doors and vents could be cut in any where. The corners would be staggered joints, reinforced with steel angle the length of the joint. Wiring would have to be placed inside of cabinets, probably in conduit. Weight would be a negative factor, as an all plywood coach will be heavy. The outside skin can be aluminum stapled like a wood frame unit or fiberglass bonded construction. I like the idea of fiberglass bonded to the plywood structure. There are some other issues to work out, but that is the jest of my ideas.